Medicine
Computer Science
Electrical Engineering - CS's smaller twin
Data Science - getting saturated quick and soon will be A-tier

A-Tier: Quant jobs
Engineering
Maths & Stats
Physics

Highly numerate degrees, typically what employers meant when they say they want 'STEM candidates'. Easy roles in Finance.

B-Tier: Supply > Demand
Biochem/Biomed - Good industry but also highly oversaturated since there are so many courses, a BSc now will only qualify you for a technician role washing test tubes. A good PhD is a must to build a good career.
Chemistry - Has an identity crisis since most chemistry research these days are multidisciplinary. Even the once-lucrative MedChem is on its way out, big pharma are going all-in on bio. Analytical chemists are £22k jobs with poor work conditions. Did I mention chemists have 10 years shorter life expectancy?

C-Tier: No relevant jobs
Biology - Animal and Plants
Environmental Science
Earth Science (unless you land a job at BP)

The latest ranking that is not needed & was not asked for
Reply 2
Original post by AndyChow

C-Tier: No relevant jobs
Biology - Animal and Plants
Environmental Science

Do tell, why is being educated on the biology of plants and animals 'useless'?
found the computer science student
Andy thinks he can eat a computer :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Napp
Do tell, why is being educated on the biology of plants and animals 'useless'?

You said it, I didn't. I just told the truth that the vast majority of these students cannot find relevant jobs and end up having to compete for generalist jobs with humanities students.
Reply 6
You said it, I didn't. I just told the truth that the vast majority of these students cannot find relevant jobs and end up having to compete for generalist jobs with humanities students.

No, you did...

Uhuh, by all means cite the source that "the vast majority" of biology students can't get employment within their field :rolleyes:. One is curious as to what your degree is though, one that gives you such deep insight and wisdom on these subjects?

B-Tier: Supply > Demand
Biochem/Biomed - Good industry but also highly oversaturated since there are so many courses, a BSc now will only qualify you for a technician role washing test tubes. A good PhD is a must to build a good career.
Chemistry - Has an identity crisis since most chemistry research these days are multidisciplinary. Even the once-lucrative MedChem is on its way out, big pharma are going all-in on bio. Analytical chemists are £22k jobs with poor work conditions. Did I mention chemists have 10 years shorter life expectancy?

Great to know I might have a lower life expectancy. Where is your source for this?
Reply 8
Original post by 5hyl33n
Great to know I might have a lower life expectancy. Where is your source for this?

3 years late but...Chemistry World Magazine, one of the 2016 issues towards the end there's an opinion piece about safety. Basically if you work in an organic lab even with the best fume hoods you still breathe in enough chemicals to lower your life expectancy by 10 years.
Ironically CS also had such bad prospects that the government commissioned an inquiry into it...along with biosciences and environmental sciences at the time. So it's not really any better than those you deign not to give higher ratings.

Not that the concept of a ranking of subjects is at all useful to anyone for any reason?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending