The Student Room Group

Circular motion, forces

I’m stuck on an Isaac physics question, I’ve tried this a couple times and keep getting the same answer.
Attachment not found

My working out is here,
Attachment not found

Also I have watched the hint video and they got a different equation when equating the vertical forces. I have Ncos(30) + mu*Nsin(30) = mg, but they have -mu *Nsin(30). On the diagram they have also drawn the friction force down the slope, but surely it should be up the slope? Super confused. Would appreciate help.

Also here is an image of the hint with a diagram and their starting equations.
Attachment not found
Original post by Maximus 190
I’m stuck on an Isaac physics question, I’ve tried this a couple times and keep getting the same answer.
Attachment not found

My working out is here,
Attachment not found

Also I have watched the hint video and they got a different equation when equating the vertical forces. I have Ncos(30) + mu*Nsin(30) = mg, but they have -mu *Nsin(30). On the diagram they have also drawn the friction force down the slope, but surely it should be up the slope? Super confused. Would appreciate help.

Also here is an image of the hint with a diagram and their starting equations.
Attachment not found

There is nothing attached.

TSR has problems with attachements sometimes - try uploading to your favourite image hosting site and linking across.
Original post by ghostwalker
TSR has problems with attachements sometimes - try uploading to your favourite image hosting site and linking across.

https://imgur.com/a/i78v1ZY

Question asks for the maximum speed. I.e. if it went any faster the car would not make it round the curve. So friction is acting, in general, towards the centre of rotation, and hence down the slope.
Question asks for the maximum speed. I.e. if it went any faster the car would not make it round the curve. So friction is acting, in general, towards the centre of rotation, and hence down the slope.

Oh right okay, I’ll try it again in a little bit. Thanks

Tried that, now I’m just getting the same final equation but negative mu * sin 30 on the bottom. This gives me a negative value for the velocity squared?
Tried that, now I’m just getting the same final equation but negative mu * sin 30 on the bottom. This gives me a negative value for the velocity squared?

EAEBC996-A733-4111-8090-5F15FA229DDF.jpg.jpeg

At a guess you only changed one of your intial equations, but I've no idea as you haven't posted any working!
At a guess you only changed one of your intial equations, but I've no idea as you haven't posted any working!

Do you see my working out now? I can upload to another site and link if not. I have the sane equations as the hint video now
Do you see my working out now? I can upload to another site and link if not. I have the sane equations as the hint video now

Can see it now. cos30-mu sin 30 is still postive, giving a positive v^2. Does it not?
Can see it now. cos30-mu sin 30 is still postive, giving a positive v^2. Does it not?

Ohhh I’m in radians, one second ffs lol

Yeah that worked, thanks!
Ohhh I’m in radians.

Classic! One thing to watch out for in exams, where you might have some questions in degrees and others in radians.

Quick Reply

Latest