The Student Room Group

can't find any jobs with a degree in Computer Science , not even receptionist?

I graduated in June with a 1st in Computer Science BSc from a Russel group university and now I am jobless. I spend 4 months to applied 80-90 jobs. Most of it are software development roles entry level for graduate/junior. All rejected me. I can't apply for master this sept because all my tutors are unable to provide reference as they are away. I told admission and they say need a least 1 reference to process application for master rip. I have reach out to 8 tutors and all not available from June to end of August. I am going to go homeless, my parent are disappointed in me and they want to kick me out.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I graduated in June with a 1st in Computer Science BSc from a Russel group university and now I am jobless. I spend 4 months to applied 80-90 jobs. Most of it are software development roles entry level for graduate/junior. All rejected me. I can't apply for master this sept because all my tutors are unable to provide reference as they are away. I told admission and they say need a least 1 reference to process application for master rip. I have reach out to 8 tutors and all not available from June to end of August. I am going to go homeless, my parent are disappointed in me and they want to kick me out.

Sounds like your applications need work if you arent getting interviews? Also sounds like you are sending too many out in quantity rather than focusing on quality.

Work on improving your CV.
Your applications.
Getting a temp job.
Do some volunteering.
Not very helpful by your parents.
Get some work experience.
Improve your interview technique so you are ready when the opportunity comes.

Do you really want to do masters?
Its about this time tutors will be returning to uni, have you asked your ex department whats going on?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Sounds like your applications need work if you arent getting interviews? Also sounds like you are sending too many out in quantity rather than focusing on quality.

Work on improving your CV.
Your applications.
Getting a temp job.
Do some volunteering.
Not very helpful by your parents.
Get some work experience.
Improve your interview technique so you are ready when the opportunity comes.

Do you really want to do masters?
Its about this time tutors will be returning to uni, have you asked your ex department whats going on?

I had done 5 video interview then 2 days after they say there are better candidate over me so can't take me. I answered and research the company very well but I crossed my arm during a video interview do you think that matter? and sometime I use my hand to touch my chin - does this give a bad impression for the employer?
Reply 3
Do you have any projects on your CV to demonstrate your software developing skills? A computer science degree is very nice to have but far from the most important factor for employability.
Reply 4
Never use closed body posture in interviews. As for touching your chin it doesn’t really matter unless your fidgeting with your face a lot.
I had done 5 video interview then 2 days after they say there are better candidate over me so can't take me. I answered and research the company very well but I crossed my arm during a video interview do you think that matter? and sometime I use my hand to touch my chin - does this give a bad impression for the employer?
Reply 5
Original post by Imfukd
Never use closed body posture in interviews. As for touching your chin it doesn’t really matter unless your fidgeting with your face a lot.

omg i was crossing my arm and leaning back against my chair. It felt comfortable for me but I wasn't being rude or impolite.
Reply 6
Original post by Imfukd
Do you have any projects on your CV to demonstrate your software developing skills? A computer science degree is very nice to have but far from the most important factor for employability.

i added github link and my website blog of the projects in CV, but i highly doubt they will look through it in detail. i am looking into healthcare industry as i think they are in high demand due to covid. i want to try get a administrator role in nhs

Always ask for feedback.
Also use your local uni careers service and do some mock interviews for feedback.

You can have someone else write your reference...at the uni surely....don't have such a negative mindset. The fall hiring season is coming. You still have a, great degree and profile. But you need to think positively. You seem very defeated right now, this is likely spilling into your thought processes.

Alas, CS grads are often brilliant but lacking in social skills. You have to really push your social skills in interviews, be confident.. And come across as interesting, friendly, attentive and engaged. Be willing to talk to people.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Realitysreflexx
You can have someone else write your reference...at the uni surely....don't have such a negative mindset. The fall hiring season is coming. You still have a, great degree and profile. But you need to think positively. You seem very defeated right now, this is likely spilling into your thought processes.

Alas, CS grads are often brilliant but lacking in social skills. You have to really push your social skills in interviews, be confident.. And come across as interesting, friendly, attentive and engaged. Be willing to talk to people.

I gotten in touch with a course assistant 2 weeks ago who never taught me but was helping the module leader during lab work. he said he will be happily to write for me , i gave him my CV and transcript after but it been useless. i chase him up 3 days ago and now he not responding anymore :frown:
yep i am lacking a bit of social skill for sure since I spend most of time on PC, but hopefully i can get more experience in interview and talking with more employer to overcome this obstacle.
Most likely you need to improve on your CV and get some work experience/volunteering. Also interviews play a huge role so make sure to leave a good impression and be enthusiastic as possible.
how often does interview involve a face to face test? For instance if I pass stage 1 interview then the next one would be a interview with coding. I have seen Microsoft interview on youtube and it looks very hard for software development roles? Do all jobs do that or do most graduate interview does not involve the employer asking a difficult code to solve during interview?
Reply 12
Progranming ability is more important. How many programming languages can you use fluently?
By the way, are you male or female?How old are you? Do you meet gender(or age) discrimination?
Contact your course director or department director and try and force a way to get a reference. Also can you do masters at your current university where maybe you wouldn’t need a reference?
I can’t even get a job at McDonald’s. Welcome to the world of job hunting friend. Your luck just got 1000% worse since the unemployment rate is increasing, zero hour contracts seems to be the way to go for the future and we’re officially in recession now. Hope it works out for you and you get a job though. Your cv is clearly good enough to get your some interviews, you’ve had 5 video interviews since June and I’ve had 2 interviews since May for supermarket jobs. You’re doing better than most! But based on what you’ve said about your interview technique, it needs work. Leaning back in the chair, crossing your arms, that is bad body language. Work on your interview technique and make sure to tailor your cv for each job you apply for. You can find some pretty decent ATS scanners in the internet that will let you upload your cv and then upload the job description and it will tell you how well you cv matches what the employer is looking for. 99% of the time when you apply for a job online these days, it goes through an ATS scan. Sometimes you never hear back because your application hasn’t even been read by an actually human
I have a 1st in economics as the same thing has been happening to me. I just keep revising my cv and cover letters based on what tips I see. It's definitely disheartening but it's a tight competition even smaller now covid has hit the job market. You have to keep going it sucks but we will get there.
it's truly sad. I should have apply before the start of second semester in January, that way I could have sign up for some graduate scheme but I was too late. Everything is too late in August now. chance are pretty 1% to secure any job. I think I going to look for jobs in some café shop around. wasted 3 years for a degree.

Do you guys recommend me to look for elsewhere other than in UK? I feel like it's impossible to secure a job in UK. I never been to other countries but if it allow me to get a proper jobs I am willing to go. Any idea which countries is good for CS graduate?
Reply 17
it's truly sad. I should have apply before the start of second semester in January, that way I could have sign up for some graduate scheme but I was too late. Everything is too late in August now. chance are pretty 1% to secure any job. I think I going to look for jobs in some café shop around. wasted 3 years for a degree.

Do you guys recommend me to look for elsewhere other than in UK? I feel like it's impossible to secure a job in UK. I never been to other countries but if it allow me to get a proper jobs I am willing to go. Any idea which countries is good for CS graduate?

You’re being too negative on yourself, keep looking for jobs. It’s probably only more difficult right now because of the record unemployment levels caused by the pandemic.
I did a masters in marketing, got a 1st and distinction, yet couldn't get a job.

I was either 'overqualified' or was interviewed seemingly so they could see me in person and ask why I was even applying. I was even point blank told by a job advertiser that I shouldn't apply to jobs that are open to a-level or ug degree graduates because employers in general will think you're taking an opportunity away from someone without a masters.

Ive been to job interviews and group interviews when my qualifications and experience outstretched the person running interviews or even the managers. Little d*** syndrome from them.

Anything above and I was told I needed more experience more experience more experience. in the end I took my masters off my CV when applying to jobs, got a lot more interviews but then became sick. In the end I trained as a nurse because I genuinely couldn't find anything on the marketing front
I did a masters in marketing, got a 1st and distinction, yet couldn't get a job.

I was either 'overqualified' or was interviewed seemingly so they could see me in person and ask why I was even applying. I was even point blank told by a job advertiser that I shouldn't apply to jobs that are open to a-level or ug degree graduates because employers in general will think you're taking an opportunity away from someone without a masters.

Ive been to job interviews and group interviews when my qualifications and experience outstretched the person running interviews or even the managers. Little d*** syndrome from them.

Anything above and I was told I needed more experience more experience more experience. in the end I took my masters off my CV when applying to jobs, got a lot more interviews but then became sick. In the end I trained as a nurse because I genuinely couldn't find anything on the marketing front

they keep saying there were better candiate than me. i on the other hand wasn't overqualifield but i meet the entry requirement which usually require a 2:2 or 2:1 for junior/graduate jobs. i apply everywhere on linkedin and indeed and still useless , not a single offer for 4 months

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending