The Student Room Group

Mechanics- velocity and acceleration

I have solved it but I want to know how to solve it just by taking velocity values.16063102541674100009480120109793.jpg I calculated displacement and then subtracted s2-s1 to get 6.25m.
Since iam doing the topic which focuses on area under the graph can someone help me how to calculate without calculating displacement
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Shas72
I have solved it but I want to know how to solve it just by taking velocity values.16063102541674100009480120109793.jpg I calculated displacement and then subtracted s2-s1 to get 6.25m.
Since iam doing the topic which focuses on area under the graph can someone help me how to calculate without calculating displacement

Which question?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Which question?

Sorry its the 4th question
Reply 3
Original post by Shas72
Sorry its the 4th question

Seeing it's about the area under graphs, what is the area "under the graph"?
How is it related to your calculation and what was your calculation?
Reply 4
I calculated the displacement and subtracted s2-s1 for both the velocity values
Reply 5
area under the graph would be the area of triangle.
Reply 6
Original post by Shas72
I calculated the displacement and subtracted s2-s1 for both the velocity values

Original post by Shas72
area under the graph would be the area of triangle.

What did you actually do?
It usually takes ~8 posts to find out what you've done.
Reply 7
I calculated the two displacement taking both the velocity values. I got the ans. I just want to know if I can calculate directly without calculating displacement.
Reply 8
Original post by Shas72
I calculated the two displacement taking both the velocity values. I got the ans. I just want to know if I can calculate directly without calculating displacement.

The calculation can be done using the (signed) area ( between the curve and the x-axus).
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
The calculation can be done using the (signed) area ( between the curve and the x-axus).

You mean the area that I have marked with the pencil?
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766

Also wanted to know whether its ok to calculate using displacement as I find it easier in some cases of velocity time graph
Original post by Shas72
You mean the area that I have marked with the pencil?

No, that's not how you integrate, but Its hard to see which area you're talking about.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Shas72
Also wanted to know whether its ok to calculate using displacement as I find it easier in some cases of velocity time graph

It will depend on what the question says.
Reply 13
Original post by mqb2766
No, that's not how you integrate, but Its hard to see which area you're talking about.

Can you pls pls show me just a tiny part of the working if its OK, then I can get an idea and I can calculate further. Pls do it if its ok. Otherwise its fine no problem. Really appreciate the efforts you take to explain to me
Reply 14
16063140012005535954546942008235.jpg is it the area of the triangle between the points 1 and 1.5
Original post by Shas72
is it the area of the triangle between the points 1 and 1.5

You want the signed area for the graph.

Do you know what that is?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
is it the whole triangle with points 10, -15
Reply 17
yes pls if you can tell me it would be very very helpful
Original post by DFranklin
You want the signed area for the graph.

Do you know what that is?

Original post by Shas72
is it the whole triangle with points 10, -15

Original post by Shas72
yes pls if you can tell me it would be very very helpful

I asked a simple question which should have a Yes or No answer. Neither of your responses answer the question in a useful fashion.

Previously, I stopped replying to you because it's so frustrating. and I felt bad about giving you a bad time. But observing recent posts by you, what I see is:

People ask you questions about what you're doing, and you ignore them, or answer something else (basically, what you imagine they asked insead of what they actually asked)..
People tell you to do "X", and you're response makes it clear you've done something completely different.
People tell you to think before you post, and in less than 2 minutes there's another (hopelessly wrong) response from you.

You can't blame this on homeschooling. It seems you simply don't pay attention to the responses people post. (One thing I'll point out: mathematical language is precise, If you don't understand what "X" means, don't guess, because you will very likely be wrong. Either google it, or ask, or if you must guess, say that you're guessing: e.g. "I'm guessing that signed area means the area of the big triangle, in which case ..."

On which note, I'm guessing that you don't know what signed area is, in which case the youtube video with identifier MTCpI2ihdEM might help. (I'm not giving you a link, because I want to see if you actually pay attention to this post as opposed to just clicking on anything clickable).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
so basically I just find the area of triangle = 5×2.5/2. v2-v1=5 and total time is 2.5

Quick Reply

Latest