The Student Room Group

Centre of mass

image-b4213456-a5e6-42b1-aaad-aadd4919becd3690525794351064590-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Could someone solve this in another way because I got an answer of 0.53, but the answer at the back is root 5 over 5

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by SeverusESnape
image-b4213456-a5e6-42b1-aaad-aadd4919becd3690525794351064590-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Could someone solve this in another way because I got an answer of 0.53, but the answer at the back is root 5 over 5

Thanks

Can you upload your attempt? I get the same as the book.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766

image-d25e2d52-baf7-49e2-8df8-40a4aac85bb58765587207467579546-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Original post by mqb2766

May I see what you've done...?
Original post by mqb2766

Apologies for the bad handwriting
Reply 5
I started by assuming that the origin is at C.
So (by symmetry) the horizontal com is zero and the vertical com is the distance.
So work out the vertical com in terms of the midpoints of the sides. Side 4 drops out.
Does that help any?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
I started by assuming that the origin is at C.
So (by symmetry) the horizontal com is zero and the vertical com is the distance.
So work out the vertical com in terms of the midpoints of the sides. Side 4 drops out.
Does that help any?

So you just changed the origin and got the right answer? I'm out by like 0.1 because root 5 over 5 is 0.4... I just chose A as my origin which SHOULD give me root 5 over 5. Can you post your working? Have you rounded your values?
Reply 7
So you just changed the origin and got the right answer? I'm out by like 0.1 because root 5 over 5 is 0.4... I just chose A as my origin which SHOULD give me root 5 over 5. Can you post your working? Have you rounded your values?

Tbh, I didn't fully understand your working. Can you annotate it to explain it a bit better. I didn't round, as using surds was reasonably straightforward.

You're correct, that it should not matter where the origin is, but placing it at C is an obvious place which simplifies the calculation. If I was you, I'd try reworking it with the origin at C. Happy to help you with your work, but I'm not posting solutions.
(edited 4 years ago)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Can someone solve it and post their working please

The forum rules say the maths forum is not a homework service. See the sticky at the top.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
The forum rules say the maths forum is not a homework service. See the sticky at the top.

Nvm I got the answer
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest