The Student Room Group

aqa a level physics mechanics

"A vehicle has a wheelbase of 1.8m and a centre of mass, when unloaded which is 0.8m from the ground.

Calculate the maximum angle of the slope to the horizontal if the vehicle is not to topple over"

i really dont get how to do this, i know other people have asked about this question before but i still dont understand any of their explanations ?
Original post by quizuku
"A vehicle has a wheelbase of 1.8m and a centre of mass, when unloaded which is 0.8m from the ground.

Calculate the maximum angle of the slope to the horizontal if the vehicle is not to topple over"

i really dont get how to do this, i know other people have asked about this question before but i still dont understand any of their explanations ?

Does it give the mass?
Reply 2
nope, it doesnt thats why im confused, apparently u just have to use trigonometry but i still didnt get the answer
Reply 3
Original post by quizuku
nope, it doesnt thats why im confused, apparently u just have to use trigonometry but i still didnt get the answer

Drawing a diagram may help, but would topple (take moments) when the COM is outside the shadow of the wheelbase on the inclined slope. So the critical angle would correspond to a slope angle where the COM is directly above one end of the wheelbase shadow.

As you say, its a bit of trig.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest