The Student Room Group

A level Physics lepton decays

Hi,
So basically I know that leptons can decay into other smaller leptons within their generation (their neutrinos) . But it says in my class notes that neutrinos can also decay/change into their corresponding lepton particle.
I don’t really get how this is correct because isn’t the whole point of a decay to become lighter and so more stable?

Could someone please tell me if this is just a mistake in my notes or if I just don’t get it lol.

Thanks (:
I believe neutrinos are fundamental particles so I don’t see why they would be decaying into anything
Maybe it’s best to check online to make sure
Original post by Mavs04
Hi,
So basically I know that leptons can decay into other smaller leptons within their generation (their neutrinos) . But it says in my class notes that neutrinos can also decay/change into their corresponding lepton particle.
I don’t really get how this is correct because isn’t the whole point of a decay to become lighter and so more stable?

Could someone please tell me if this is just a mistake in my notes or if I just don’t get it lol.

Thanks (:

I think currently it is believed that neutrinos oscillate between the 3 flavours as they travel therefore not a decay.
Reply 3
So leptons can decay and the neutrinos just oscillate?
Original post by Mavs04
So leptons can decay and the neutrinos just oscillate?

Yes because the different flavours of electron have more mass so can lose that in decay as energy
Reply 5
Original post by Haywood1743
Yes because the different flavours of electron have more mass so can lose that in decay as energy

Ok thank you (:

Quick Reply

Latest