Medicine
Computer Science
Electrical Engineering - CS's smaller twin
Data Science - getting saturated quick and soon will be A-tier

A-Tier: Quant jobs
Engineering
Maths & Stats
Physics

Highly numerate degrees, typically what employers meant when they say they want 'STEM candidates'. Easy roles in Finance.

B-Tier: Supply > Demand
Biochem/Biomed - Good industry but also highly oversaturated since there are so many courses, a BSc now will only qualify you for a technician role washing test tubes. A good PhD is a must to build a good career.
Chemistry- Has an identity crisis since most chemistry research these days are multidisciplinary. Even the once-lucrative MedChem is on its way out, big pharma are going all-in on bio. Analytical chemists are £22k jobs with poor work conditions. Did I mention chemists have 10 years shorter life expectancy?

C-Tier: No relevant jobs
Biology - Animal and Plants
EnvironmentalScience
Earth Science (unless you land a job at BP)
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AndyChow)
S-Tier: Strong and Stable
Medicine
Computer Science
Electrical Engineering - CS's smaller twin
Data Science - getting saturated quick and soon will be A-tier

A-Tier: Quant jobs
Engineering
Maths & Stats
Physics

Highly numerate degrees, typically what employers meant when they say they want 'STEM candidates'. Easy roles in Finance.

Biochem/Biomed - Good industry but also highly oversaturated since there are so many courses, a BSc now will only qualify you for a technician role washing test tubes. A good PhD is a must to build a good career.
Chemistry - Has an identity crisis since most chemistry research these days are multidisciplinary. Even the once-lucrative MedChem is on its way out, big pharma are going all-in on bio. Analytical chemists are £22k jobs with poor work conditions. Did I mention chemists have 10 years shorter life expectancy?

Environmental Science
Earth Science (unless you land a job at BP)
The latest ranking that is not needed & was not asked for
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Environmental Science
Do tell, why is being educated on the biology of plants and animals 'useless'?
DeadChairSwinger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
found the computer science student
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Andy thinks he can eat a computer
AndyChow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Do tell, why is being educated on the biology of plants and animals 'useless'?
You said it, I didn't. I just told the truth that the vast majority of these students cannot find relevant jobs and end up having to compete for generalist jobs with humanities students.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You said it, I didn't. I just told the truth that the vast majority of these students cannot find relevant jobs and end up having to compete for generalist jobs with humanities students.
No, you did...

Uhuh, by all means cite the source that "the vast majority" of biology students can't get employment within their field :rolleyes:. One is curious as to what your degree is though, one that gives you such deep insight and wisdom on these subjects?
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Chemistry- Has an identity crisis since most chemistry research these days are multidisciplinary. Even the once-lucrative MedChem is on its way out, big pharma are going all-in on bio. Analytical chemists are £22k jobs with poor work conditions. Did I mention chemists have 10 years shorter life expectancy?
Great to know I might have a lower life expectancy. Where is your source for this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.73%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.18%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.03%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.61%

Watched Threads