The Student Room Group

Completing a nursing degree and travelling

Hi,
I have just completed a nursing degree, but I have always dreamed of going to Australia travelling, and obviously waited because of my degree.
Once I get my pin, is it okay for me to take a break? I am unsure on how long I will be away, but is it true that I will be registered with Nursing and Midwifery Council up to 3 years before I start my nursing career?

Don't judge please career is very important to me but I am craving a break, and seeing my family and friends. I would hate to feel like I'm restricted or have a short time limit as I have put hard work into completing the course

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by _klaudiar
Hi,
I have just completed a nursing degree, but I have always dreamed of going to Australia travelling, and obviously waited because of my degree.
Once I get my pin, is it okay for me to take a break? I am unsure on how long I will be away, but is it true that I will be registered with Nursing and Midwifery Council up to 3 years before I start my nursing career?

Don't judge please career is very important to me but I am craving a break, and seeing my family and friends. I would hate to feel like I'm restricted or have a short time limit as I have put hard work into completing the course

Thanks!

Go ahead and enjoy your travels and then worry about finding a nursing job when you return back to UK.

When you come back from your travels you'll have to notify NMC and then they will tell you how to do whatever required for you. Your nursing registration needs renewed every three years ( you pay a yearly registration fee regardless of your nursing registration every three years) your nursing registration starts from the day that NMC registered you. You'll be able to start a nursing job immediately after qualifying ( usually you get offered a temporary band 4 role until you receive your NMC pin and then arrange to start your band 5 staff nurse job).

Good luck with everything

A NHS registered midwife
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks!

Registered nurse here.

Great to know that you're planning on doing some travelling! Of course it's OK to take a break after qualifying.

Just to add to what Tracey's said...

You've nearly (but not quite) got it with registration and revalidation. NMC registration looks like this:
- you have to pay £120 per year, every year, to stay on the register.
For example, if you register for the first time today (2nd November 2023), you're registered until 30th November 2024.
You then have to pay your next £120 before 30th November 2024, or set up direct debit, to be registered until 20th November 2025.
- for revalidation: over the course of 3 years, you have to do 450 hours clinical practice (or 12 weeks' work at 37.5 hours... over the course of 3 years), 35 hours of CPD of which 20 must be face-to-face learning, do 5 reflections and get 5 pieces of practice related feedback. This is probably where you've got 3 years from.

Info on registering with the NMC here https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/joining-the-register/register-nurse-midwife/trained-in-the-uk/
Info on revalidation here https://www.nmc.org.uk/revalidation/requirements/
As for time out of practice... the limit is 5 years out of practice before you need to do a return to practice programme. Info here https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/returning-to-the-register/returning-to-practice/
Reply 3
Original post by Emily_B
Registered nurse here.

Great to know that you're planning on doing some travelling! Of course it's OK to take a break after qualifying.

You've nearly (but not quite) got it with registration and revalidation. NMC registration looks like this:
For example, if you register for the first time today (2nd November 2023), you're registered until 30th November 2024.
You then have to pay your next £120 before 30th November 2024, or set up direct debit, to be registered until 20th November 2025.
- for revalidation: over the course of 3 years, you have to do 450 hours clinical practice (or 12 weeks' work at 37.5 hours... over the course of 3 years), 35 hours of CPD of which 20 must be face-to-face learning, do 5 reflections and get 5 pieces of practice related feedback. This is probably where you've got 3 years from.

Info on registering with the NMC here https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/joining-the-register/register-nurse-midwife/trained-in-the-uk/
As for time out of practice... the limit is 5 years out of practice before you need to do a return to practice programme. Info here https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/returning-to-the-register/returning-to-practice/

🥰🥰🌹 Thanks Emily 🙂
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
Registered nurse here.

Thank you so much for all this information I appreciate your time writing this!

So let’s say if i have already received a pin, but didn’t end up getting a job and went travelling - will I have to renew it after a year? Will that be possible since I never end up in practise and will I still stay on the register for 3/5 years?

Just want to make sure I get this right hope you don’t mind!
❤️
Reply 5
Original post by K_r243
Thank you so much for all this information I appreciate your time writing this!

So let’s say if i have already received a pin, but didn’t end up getting a job and went travelling - will I have to renew it after a year? Will that be possible since I never end up in practise and will I still stay on the register for 3/5 years?

Just want to make sure I get this right hope you don’t mind!
❤️

If you want to stay on the NMC register, you have to pay your fees yearly and revalidate every 3 years - there is no leeway in this. You can't - and won't - stay on the register if you don't pay your fees and revalidate.
If you had a break in practice (to go travelling etc), this would mean re-registering... and I don't know how this works. I'd recommend getting in touch with the NMC.
Have you thought about looking at registering as a nurse in Australia as a British trained nurse?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
Hi,

Thanks!

UK and Ireland - Newly Qualified Nurses in Australia
The qualification, diploma or degree and institution where your qualification was awarded will determine the requirements for submission for registration in Australia. You will also be required to have at least three months post registration work experience.

Can I work in Australia with UK nursing degree.....
Once you are registered with AHPRA as a nurse you then need a VISA to be allowed to live and work in Australia. There are a number of VISA's available. If you are able to secure sponsorship by an employer, one of the following VISA types will be appropriate: Temporary Skill Shortage Visa.

How do I transfer my UK nursing license to Australia....
Nurses migrating to Australia are required to complete a nursing skills assessment. This is completed with the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) before lodging a visa application.
https://visa-go.com professionals
Nurse - Visa Go Australia.

Can you work abroad as a newly qualified nurse..
The RCN recommends that nurses gain at least six months' experience before heading off abroad.

Original post by Emily_B
If you want to stay on the NMC register, you have to pay your fees yearly and revalidate every 3 years - there is no leeway in this. You can't - and won't - stay on the register if you don't pay your fees and revalidate.
If you had a break in practice (to go travelling etc), this would mean re-registering... and I don't know how this works. I'd recommend getting in touch with the NMC.
Have you thought about looking at registering as a nurse in Australia as a British trained nurse?

That's some of the information that I was told about for working in Australia.
If you are going straight to Australia after graduating as a newly qualified nurse without any experience you have to do some sort of training program which could take anything up to ayear before you are allowed to work as a registered nurse there and also they have similar requirements for registration as UK NMC which you pay annually.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending