The Student Room Group

When was the derivative of sin(X) first determined ?

I want to know in the timeline of mathematics , considering what was considered as far as had been discovered at that time , where I place ?

For example, if you can calculate a derivative from first principles you are at the same point Newton was when he discovered calculus.

Am I still at that point in time ? I assume so. So I have the same knowledge that the best mathematicians of the 17th century had !
Reply 1
Original post by seals2001
I want to know in the timeline of mathematics , considering what was considered as far as had been discovered at that time , where I place ?

For example, if you can calculate a derivative from first principles youu are at the same point Newton was when he discovered calculus.

Am I still at that point in time ? I assume so. So I have the same knowledge that the best mathematicians of the 17th century had !

Errr can you differentiate sin() from first principles?
Have a read of a good maths history book, Newton did a fair bit more than that and others had been kicking around ideas about calculus for 50-100 years before, but he unified the approach and applied it to understand gravity/elliptical motion, amongst other things.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766

Sure you can, using identity for sin(A+B)=sinAcosB+cosAsinB\sin(A+B) = \sin A \cos B + \cos A \sin B:

δ(sinx)δx=sin(x+δx)sinxδx=sinxcos(δx)+cosxsin(δx)sinxδx.\frac {\delta(\sin x)}{\delta x} = \frac {\sin(x+\delta x)-\sin x}{\delta x} = \frac {\sin x \cos(\delta x)+\cos x \sin(\delta x)-\sin x }{\delta x}.

Then, let δx0\delta x\to 0 so sin(δx)δx\sin (\delta x)\to \delta x and cos(δx)1\cos (\delta x)\to 1 and so:

limδx0δ(sinx)δx=d(sinx)dx=cosx.\lim_{\delta x \to 0} \frac {\delta(\sin x)}{\delta x} = \frac {d(\sin x)}{dx} = \cos x.
Original post by mqb2766

Original post by lordaxil
Sure you can, using identity for sin(A+B)=sinAcosB+cosAsinB\sin(A+B) = \sin A \cos B + \cos A \sin B:

δ(sinx)δx=sin(x+δx)sinxδx=sinxcos(δx)+cosxsin(δx)sinxδx.\frac {\delta(\sin x)}{\delta x} = \frac {\sin(x+\delta x)-\sin x}{\delta x} = \frac {\sin x \cos(\delta x)+\cos x \sin(\delta x)-\sin x }{\delta x}.

Then, let δx0\delta x\to 0 so sin(δx)δx\sin (\delta x)\to \delta x and cos(δx)1\cos (\delta x)\to 1 and so:

limδx0δ(sinx)δx=d(sinx)dx=cosx.\lim_{\delta x \to 0} \frac {\delta(\sin x)}{\delta x} = \frac {d(\sin x)}{dx} = \cos x.

It appears the answer is no.
Original post by DFranklin
It appears the answer is no.

Care to elaborate?
Care to elaborate?

sinδxδx\sin \delta x \to \delta x isn't a meaningfull statement when talking about limits. You can't pick and choose which bits of the limit you move outside. If I give you the benefit of the doubt about sinδxδx\sin \delta x \to \delta x, it's still a result claimed without proof. Same for cosδx1\cos \delta x \to 1. In addition, cosδx1\cos \delta x \to 1 isn't enough to deduce the result you want.

Edit: FWIW, it's a little less obvious but if you use the trig sum<->product formulas you can show sin(x+δ)sin(x)=2sin(δ/2)cos(x+δ/2)\sin(x+\delta) - \sin(x) = 2 \sin(\delta/2) \cos(x+\delta/2), which reduces the "limit type" results you need to just limδ0sinδδ=1\displaystyle \lim_{\delta \to 0} \frac{\sin \delta}{\delta} = 1.
(edited 3 years ago)
Care to elaborate?

I also just realised you're not the OP. mqb2766's question was to point out that if the OP wants to compare themselves to Newton, there's a definite destinction between knowing the derivative of sin(x) and knowing how to *prove* that's the derivative. So the word "you" in that question was important.
sinδxδx\sin \delta x \to \delta x isn't a meaningfull statement when talking about limits. You can't pick and choose which bits of the limit you move outside. If I give you the benefit of the doubt about sinδxδx\sin \delta x \to \delta x, it's still a result claimed without proof. Same for cosδx1\cos \delta x \to 1. In addition, cosδx1\cos \delta x \to 1 isn't enough to deduce the result you want.

Clearly, those limiting behaviours only apply as δx0\delta x \to 0. A proof for either result can be obtained without resort to calculus.

Edit: FWIW, it's a little less obvious but if you use the trig sum<->product formulas you can show sin(x+δ)sin(x)=2sin(δ/2)cos(x+δ/2)\sin(x+\delta) - \sin(x) = 2 \sin(\delta/2) \cos(x+\delta/2), which reduces the "limit type" results you need to just limδ0sinδδ=1\displaystyle \lim_{\delta \to 0} \frac{\sin \delta}{\delta} = 1.

More elegant, no doubt, but the gain in rigour comes at loss of clarity.
Reply 8

Can you elaborate why that isn't a proof ?

Thanks.
Clearly, those limiting behaviours only apply as δx0\delta x \to 0. A proof for either result can be obtained without resort to calculus.
I'm not nitpicking about whether you explicitly say "as δx0\delta x \to 0"; it's clear enough from context. But my question is: what is sinδxδx\sin \delta x \to \delta x even supposed to mean? If you mean limδx0sinδxδx=1\displaystyle \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \frac{\sin \delta x}{\delta x} = 1, you should say so (and if you don't then I really don't know what you mean).

More fundamentally, you can't (always) look at a limiting expression and say "I'll take the limits for those bits out of the limit, but I'll leave some other bits in".

In your limit you've claimed that limδx0sinxcosδxsinxδx=0\displaystyle \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \frac{\sin x \cos \delta x - \sin x}{\delta x} = 0 by observing that cosδx1\cos \delta x \to 1.

This is not a valid arguement. If we rearrange slightly as: limδx0sin(x)cosδx1δx\displaystyle \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \sin(x) \frac{\cos \delta x - 1}{\delta x} we see that you are dividing cosδx1\cos \delta x - 1 by δx\delta x.

So the mere knowledge that cosδx1\cos \delta x \to 1 is insufficient; you need instead limδx0cosδx1δx=0\displaystyle \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \frac{\cos \delta x - 1}{\delta x} = 0, which is a much stronger statement..

More elegant, no doubt, but the gain in rigour comes at loss of clarity.
Not much point in a "proof" that's clear but wrong. Rearranging to avoid the need of results on how quickly cosδx1\cos \delta x \to 1 is worth it, IMNSHO.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm not nitpicking about whether you explicitly say "as δx0\delta x \to 0"; it's clear enough from context. But my question is: what is sinδxδx\sin \delta x \to \delta x even supposed to mean? If you mean limδx0sinδxδx=1\displaystyle \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \frac{\sin \delta x}{\delta x} = 1, you should say so (and if you don't then I really don't know what you mean).

Yes, that's what I mean. As you say, it couldn't really mean anything else.

More fundamentally, you can't (always) look at a limiting expression and say "I'll take the limits for those bits out of the limit, but I'll leave some other bits in".

Fair point. In this case, it is OK to do though.

Not much point in a "proof" that's clear but wrong. Rearranging to avoid the need of results on how quickly cosδx1\cos \delta x \to 1 is worth it, IMNSHO.

I wasn't aiming for full mathematical rigour - just to show that sin(x) can be differentiated from first principles, which you have agreed with me is possible.
Yes, that's what I mean. As you say, it couldn't really mean anything else.

Fair point. In this case, it is OK to do though.
No, it isn't.

I wasn't aiming for full mathematical rigour - just to show that sin(x) can be differentiated from first principles, which you have agreed with me is possible.
Yes it can be done. But you didn't do so.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes, you are right. What I wrote originally was wrong and I see that now. Correction repped.

Quick Reply

Latest