The Student Room Group

Reflecting on life

i feel like every thing that u value is what society values and people have forgotten that they are just one of 7.5 billion with trillions of other animals on a small rock floating in space with trillions on trillions of other planets.And ... i see people working hard and making millions and others who are trying to get more like on comments on you-tube but at the end all that does not matter people will move on even if u was famous people will forget u at some point , maybe not in 10 years but in hundred-but that does not matter because ur dead.IDK tell me what u think ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Perhaps life and the moments we live have no value... but the experience is far better when we act like it does.
exactly,ur sooooo insignificant that nothing u do matters and every thing u think that matters are thing that u think matter in Ur head and life is point less and filled with suffering and joy and nothing last for ever
Original post by Failure In Life
exactly,ur sooooo insignificant that nothing u do matters and every thing u think that matters are thing that u think matter in Ur head and life is point less and filled with suffering and joy and nothing last for ever

It's a depressing way to look at things.

Somethings last longer than others. If you stick to the longer-term rewards which life offers, you generally do better. So, that's a good place to start. Instead of instant gratification.

What those 'longer term rewards' are, is up to individuals to figure out for themselves, though after enough iterations on the subject across generations and cultures... people do tend to arrive at similar conclusions eventually. And they seem to generally work better than not.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by NonIndigenous
It's a depressing way to look at things.

Somethings last longer than others. If you stick to the longer-term rewards which life offers, you generally do better. So, that's a good place to start. Instead of instant gratification.

What those 'longer term rewards' are, is up to individuals to figure out for themselves, though after enough iterations on the subject across generations and cultures... people do tend to arrive at similar conclusions eventually. And they seem to generally work better than not.

longer-term rewards- will u could be working relay hard for a 2:1 or a first or living frugally so u can invest and get more money in the further but then u can just get hit by a random car get cancer and die and will never enjoy the fruits of Ur labour.
Original post by Failure In Life
longer-term rewards- will u could be working relay hard for a 2:1 or a first or living frugally so u can invest and get more money in the further but then u can just get hit by a random car get cancer and die and will never enjoy the fruits of Ur labour.

1. Look both way when crossing roads
2. Don't smoke or eat rubbish
If you look at it like that then there’s no point in living. Which is sad and wrong. We’re here for a reason.
I think people who think "we are here for a reason" are more at risk than others at becoming disillusioned with life's reality - the decades trundle by as they desperately seek meaning. It's a futile quest bound to end in one of three ways: 1.) The futility is acknowledged 2.) You don't acknowledge the futility, but your life goes by and you die unfulfilled, or 3.) you settle for a self-allocated meaning of life such as "making my family happy" and try to convince yourself that you haven't fudged the issue (when you have),

We could only be "here for a reason" if someone put us here with a purpose - and there is no evidence of that. And even if we were put here by something or somebody for a reason - why would we be obliged to fulfill their plan for us? And what if their plan for us was a total anti-climax?

I think the only way I can accept the possibility of a "meaning" to life is if we actually work out what game we are playing down here, and what the rules are. This would require us to unlock pretty much all the mysteries of the universe. When we know the rule book, then we have the best chance of working out if there is a meaning to life. But this leads me to think we should ruthlessly prioritise scientific advancement and interstellar exploration over society's current goal which appears to be achieving a comfortable yet inevitably unfulfilling middle class life for the entire population Earth. This opens me up to accusations of elitism and makes me unpopular at house parties.

Original post by imaniii
If you look at it like that then there’s no point in living. Which is sad and wrong. We’re here for a reason.
Reply 8
But arent diamonds forever?!
Original post by wheelbarrow-man
I think people who think "we are here for a reason" are more at risk than others at becoming disillusioned with life's reality - the decades trundle by as they desperately seek meaning. It's a futile quest bound to end in one of three ways: 1.) The futility is acknowledged 2.) You don't acknowledge the futility, but your life goes by and you die unfulfilled, or 3.) you settle for a self-allocated meaning of life such as "making my family happy" and try to convince yourself that you haven't fudged the issue (when you have),

We could only be "here for a reason" if someone put us here with a purpose - and there is no evidence of that. And even if we were put here by something or somebody for a reason - why would we be obliged to fulfill their plan for us? And what if their plan for us was a total anti-climax?

I think the only way I can accept the possibility of a "meaning" to life is if we actually work out what game we are playing down here, and what the rules are. This would require us to unlock pretty much all the mysteries of the universe. When we know the rule book, then we have the best chance of working out if there is a meaning to life. But this leads me to think we should ruthlessly prioritise scientific advancement and interstellar exploration over society's current goal which appears to be achieving a comfortable yet inevitably unfulfilling middle class life for the entire population Earth. This opens me up to accusations of elitism and makes me unpopular at house parties.

well said 👏👏👏👏👏
Reply 10
They are pretty though :biggrin:
Reply 11
I had to google that :lol: I take your Doctor Mike and raise you a Dr Cameron :colone:
Reply 12
No no no, Dr Cameron is gorgeous.. fake or not :tongue:
Ahh i don't think i've ever come across many female doctors (bar my GP) but i still have fond memories of the nurses after i had an operation <3 .. somewhat tempered by the knowledge they saw me at err somewhat less than my best :colondollar:
That’s kinda beautiful man.
Reply 14
Oh aye, this was several years ago, thanks for asking though :smile::smile:
I feel mortifying would be a better way of describing it, without going into too much detail i dont think i have ever been wuite as embarrassed as then :rofl:
always fun aye ;P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending