The Student Room Group

Pressure in Rates of Reaction Question?

Hi,

I'm attempting a Rates question and have been given the concentration and pressure.

Since pressure increases the rate do I multiply the concentration by the pressure?

Also the pressure is in kPa, would I have to convert this to Pa?

Thank you :}
Reply 1
Original post by M.Johnson2111
Hi,

I'm attempting a Rates question and have been given the concentration and pressure.

Since pressure increases the rate do I multiply the concentration by the pressure?

Also the pressure is in kPa, would I have to convert this to Pa?

Thank you :}

Can you post the Q?
The questions attached :smile:
Reply 3
The questions attached :smile:

There is no mention of pressure.

Have you studied weak acids? Do you know how to work out pH of a weak acid and hence work out [H+] from pH?
Original post by Pigster
There is no mention of pressure.

Have you studied weak acids? Do you know how to work out pH of a weak acid and hence work out [H+] from pH?

I assumed pKa was pressure?
Not yet this is preparation work for my second year of A-Level
Reply 5
I assumed pKa was pressure?
Not yet this is preparation work for my second year of A-Level

kPa would be kilopascals.

pKa is a way of expressing the strength of a weak acid.
Original post by Pigster
kPa would be kilopascals.

pKa is a way of expressing the strength of a weak acid.

Ah thank you, I'll look up on this
So since its a weak acid there'll be a high PH which means a high concentration of H+ ions. So an increased rate of reaction. How do I use this to answer the question?
Reply 8
So since its a weak acid there'll be a high PH which means a high concentration of H+ ions. So an increased rate of reaction. How do I use this to answer the question?

Weak acids have lower [H+] than strong acids (of the same concentration).

You know the order WRT [H+]. You'll calculate how [H+] changes when swapping the acid. I'll bet it is a simple comparison, e.g. [H+] will be 0.1x what it used to be and hence rate will be 0.1orderx the old value.
Original post by Pigster
Weak acids have lower [H+] than strong acids (of the same concentration).

You know the order WRT [H+]. You'll calculate how [H+] changes when swapping the acid. I'll bet it is a simple comparison, e.g. [H+] will be 0.1x what it used to be and hence rate will be 0.1orderx the old value.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest