The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Need help choosing a Durham college, please!

What kind of things should I keep in mind when choosing?
Thinking of Castle but it's so popular likely I won't get it.
If you want the 'posh' college experience, colleges on the Bailey such as St Cuthberts, John's, Chad's, Hatfield, etc. are good for that and as a result are very popular. However, some people don't like the idea of overly formal colleges/private school atmosphere/catered colleges, in which case the Hill colleges like Josephine Butler, John snow and South college are better. These ones are less glamorous and, in my opinion, get a bad rep from others, but if you prefer to be more insular then they are good. South and John snow are also quite new so will be modern and very clean. They are further out from the city though, so if you're very social then the Bailey colleges may be better.

It sounds like you would prefer the Bailey colleges, in which case I would reccomend taking a look at St Chad's, St Cuthberts, Hatfield, etc. But be warned they are also very popular. I think one of the few which is rarely oversubscribed is St John's. I hope this helped!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by HRobson_BMC
If you want the 'posh' college experience, colleges on the Bailey such as St Cuthberts, John's, Chad's, Hatfield, etc. are good for that and as a result are very popular. However, some people don't like the idea of overly formal colleges/private school atmosphere/catered colleges, in which case the Hill colleges like Josephine Butler, John snow and South college are better. These ones are less glamorous and, in my opinion, get a bad rep from others, but if you prefer to be more insular then they are good. South and John snow are also quite new so will be modern and very clean. They are further out from the city though, so if you're very social then the Bailey colleges may be better.

It sounds like you would prefer the Bailey colleges, in which case I would reccomend taking a look at St Chad's, St Cuthberts, Hatfield, etc. But be warned they are also very popular. I think one of the few which is rarely oversubscribed is St John's. I hope this helped!

What I am looking for is the following:
- not too pricey (I am not financially well-off)
- Self-catered
- Ideally my own bathroom

For accommodation, where can I find prices for different colleges? I am home student btw.
Original post by Anonymous
What I am looking for is the following:
- not too pricey (I am not financially well-off)
- Self-catered
- Ideally my own bathroom

For accommodation, where can I find prices for different colleges? I am home student btw.

For a private bathroom and self-catered I would suggest one of the Hill Colleges like John Snow, Josephine Butler. There are some other self-catered colleges but I can't remember which off memory. The prices should be on the website. I'll take a look and link the pages if I can find them.
This is the link for the accommodation costs:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/costs/
Reply 5
Original post by HRobson_BMC
This is the link for the accommodation costs:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/costs/

thanks so much x I am thinking of putting down Castle because it looks like a DREAM but as many have said, apparently it's very unlikely that I will get it and they will allocate me some other **** college that I might NOT want to go to. What would you advise? Should I put down Castle or not risk it and choose another college?
Reply 6
@HRobson_BMC

hanks so much x I am thinking of putting down Castle because it looks like a DREAM but as many have said, apparently it's very unlikely that I will get it and they will allocate me some other **** college that I might NOT want to go to. What would you advise? Should I put down Castle or not risk it and choose another college?

Also, the accommodation cost, does it come out of student loan? Is there any point in trying to look for cheaper accommodation if so?

Quick Reply

Latest