The Student Room Group

Scared of failing first year.

Hi all I’m coming towards the end of first year and I don’t know why but I’m just in such a flap. I’ve not done anything wrong and have had really good feedback so far on all my placements but I’m just so worried I’m not going to pass first year.
I’ve had 3 sets of absences two were due to my son being unwell and one was I had covid (recorded on epad and have already made up the hours). I was supposed to have part of my end point today with my assessor and academic assessor but my assessor has had to cancel. I’ve only got 3 weeks left and I’m in a right tiz about it all. Any words of wisdom? Am I worrying for no reason?
Reply 1
Original post by Flare2695
Hi all I’m coming towards the end of first year and I don’t know why but I’m just in such a flap. I’ve not done anything wrong and have had really good feedback so far on all my placements but I’m just so worried I’m not going to pass first year.
I’ve had 3 sets of absences two were due to my son being unwell and one was I had covid (recorded on epad and have already made up the hours). I was supposed to have part of my end point today with my assessor and academic assessor but my assessor has had to cancel. I’ve only got 3 weeks left and I’m in a right tiz about it all. Any words of wisdom? Am I worrying for no reason?

is this a mandatory placement? I’ve had many absences but everything turned out fine in the end
Reply 2
Original post by Catlova67
is this a mandatory placement? I’ve had many absences but everything turned out fine in the end

I assumed they were all mandatory? 🙈 glad everything went ok in the end for you. I think in total it’s about 45hrs of absence so not a lot in the scheme of things just worried anyway I guess.

Hi

If you are short of placement hours then you'll be able to do those either during any holidays or time when you are not either at university or on current placement. If not you'll have to do them next academic term with you discussing this matter with your university course leader and placement officer as they will have to arrange things for you to do those hours you are short.

Your university studies if you have missed any of these then you should have been offered by your university course leader option of doing those online while you were absent but you can still ask for them to do those still and you just have to make sure you do those ok as otherwise they might fail you.

Placements are unfortunately mandatory.

Hope you get this sorted out soon as possible okay.

Then start to look forward to starting second year.

Newly qualified adult nurse 😉
Reply 4
Original post by Littleemma98
Hi

If you are short of placement hours then you'll be able to do those either during any holidays or time when you are not either at university or on current placement. If not you'll have to do them next academic term with you discussing this matter with your university course leader and placement officer as they will have to arrange things for you to do those hours you are short.

Your university studies if you have missed any of these then you should have been offered by your university course leader option of doing those online while you were absent but you can still ask for them to do those still and you just have to make sure you do those ok as otherwise they might fail you.

Hey thanks for the reply! I’ll definitely meet all my hours for the placement. After this week I only need to meet just under 24hrs but I’m doing it part time. I guess I was just worried some nasty surprise might crop up and that I’d fail on that. I spoke to my practice assessor with uni earlier and she’s given lots of reassurance. I guess I’m just more worried about this one as it’s the final one for the year!
All good with the written work too thankfully just have the end of module assessment to do (I’m an OU student) thank you so much for your reply!

How is NQN life? Hope you’re enjoying 💖
Hey thanks for the reply! I’ll definitely meet all my hours for the placement. After this week I only need to meet just under 24hrs but I’m doing it part time. I guess I was just worried some nasty surprise might crop up and that I’d fail on that. I spoke to my practice assessor with uni earlier and she’s given lots of reassurance. I guess I’m just more worried about this one as it’s the final one for the year!
All good with the written work too thankfully just have the end of module assessment to do (I’m an OU student) thank you so much for your reply!

How is NQN life? Hope you’re enjoying 💖

Thanks for getting back to me 🙂🙂

Glad you spoken to your practice assessor and university about things.
If they have reassured you that everything is fine then there's nothing to worry about okay. Sounds like you may have just overreacting over your short hours etc. You don't want to be in that position at end of the term trying to make up things but sometimes it can't be helped especially if genuine illnesses.

Hopefully you'll complete everything without problems okay.

Open university student , how do you find things with doing it with them.

I'm enjoying it being a newly qualified nurse as I got the position I applied for as I'm working on maxillofacial surgery ward ( this also includes patients with orthopaedic surgery as well as everything to do with the face and head). I qualified in beginning of June and got temporary band 4 position until NMC sent back my registration details and I just officially started working as band 5 nurse at beginning of August. Staff is brilliant as well as the patients.

Hope you are enjoying your nursing yourself and year two get slightly harder for you and also third year is harder still as you are doing things yourself without asking all the time.
Reply 6

Registered nurse and experienced practice assessor here.

From what you've said, you're 100% overthinking things.

- Missing 45 hours (for good reason) in a year isn't a reason to fail a student. Even if you've missed 45 hours in a year, that's only (less than) 6% of the hours you need for the whole of 1st year and you've already made that up. It's 2300 practice hours in total which is 767 per year.
- One of your assessors (practice or academic) having to cancel a meeting isn't your fault and isn't a reason for you to fail.
- If you've had nothing but good feedback, and nothing has been raised as an issue at midway, then the placement area can't fail you.

You'll be absolutely fine.
Reply 7

Original post by Emily_B
Registered nurse and experienced practice assessor here.

From what you've said, you're 100% overthinking things.

- Missing 45 hours (for good reason) in a year isn't a reason to fail a student. Even if you've missed 45 hours in a year, that's only (less than) 6% of the hours you need for the whole of 1st year and you've already made that up. It's 2300 practice hours in total which is 767 per year.
- One of your assessors (practice or academic) having to cancel a meeting isn't your fault and isn't a reason for you to fail.
- If you've had nothing but good feedback, and nothing has been raised as an issue at midway, then the placement area can't fail you.

You'll be absolutely fine.

I totally agree with what Emily said about this as you'll be absolutely fine as sounds like you were 100% overthinking about everything.
Registered midwife and mentor to students.

Original post by Littleemma98
Hi

Think you made some good points to the OP.
Best of luck with your new job and enjoy being a newly qualified nurse with NHS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending