The Student Room Group

MATHS HELP ... again :( pleaseeee

What would the mode and median be for this frequency table? please help!
and what's the best average and why?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kittymityyy
What would the mode be for this frequency table? would it be 0?

There is no frequency table could you upload a picture maybe?

my mistake my computer wouldn't load it
It would be 1, because that's the number associated with the highest frequency. 0 is the mode of the frequencies.
Original post by sdr981
It would be 1, because that's the number associated with the highest frequency. 0 is the mode of the frequencies

oh yeah, i can't be 0. But, I got an answer of 4 because you multiply number of pets by the frequencies, and the highest amount I got was when I multiplied the 4 number of pets with a frequency of 3 = 12. Wouldn't that be the mode as it is the highest resulting frequency?
oh yeah, i can't be 0. But, I got an answer of 4 because you multiply number of pets by the frequencies, and the highest amount I got was when I multiplied the 4 number of pets with a frequency of 3 = 12. Wouldn't that be the mode as it is the highest resulting frequency?

No, you are confusing frequency and frequency density. Plus, the mode is the value associated with the highest frequency, not that frequency itself.
Original post by sdr981
No, you are confusing frequency and frequency density. Plus, the mode is the value associated with the highest frequency, not that frequency itself.

OHH. That makes so much sense, thank you so much :')
If you don't mind, can you check these as well?
median = 1
mean = 4
range 8
OHH. That makes so much sense, thank you so much :')
If you don't mind, can you check these as well?
median = 1
mean = 4
range 8

or would the median be ..2?
What would the mode and median be for this frequency table? please help!
and what's the best average and why?

The mode is 1 because it has the highest frequency (9)
the median is 1.5 because there is a total frequency of 28 therefore the middle is between the 14th and 15th, the 14th value is in the 1 category and the 15th value is in the 2 category so the median is found by taking the mean of these two which is 1.5
The best average is the mean because it takes into account all of the values in the data set
Original post by RosieMc11
The mode is 1 because it has the highest frequency (9)
the median is 1.5 because there is a total frequency of 28 therefore the middle is between the 14th and 15th, the 14th value is in the 1 category and the 15th value is in the 2 category so the median is found by taking the mean of these two which is 1.5
The best average is the mean because it takes into account all of the values in the data set

Can't you round up 14.5 to 15 and then it would be in the 2nd category.
You have to use both the 14th and 15th value because they're both the middle values

Quick Reply

Latest