The Student Room Group

Ideal answers for Exam Question

When there are several ways to complete a question, including quick methods, is it ok to choose any of them, or does it have to be a specific method?

Today I’m doing unknown and known percentage questions. There are very quick methods, such as cancelling and moving the decimal point but there are longer methods such as finding 10% then 5% then adding together. Would I drop marks by not doing a specific method?
Reply 1
Original post by Heatherthebat
When there are several ways to complete a question, including quick methods, is it ok to choose any of them, or does it have to be a specific method?

Today I’m doing unknown and known percentage questions. There are very quick methods, such as cancelling and moving the decimal point but there are longer methods such as finding 10% then 5% then adding together. Would I drop marks by not doing a specific method?

As long as your method is clear and valid it will be fine.

Moving a decimal point sounds dodgy - it's the numbers that move - perhaps you could give an example of what you mean?
Reply 2
Thanks.

6% of 40
Becomes 0.06 x 40 = 2.4

It was a short on YT 🤷🏻
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Thanks.

6% of 40
Becomes 0.06 x 40 = 2.4

It was a short on YT 🤷🏻

Looks fine. 6% is equivalent to a multiplier of 6/100 = 0.06
Reply 4
Yes that’s how I read it.
Reply 5
Yes that’s how I read it.

Without wanting to stretch out a "one liner" too much, you could do
6*40 = 240,
then divide by 100 (shift dp two places) to get 2.4. Keep the multiplication as integers then a simple dp shift/division by 100

Or use the 6% of 40 is 40% of 6 trick to get
0.4*6 = 2.4

or ...
Reply 6
Thanks.

6% of 40
Becomes 0.06 x 40 = 2.4

It was a short on YT 🤷🏻

That's not moving a decimal point at all
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
Without wanting to stretch out a "one liner" too much, you could do
6*40 = 240,
then divide by 100 (shift dp two places) to get 2.4. Keep the multiplication as integers then a simple dp shift/division by 100

Or use the 6% of 40 is 40% of 6 trick to get
0.4*6 = 2.4

or ...

NOOOOOO!!!! We do not move decimal points - that's very bad practice ... we move the digits. Surprised to see you recommend this

Quick Reply

Latest