The Student Room Group

uni after apprenticeship?

Hi, I was wondering if I have to go to uni after doing a level 3 advanced apprenticeship (for electrical installation) or if I can get any job straight after the apprenticeship.
Reply 1
Yes - so long as you meet the entry requirements.
Original post by ajj2000
Yes - so long as you meet the entry requirements.

Can I get a job without going to uni but still having the level 3 apprenticeship?
Reply 3
Original post by QuestionAsker27
Can I get a job without going to uni but still having the level 3 apprenticeship?

Yes, of course you can - that's the entire point of an apprenticeship, it trains you for a job.
Original post by McGinger
Yes, of course you can - that's the entire point of an apprenticeship, it trains you for a job.

Wow, it makes uni seem pointless, I always thought I'd need a level 4 apprenticeship or a uni degree to get a job 😅
Reply 5

I'd imagine that electrical installation is more employable than almost all degrees.
Reply 6
Wow, it makes uni seem pointless, I always thought I'd need a level 4 apprenticeship or a uni degree to get a job 😅

Hi QuestionAsker27, you are absolutely right. if you want to be an electrician you must get vocational certificates rather than a university degree.

You can be a project manager of electrical jobs with an Electrical Engineer Diploma from university or even have a PHD in the field, but it does not actually give you the legal right to do the actual installation of the cables. You must be a qualified electrician for that.

So you need vocational qualifications like that in which case is a Level 3 NVQ. After which you can do a Level 4 Design certificate which is around a week long to be able to have project leading rights, which makes university completely redundant for this path.

Did you manage to find a route for yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending