The Student Room Group

Being an exchange student

Im not sure what applications and UCAS mean but my question is that basically, im in the uk and im going in to year 10
I dont think i would want to be an exchange student to the USA while doing my gcses so im thinking about doing a year in USA after i finish year 11. Im not sure how it would work because obviously highschool over there is until u are 18 and in the uk i would just go to college afterwards but if i was to take a year in america and miss the first year of uk college, would i have to take an extra year at college ? Because i missed it?
I dont know what i want to do with my life and what i want to work as but i know i want to experience going to other places soo i just dont know
I still have 2 years but please someone give me advice on what to do i would appreciate it🙏🏽
Also can i please have tips on how i could fund it ? Like is there any programmes where i could get some of it payed for me and i pay them back
Or maybe i do my first year at college in england and then go to america?? I dont know what to dooo
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by missauses
Im not sure what applications and UCAS mean but my question is that basically, im in the uk and im going in to year 10
I dont think i would want to be an exchange student to the USA while doing my gcses so im thinking about doing a year in USA after i finish year 11. Im not sure how it would work because obviously highschool over there is until u are 18 and in the uk i would just go to college afterwards but if i was to take a year in america and miss the first year of uk college, would i have to take an extra year at college ? Because i missed it?
I dont know what i want to do with my life and what i want to work as but i know i want to experience going to other places soo i just dont know
I still have 2 years but please someone give me advice on what to do i would appreciate it🙏🏽
Also can i please have tips on how i could fund it ? Like is there any programmes where i could get some of it payed for me and i pay them back
Or maybe i do my first year at college in england and then go to america?? I dont know what to dooo

Hi there

I'm an international student in the UK so completely understand the desire for and importance of international exposure. I'm not sure how that would work at the school and college level in the UK but I can tell you about opportunities to go outside the UK if you go to university. My advice is a bit Durham-related but different unis will also have their own provisions so you can look into them when doing your own research.

1. Study abroad- This will essentially allow you to study in a country other than the UK for one year between the penultimate and final years of your undergrad. Most UK undergrad degrees are 3 years long but with a year abroad, you can make it a 4-year degree. However, you may not have this option for all courses so it's best to check the university's website first or ask the admissions team. Here's a story of a Durham student who did a year abroad in Germany: https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/my-study-abroad-experience-in-germany/

2. Research internships- Several of these exist mostly as a pact between universities and countries. This allows you to undertake a summer research internship in a university in another country. Some of these programmes are funded so you'll be reimbursed for all travel and visa expenses and may be provided a living expense (including accommodation) as well. For Durham, we have a dedicated team which looks after Global Opportunities and they're advertised on the website. Some destinations I've heard of include Shanghai, Seoul, USA, Canada, Brazil, Vietnam. There are so many more opportunities and there's loads of more information but you'd need to be a Durham student to access that.

3. You can also undertake international volunteering and there will usually be university societies that have student-led volunteering projects. I'm not sure about the funding here but again loads of support and information is available from the careers service. Here's a student perspective on Enactus- a volunteering project at Durham

4. Work abroad- You can work in one of the international destinations for a year if you opt for a placement year. This is just like study abroad, except you're working (not studying) and can also choose to work in the UK (which most placement students do). Almost all courses at Durham allow you to do a placement and this can be abroad. The good thing is that you get international exposure, work experience for your CV as well as get paid in the process so definitely a great option to explore. However, placements are competitive and you will have to find opportunities and apply for them although the careers service can offer some support.

Hope that helps, I know it wasn't directly related to your current situation but something to think about for the future :smile:

-Himieka
Reply 2
There are a lot of great programs with 2-4 week long exchanges for secondary students that want to visit the US. It lets you visit the country without the hassle of needing a visa and all that, and also means you dont have to worry about your college graduation requirements. They're kind of expensive but some have scholarships depending on your household income.

In regards to a full year though, I've had friends from other countries ( Spain, France and Portugal ) who did year long exchanges in the US and Canada, but all of them did it through programs that their school ran or were involved in. The school picked a foreign school that had a similar curriculum/courses and 3 or 4 students from the school went over at the same time to improve their English and learn. Talk to a counselor at your school and see if they have any options, and exchanges opportunities are a good thing to ask about and keep in mind when you're choosing a college.
Reply 3
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

I'm an international student in the UK so completely understand the desire for and importance of international exposure. I'm not sure how that would work at the school and college level in the UK but I can tell you about opportunities to go outside the UK if you go to university. My advice is a bit Durham-related but different unis will also have their own provisions so you can look into them when doing your own research.

1. Study abroad- This will essentially allow you to study in a country other than the UK for one year between the penultimate and final years of your undergrad. Most UK undergrad degrees are 3 years long but with a year abroad, you can make it a 4-year degree. However, you may not have this option for all courses so it's best to check the university's website first or ask the admissions team. Here's a story of a Durham student who did a year abroad in Germany: https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/my-study-abroad-experience-in-germany/

2. Research internships- Several of these exist mostly as a pact between universities and countries. This allows you to undertake a summer research internship in a university in another country. Some of these programmes are funded so you'll be reimbursed for all travel and visa expenses and may be provided a living expense (including accommodation) as well. For Durham, we have a dedicated team which looks after Global Opportunities and they're advertised on the website. Some destinations I've heard of include Shanghai, Seoul, USA, Canada, Brazil, Vietnam. There are so many more opportunities and there's loads of more information but you'd need to be a Durham student to access that.

3. You can also undertake international volunteering and there will usually be university societies that have student-led volunteering projects. I'm not sure about the funding here but again loads of support and information is available from the careers service. Here's a student perspective on Enactus- a volunteering project at Durham

4. Work abroad- You can work in one of the international destinations for a year if you opt for a placement year. This is just like study abroad, except you're working (not studying) and can also choose to work in the UK (which most placement students do). Almost all courses at Durham allow you to do a placement and this can be abroad. The good thing is that you get international exposure, work experience for your CV as well as get paid in the process so definitely a great option to explore. However, placements are competitive and you will have to find opportunities and apply for them although the careers service can offer some support.

Hope that helps, I know it wasn't directly related to your current situation but something to think about for the future :smile:

-Himieka

I havent heard of an internship before but ill have a look now thank you for all your help!
Reply 4
Original post by Foxehh
There are a lot of great programs with 2-4 week long exchanges for secondary students that want to visit the US. It lets you visit the country without the hassle of needing a visa and all that, and also means you dont have to worry about your college graduation requirements. They're kind of expensive but some have scholarships depending on your household income.

In regards to a full year though, I've had friends from other countries ( Spain, France and Portugal ) who did year long exchanges in the US and Canada, but all of them did it through programs that their school ran or were involved in. The school picked a foreign school that had a similar curriculum/courses and 3 or 4 students from the school went over at the same time to improve their English and learn. Talk to a counselor at your school and see if they have any options, and exchanges opportunities are a good thing to ask about and keep in mind when you're choosing a college.

I didnt know you could go for a few weeks instead of months that actually sounds more fit for me thank you ! That helped a lot
Reply 5
Original post by missauses
I didnt know you could go for a few weeks instead of months that actually sounds more fit for me thank you ! That helped a lot

Yes, I personally chose that option, and it was the best experience of my life :smile: If you want to know any details feel free to pm me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending