The Student Room Group

Hey please help me with this question. Thank you

Hey, iv just finished an exam question for Eduqas English language. It was a review question on a book. What grade would I get for this:
A Christmas You’ll never forget!
Are you feeling festive yet? If not, you soon will be. A Christmas Carol is one of the best books I’ve ever read. Let me get straight to the point: you need to go and read this brilliant book today!
Ebenezer Scrooge isn’t someone you’ll like to come across with. His selfish ways has an effect on a lot of people, so it’s up to the ghosts to try and transform Scrooge. Is it possible for Scrooge to change? I won’t tell you but I’m sure you’ll soon find out.
Best Bits!
Firstly, Charles Dickens is an incredible author. His book is sympathetic exciting and understanding as Dickens portrays his opinions of society within this breathtaking book. It is well known that Charles Dickens is one of England’s best ever writers with of the books like Oliver twist and David Copperfield but a Christmas Carol is definitely his best book and will certainly be a best seller! Secondly, the way the story was told was impeccable. Have you ever finish to book it with him one day? You will! When I read the first stave, I couldn’t believe what I was reading. 99% of the people that have read this book claim it as their favourite. After finishing this book my opinions have changed and I have started to help as much as possible.
Boring Bit!
Although I adored the book, One minor downfall was that it was too short. The ending was the best I had ever seen but Dickens could’ve added a couple more pages because I didn’t want it to end.
However, overall the book Was outstanding and I will definitely be reading it again. The books story, characters and language makes it one of the best ever books.

Thank you. Xx
Original post by SF2
Hey, iv just finished an exam question for Eduqas English language. It was a review question on a book. What grade would I get for this:
Are you feeling festive yet? If not, you soon will be. A Christmas Carol is one of the best books I’ve ever read. Let me get straight to the point: you need to go and read this brilliant book today!
Ebenezer Scrooge isn’t someone you’ll like to come across with. His selfish ways has an effect on a lot of people, so it’s up to the ghosts to try and transform Scrooge. Is it possible for Scrooge to change? I won’t tell you but I’m sure you’ll soon find out.
Best Bits!
Firstly, Charles Dickens is an incredible author. His book is sympathetic exciting and understanding as Dickens portrays his opinions of society within this breathtaking book. It is well known that Charles Dickens is one of England’s best ever writers with of the books like Oliver twist and David Copperfield but a Christmas Carol is definitely his best book and will certainly be a best seller! Secondly, the way the story was told was impeccable. Have you ever finish to book it with him one day? You will! When I read the first stave, I couldn’t believe what I was reading. 99% of the people that have read this book claim it as their favourite. After finishing this book my opinions have changed and I have started to help as much as possible.
Boring Bit!
Although I adored the book, One minor downfall was that it was too short. The ending was the best I had ever seen but Dickens could’ve added a couple more pages because I didn’t want it to end.
However, overall the book Was outstanding and I will definitely be reading it again. The books story, characters and language makes it one of the best ever books.

Thank you. Xx

all i'd say is to try and reduce the use of 'best', and also try and develop your use of sentences. As a book review, you did keep it brief whilst selling the plot as well - which is really good. But there seemed to be a few things that weren't wrong, but can be improved :smile:. There was a cliche about not liking the book which was too short, that could be replaced by an elaborated opinion (e.g. 'although I turned every page with delight, some chapters were just too short for my liking, like when Scrooge proceeds to reflect on his past mistakes, which my classmates agreed with'). You stated that Dickens portrays his opinions on society, which shows you know of Dickens' intentions, but personally I think there could be more context-specific details: Victorian society, upper class, lower class, details of Dickens' childhood, workhouses, poverty, capitalism etc.
There was a good use of discourse markers like 'although', 'however', 'overall', 'firstly'. But some of the uses were a bit confused, for example "however, overall" can just be replaced with "overall"
I don't do Eduqas English language so if anyone could provide an estimate of a grade, it would be appreciated. As I scanned the text, these were most the things I found, they're quite minor mistakes and reviews are meant to be semi-informal depending on the audience, so I wouldn't fret much now :smile:

Nimit : D
Original post by SF2
Best Bits!
Boring Bit!

Thank you. Xx

Jesus - are you submitting this as a review - the Christmas Carol was a story about greed and poverty - you have reduced it to a shadow of its worth. Best seller, favourite, added more pages..... also so grammatically clunking.
Reply 3
Original post by NimitMistry13
all i'd say is to try and reduce the use of 'best', and also try and develop your use of sentences. As a book review, you did keep it brief whilst selling the plot as well - which is really good. But there seemed to be a few things that weren't wrong, but can be improved :smile:. There was a cliche about not liking the book which was too short, that could be replaced by an elaborated opinion (e.g. 'although I turned every page with delight, some chapters were just too short for my liking, like when Scrooge proceeds to reflect on his past mistakes, which my classmates agreed with'). You stated that Dickens portrays his opinions on society, which shows you know of Dickens' intentions, but personally I think there could be more context-specific details: Victorian society, upper class, lower class, details of Dickens' childhood, workhouses, poverty, capitalism etc.
There was a good use of discourse markers like 'although', 'however', 'overall', 'firstly'. But some of the uses were a bit confused, for example "however, overall" can just be replaced with "overall"
I don't do Eduqas English language so if anyone could provide an estimate of a grade, it would be appreciated. As I scanned the text, these were most the things I found, they're quite minor mistakes and reviews are meant to be semi-informal depending on the audience, so I wouldn't fret much now :smile:

Nimit : D

Thank you for your feedback I really appreciate it and will definitely try to use it so I can improve.
Original post by SF2

Maybe 2 or 3. It's absolutely terrible.
Reply 5
Original post by SF2
Thank you for your feedback I really appreciate it and will definitely try to use it so I can improve.

It's a great start and I'm sure that if you follow the tips others have given, it'll be even better! GL
it depends how old you are tbh

Quick Reply

Latest