The Student Room Group

Newly qualified electrician: what next?

Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum so if not I’m sorry but if anyone can advise it’d be much appreciated!

I have a friend who has completed his Level 2: Electrical Installations (last year) and is coming to the end of finishing level 3 (just waiting to do the practical at some point this month... thanks COVID!)

I’m trying to help him find the next steps to get a job as a permanent, full-time electrician. He’s in the process of getting his ECS card (passed the health and safety test, just need to work out the application).

When looking for jobs, it seems to be either an apprenticeship (which as a 34 year old adult, can’t really afford to take the pay cut to apprentice pay) or an electrician with 2 years experience.

He knows he needs to do his 18th edition and testing and inspecting courses, but ideally wants to get a job where the company can pay for this, rather than funding them himself if possible.

Is it possible to get a job with your level 3? Which companies should he be looking at? Any other general advice?

Thank you ☺️
Reply 1
Original post by SortYourLife
Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum so if not I’m sorry but if anyone can advise it’d be much appreciated!

I have a friend who has completed his Level 2: Electrical Installations (last year) and is coming to the end of finishing level 3 (just waiting to do the practical at some point this month... thanks COVID!)

I’m trying to help him find the next steps to get a job as a permanent, full-time electrician. He’s in the process of getting his ECS card (passed the health and safety test, just need to work out the application).

When looking for jobs, it seems to be either an apprenticeship (which as a 34 year old adult, can’t really afford to take the pay cut to apprentice pay) or an electrician with 2 years experience.

He knows he needs to do his 18th edition and testing and inspecting courses, but ideally wants to get a job where the company can pay for this, rather than funding them himself if possible.

Is it possible to get a job with your level 3? Which companies should he be looking at? Any other general advice?

Thank you ☺️

I'm from Scotland so I'm not really sure how the qualifications work in England but it confuses me that it says newly qualified electrician but he hasn't started an apprenticeship? It's my understanding that the only way to be fully qualified is to finish a 4 year apprenticeship which is a mix of working and completing the college qualifications (which will be similar to what he has already done).

I done a HNC and a 5 years masters degree in engineering and there was no easy route for me to become an electrician other than to do the whole 4 year apprenticeship from the beginning.

Also I don't think the apprentice wage applies to those over 25, they have to be paid the national minimum wage which is now something like £18k for 40 hour weeks
Original post by alex282
I'm from Scotland so I'm not really sure how the qualifications work in England but it confuses me that it says newly qualified electrician but he hasn't started an apprenticeship? It's my understanding that the only way to be fully qualified is to finish a 4 year apprenticeship which is a mix of working and completing the college qualifications (which will be similar to what he has already done).

I done a HNC and a 5 years masters degree in engineering and there was no easy route for me to become an electrician other than to do the whole 4 year apprenticeship from the beginning.

Also I don't think the apprentice wage applies to those over 25, they have to be paid the national minimum wage which is now something like £18k for 40 hour weeks

Thanks! That’s really useful ☺️

Yeah it’s pretty confusing tbh. He’s done his level 2 and level 3 and applied for a labourer ECS card, so not really sure what that makes him!

Good to know about the apprenticeship wage not applying to over 25s, although that might make it harder to get an apprenticeship?
Reply 3
Original post by SortYourLife
Thanks! That’s really useful ☺️

Yeah it’s pretty confusing tbh. He’s done his level 2 and level 3 and applied for a labourer ECS card, so not really sure what that makes him!

Good to know about the apprenticeship wage not applying to over 25s, although that might make it harder to get an apprenticeship?

I was once told at an interview last year that you have to be under 27 to apply to be an apprentice there. Unfortunately it probably will make it harder for him to get an apprenticeship as we are now in a gig economy where most companies just hire someone with experience or younger people as apprentices so they can pay below minimum wage and no one wants to invest money training people in case they leave
Original post by alex282
I was once told at an interview last year that you have to be under 27 to apply to be an apprentice there. Unfortunately it probably will make it harder for him to get an apprenticeship as we are now in a gig economy where most companies just hire someone with experience or younger people as apprentices so they can pay below minimum wage and no one wants to invest money training people in case they leave

Thanks for the info - yeah thats whats worrying, I know they can get about 12k off the government to cover an apprentice, if he has to be on at least minimum wage the employer would have to contribute a lot more.

He's talking about doing his testing and inspecting (2391?) and 18th edition, but to me it seems like every job is an apprenticeship or wants two years experience, so before paying out more money to do these (as he's already paid to do the level 2 and level 3 college courses), he just wants to know if theres somewhere he will actually be able to go with this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending