The Student Room Group

Help mechanics

Which was does the air resistance act in a level mechanics??IMG_2440.jpeg
Which is it 1 or 2?

For this question it acts upwards but idk why and how I would know if it acts against the driving force or up 😭
IMG_2440.jpegIMG_2442.jpegIMG_2443.jpeg
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Which was does the air resistance act in a level mechanics??

do you mean "way"? It's "resistance" - so like friction it typically acts against the motion. Do you have a specific question you're working on?
Reply 2
Original post by davros
do you mean "way"? It's "resistance" - so like friction it typically acts against the motion. Do you have a specific question you're working on?

Hey I’ve updated my q. And I mean way as in upwards like on image one, or left like in image 2 (against driving force)
Reply 3
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Hey I’ve updated my q. And I mean way as in upwards like on image one, or left like in image 2 (against driving force)

Neither of your images really makes much sense in the context of the actual problem - there's no "driving force" for the ball, and air resistance acts against the direction of motion, not against other forces.

Air resistance resists motion. If a ball is falling, then air resistance acts upwards to slow the descent; if the ball were thrown upwards, then air resistance would act downwards to slow the ascent.
Reply 4
Original post by davros
Neither of your images really makes much sense in the context of the actual problem - there's no "driving force" for the ball, and air resistance acts against the direction of motion, not against other forces.

Air resistance resists motion. If a ball is falling, then air resistance acts upwards to slow the descent; if the ball were thrown upwards, then air resistance would act downwards to slow the ascent.

Thanks!! That last paragraph was great

Quick Reply

Latest