The Student Room Group

Vector valued scalar function?

Hi (again!)

In the notes my lecturer has given us for line integrals over scalar fields, he talks about "vector valued scalar functions" .

To me this seems contradictory;
I thought a vector valued function was a function taking in either a vector or scalar and outputting a vector, and I thought a scalar function was something outputting a scalar?

Which of these definitions is wrong?
I'm terribly confused and would greatly appreciate any clarification!
Reply 1
Original post by marinaelise
Hi (again!)

In the notes my lecturer has given us for line integrals over scalar fields, he talks about "vector valued scalar functions" .

To me this seems contradictory;
I thought a vector valued function was a function taking in either a vector or scalar and outputting a vector, and I thought a scalar function was something outputting a scalar?

Which of these definitions is wrong?
I'm terribly confused and would greatly appreciate any clarification!

Which function was it? I presume its a function taking in a scalar and outputting a vector.
What you have written is correct.

Only thing I can think of is a vector valued function whose input is a scalar, but the terminology would be nonstandard.
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
Which function was it? I presume its a function taking in a scalar and outputting a vector.

it was actually a function taking a vector outputting a scalar, which makes me wonder if its a mistake
Reply 4
it was actually a function taking a vector outputting a scalar, which makes me wonder if its a mistake

Vector valued generally means the reverse. Why not ask the lecturer?
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
Vector valued generally means the reverse. Why not ask the lecturer?

I don't want to be the one who points out mistakes in his notes :frown: I guess I don't make a habit of it I'll do that :smile:
I don't want to be the one who points out mistakes in his notes :frown: I guess I don't make a habit of it I'll do that :smile:

Just ask! Think of it as doing your future classmates a favour by clearing up some confusion :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by RDKGames
Just ask! Think of it as doing your future classmates a favour by clearing up some confusion :smile:

haha :h:, a nice way to put it!

Quick Reply

Latest