The Student Room Group

hesitant on firming warwick for maths - advice needed pleaseeee

hi i am in year 13 and got offers from warwick, manchester, bath and UCL for maths (also applied to imperial but got rejected lols) i am planning to put manchester as my insurance but i'm really hesitant on firming warwick or UCL. i know that warwick tops UCL in terms of the maths course, but i attended the warwick offer holder open day and i felt a bit put off by the whole environment after being set on going there for university. i don't know if it was because it was rainy and cloudy so it felt a bit more miserable, but the campus was very quiet and felt really lonely and isolated, but i feel like it would've been better to go in the summer when it feels less depressing there. and i also attended a taster supervision with other students and (apart from one girl who was so friendly and made the whole experience less daunting) i did not enjoy it as much; a student there was in charge of our session and basically handed us a paper of questions to have a go at on the board together. the boys split off into their own group so me and the other girls worked together, however we made little to no progress on the questions compared to the boys who were speeding through them (the questions were on proof and irrational numbres or something. i suck at proof so this just made matters worse) and when we asked the student for help, he would ask us questions in an attempt to give us hints but we all felt lost and idk, i felt so stupid and dumb in that moment and it made me really question am i actually good enough for maths at uni?? i mean, i'm pretty good at maths and further maths a level, and find maths as a whole really interesting, but i feel like once i get to uni i'll start to struggle a LOT compared to everyone else who are like maths geniuses who sat STEP and MAT and got a good score (i sat the MAT but did pretty awful at it). and also the male to female ratio at a lot of maths courses are male dominated and i feel like that'll make the struggle worse. IDKKK i feel like it's just me and my inferiority complex acting up again as usual and im probably overreacting but can someone pls give me some advice on how to feel about this?? is maths at uni as hard as it's made out to be?? does doing STEP and MAT influence and determine how well you will do at degree level?? i got a contextual offer of A*A*A from warwick and even though im really happy about it. i feel like i have to work 'less hard' compared to other offer holders with STEP requirements, even tho contextuals are literally given out to fill the quota for certain courses (according to my maths teacher anyway). i really like the look of warwick's maths course but i'm worried that i'll suffer from imposters syndrome even more once i start the course. as for UCL, the only thing i like about it is the fact that it's in london so will be more lively than coventry, but their maths department isn't as highly regarded compared to warwick's, and also their first year has a compulsory newtonian mechanics module and i dropped physics at the start of y13 so the though of doing it at uni is just a big no for me. but i got a better 'vibe' and gut feeling at UCLs open day than warwick....so essentially it's course vs uni life for me. ughhhh i dont know what to do!!!! if anyone could give their experiences of studying maths at warwick, and also say whether you did STEP/MAT and if you necessarily found it helpful for your course, i'd appreciate it a lot!!!! thank you in advance
Original post by mitskiluvr789
hi i am in year 13 and got offers from warwick, manchester, bath and UCL for maths (also applied to imperial but got rejected lols) i am planning to put manchester as my insurance but i'm really hesitant on firming warwick or UCL. i know that warwick tops UCL in terms of the maths course, but i attended the warwick offer holder open day and i felt a bit put off by the whole environment after being set on going there for university. i don't know if it was because it was rainy and cloudy so it felt a bit more miserable, but the campus was very quiet and felt really lonely and isolated, but i feel like it would've been better to go in the summer when it feels less depressing there. and i also attended a taster supervision with other students and (apart from one girl who was so friendly and made the whole experience less daunting) i did not enjoy it as much; a student there was in charge of our session and basically handed us a paper of questions to have a go at on the board together. the boys split off into their own group so me and the other girls worked together, however we made little to no progress on the questions compared to the boys who were speeding through them (the questions were on proof and irrational numbres or something. i suck at proof so this just made matters worse) and when we asked the student for help, he would ask us questions in an attempt to give us hints but we all felt lost and idk, i felt so stupid and dumb in that moment and it made me really question am i actually good enough for maths at uni?? i mean, i'm pretty good at maths and further maths a level, and find maths as a whole really interesting, but i feel like once i get to uni i'll start to struggle a LOT compared to everyone else who are like maths geniuses who sat STEP and MAT and got a good score (i sat the MAT but did pretty awful at it). and also the male to female ratio at a lot of maths courses are male dominated and i feel like that'll make the struggle worse. IDKKK i feel like it's just me and my inferiority complex acting up again as usual and im probably overreacting but can someone pls give me some advice on how to feel about this?? is maths at uni as hard as it's made out to be?? does doing STEP and MAT influence and determine how well you will do at degree level?? i got a contextual offer of A*A*A from warwick and even though im really happy about it. i feel like i have to work 'less hard' compared to other offer holders with STEP requirements, even tho contextuals are literally given out to fill the quota for certain courses (according to my maths teacher anyway). i really like the look of warwick's maths course but i'm worried that i'll suffer from imposters syndrome even more once i start the course. as for UCL, the only thing i like about it is the fact that it's in london so will be more lively than coventry, but their maths department isn't as highly regarded compared to warwick's, and also their first year has a compulsory newtonian mechanics module and i dropped physics at the start of y13 so the though of doing it at uni is just a big no for me. but i got a better 'vibe' and gut feeling at UCLs open day than warwick....so essentially it's course vs uni life for me. ughhhh i dont know what to do!!!! if anyone could give their experiences of studying maths at warwick, and also say whether you did STEP/MAT and if you necessarily found it helpful for your course, i'd appreciate it a lot!!!! thank you in advance

Why are you not considering Bath?
Bath is one of the top Unis for Maths and has one of the best placement programs in the UK - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...course-entries
One of the questions I asked myself at every uni open I went to was ‘Can I see myself here on a rainy, January Sunday?’ If the answer’s yes, great! If it’s no, is there enough other ‘good’ stuff going on that will make the Sunday tolerable?

No matter where you go, you’ll always feel like you’re not good enough but how that small group of students (current and prospective) behaved may not be representative of the course as a whole.

Ignore what your maths teacher said. Contextuals are given to people who have done well and probably would’ve got the standard grades needed if they hadn’t faced the circumstances that they had. Take all the help you can get!
Original post by dylnottheherb
One of the questions I asked myself at every uni open I went to was ‘Can I see myself here on a rainy, January Sunday?’ If the answer’s yes, great! If it’s no, is there enough other ‘good’ stuff going on that will make the Sunday tolerable?

No matter where you go, you’ll always feel like you’re not good enough but how that small group of students (current and prospective) behaved may not be representative of the course as a whole.

Ignore what your maths teacher said. Contextuals are given to people who have done well and probably would’ve got the standard grades needed if they hadn’t faced the circumstances that they had. Take all the help you can get!

This is wrong. Contextual offers are made to students who live in poorer areas or attend poor performing schools not based on how good a student is. They are offered to increase the level of participation to disadvantaged students.
Original post by swanseajack1
This is wrong. Contextual offers are made to students who live in poorer areas or attend poor performing schools not based on how good a student is. They are offered to increase the level of participation to disadvantaged students.

Students from Poorer areas/poor performing schools (or other circumstances) - i.e students who haven’t had access to the same resources than others and therefore might not have been able to reach their full potential…
Warwick Maths is Excellent, but it's also very proof-heavy and hard. The male-to-female ratio is around 50/50 so you should be ok. The campus is great, very lively, and has a great atmosphere on the weekdays. I wouldn't say I'm a maths genius but I'm still doing ok, it really depends on how much time you put in.
Reply 7

Were you there on the 11th of March, I was there that day and I loved it. I got an offer from Imperial as well but it is high A*A*A* plus 2 in any STEP, I have decided to firm Warwick so no point in insuring Imperial, I am still waiting for UCL, got rejected from Cambridge after the interview, got an offer from Queen Mary but I don’t like it, I just put the choice in case I don’t get any other offers!
My offer for Warwick is A*A*AA
Reply 8
Hi, I'm quite late but I was wondering with 4 A* predicted and a contextual, would there be a high likelihood of getting an offer from Warwick, UCL, LSE or imperial without a MAT, STEP or TMUA entry.
no these courses dont go into clearing any year
Original post by swanseajack1
no these courses dont go into clearing any year

I think they're asking about applying in the main cycle?

Original post by Cxhjjhh
Hi, I'm quite late but I was wondering with 4 A* predicted and a contextual, would there be a high likelihood of getting an offer from Warwick, UCL, LSE or imperial without a MAT, STEP or TMUA entry.

Depends on whether the external entrance exams are mandatory or an option to get a reduced/alternative offer. If they are optional I would think you stand a reasonable chance - although I would recommend picking a sensible range of courses to apply to, and not just 5 ultra-compeititve ones.

NB. We also don't know how much they weight the personal statement, (although I suspect it's not much for this subject).
Although the OP doesn't seem to have been active since posting this, for posterity: while first impressions do matter, you can't always judge a book by its cover. It's not uncommon for some open days to run during university break periods for undergraduates, and so invariably the campus itself will end up seeming to be less busy - for campus based unis outside of major cities, this sense can be compounded by the lack of anything else going on. However that is not necessarily reflective of how it is while all undergraduates are on campus :smile: And don't mistake the business of a city for a city based university being "busy" or "lively" - often the "town and gown" can be quite divided in that as well!
Reply 12

just because those guys were speeding through the questions doesn't mean they are smarter than you. Usually those who are more humble are better at the subject. It is better to be humble like yourself than arrogant. Warwick wouldn't have offered you a place if you weren't clever enough, don't worry about it, just have confidence in yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending