The Student Room Group

Binomial expansion help?

With question 7, i cant get to the correct answer?
I thought there are two ways of getting x^2, one by just having an x^2 term from the right bracket and multiplying that by 5, and the other is by having a x term and then multiplying that by x.
Either way is not getting me to the correct answer. ive attached my shity working incase ur interested lol.
Also by finding x^2 the first way i mentioned, that gives an k^2, so therefore that itself gives two vlaues of k. So altogether i get like 3 values which is DEFO wrong....

thank you!!
Reply 1
Write out the expansion properly. You get a single quadratic equation, not two independent linear/quadratic equations.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Write out the expansion properly. You get a single quadratic equation, not two independent linear equations.

ooh so i have to expand it completely??
i was tryna take a short cut lol guess that didn't work out :/
Original post by mqb2766
Write out the expansion properly. You get a single quadratic equation, not two independent linear/quadratic equations.

got it lol thanks for ur help!

i was sort of close with my initial method i just forgot to add them together which is so annoying:/
Reply 4
Best way to learn about short cuts is to do it the long way first?
Original post by mqb2766
Best way to learn about short cuts is to do it the long way first?

yeah lmao true
Original post by mqb2766

could I ask you a quick question abt nCr?

If we are given nC2 is 15 is there a way to work out the value of n without trial and error using a calc? using the formula would be really complicated cuz of the factorials right?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Why is the formula difficult? As it's choose 2, it will give an easy quadratic in n.
Again, do it the long way, and learn the shortcut.
Original post by mqb2766
Why is the formula difficult? As it's choose 2, it will give an easy quadratic in n.
Again, do it the long way, and learn the shortcut.

Ignore
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by vix.xvi

nvvmmm lol i got it thanks!! ignore that :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest