The Student Room Group

Orthoptics

I'm planning on having Orthoptics as a back up degree if results day doesn't go as planned. Would anyone be able to tell me ,realistically, what the job is like in terms on pay and job availability please?
Original post by anon25x
I'm planning on having Orthoptics as a back up degree if results day doesn't go as planned. Would anyone be able to tell me ,realistically, what the job is like in terms on pay and job availability please?

There is good job profile here:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/orthoptist

You would typically enter the NHS on salary band 5 (currently £28,407 - a bit more in London) with potential to move to higher pay grades with experience.
Reply 2
Original post by anon25x

Pay starts on a band 5 ( £28,407) and increases as your training increases. There are many different avenues you can take once you are in the profession, in order to expand your job role and increase your pay. Job availability is predominantly in the south of England. It is very likely that if you live in the North, you will be required to move in order to get employment.
Original post by anon63484
Job availability is predominantly in the south of England. It is very likely that if you live in the North, you will be required to move in order to get employment.

That's just not true. Orthoptists are employed by NHS trusts all over the UK. There's not a north/south divide for jobs in healthcare.

https://www.nhsjobs.com/job_list/Allied_Health_Professions/s4/Orthoptist_eyes/d692
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
That's just not true. Orthoptists are employed by NHS trusts all over the UK. There's not a north/south divide for jobs in healthcare.

https://www.nhsjobs.com/job_list/Allied_Health_Professions/s4/Orthoptist_eyes/d692

I’ve heard that there’s only 1 orthoptist for each hospital is this true please ?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by anon25x
I’ve heard that there’s only 1 orthoptist for each hospital is this true please ?

I've no idea - I don't work in the NHS.
Reply 6
Do you have privet orthoptics practices in the UK?
Reply 7
Original post by anon25x

That is correct, there are Orthoptic jobs within the NHS all over the UK, however it is very competitive in the North of England. Especially when starting as a newly qualified band 5, of course you may find employment in the North, however, there are likely to be more job advertisements in the South. (This is just my personal experience). Most hospitals have an orthoptic department of at least five orthoptists, there would never be a hospital that has only one orthoptist. It may be that hospitals are only looking for one newly qualified graduate at a time.
Reply 8
Original post by Kathy89
Do you have privet orthoptics practices in the UK?

Yes there are private orthoptic practices in the UK, some orthoptists even work within the NHS and also take patients privately. To worth within private health care, it is likely you would need considerable experience.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by anon63484
Yes there are private orthoptic practices in the UK, some orthoptists even work within the NHS and also take patients privately. To worth within private health care, it is likely you would need considerable experience.
I thought about orthoptics or behavioral optometry, but in Israel it is not that popular or even developed.

Quick Reply

Latest