The Student Room Group

I don’t understand the founder effect?

My textbook says “if a new population is established by a very small number of individuals who originate from a larger parent population, the new population is likely to exhibit loss of genetic variation.

If that’s the case, what makes it different from the genetic bottleneck?

(Title wasn’t supposed to have the question mark at the end but I can’t change it on this app 😐)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I think that the founder effect is where members of the original population migrate and establish a new sub-population in a different area.
As the number of individuals in the new sub-population is v small (lets say 100) its gene pool will not be as diverse as the original population (with a population of lets say 1,000,000)

The genetic bottleneck, on the other hand, is where the original population size shrinks - for example due to natural diasters or deforestation. This means that a fewer number of individuals survive in the population - the gene pool is reduced. The population then grows again, from these surviving individuals

I think the underlying concept is the same - genetic drift, except founder effect is due to migration and the genetic bottleneck is due to a disruptive change in the habitat.
here's another way to word it :

The founder effect is when specific alleles of genes may be lost from a population when some organisms become isolated from the main population and "found" a new separate population. This new population contains a random selection of alleles from the parent population

The bottleneck effect is when the majority of a population may die out due to natural disaster such as tsunami, flood or fire and a large number of genes are lost. However, survivors carry a small random selection of genes from the original population. This results in a change in frequency of alleles in a population and significant loss of genetic variation.
Reply 3
Original post by app_
I think that the founder effect is where members of the original population migrate and establish a new sub-population in a different area.
As the number of individuals in the new sub-population is v small (lets say 100) its gene pool will not be as diverse as the original population (with a population of lets say 1,000,000)

The genetic bottleneck, on the other hand, is where the original population size shrinks - for example due to natural diasters or deforestation. This means that a fewer number of individuals survive in the population - the gene pool is reduced. The population then grows again, from these surviving individuals

I think the underlying concept is the same - genetic drift, except founder effect is due to migration and the genetic bottleneck is due to a disruptive change in the habitat.

Original post by stereotypeasian
here's another way to word it :

The founder effect is when specific alleles of genes may be lost from a population when some organisms become isolated from the main population and "found" a new separate population. This new population contains a random selection of alleles from the parent population

The bottleneck effect is when the majority of a population may die out due to natural disaster such as tsunami, flood or fire and a large number of genes are lost. However, survivors carry a small random selection of genes from the original population. This results in a change in frequency of alleles in a population and significant loss of genetic variation.

I understand it much better now. Thank you both so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending