The Student Room Group

Why is all covid research from Oxford?

I thought other unis were getting better, and then they had this big chance to prove themselves in a global pandemic and...

All the covid research is from Oxford ffs. The vaccine, the dexamethasone medication, a bunch more stuff I see in the news - is all from Oxford?

Wasn't there supposed to be an Imperial vaccine? What happened to it? Was it not good enough? They've done a lot of the public health research of course... which has gone really well...

Or is it all media bias, maybe? Are other unis making vaccines and new medications too?

What happened?
Sounds like a non-question, Oxford ran with the ball.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
Sounds like a non-question, Oxford ran with the ball.

'Ran with the ball' - normally this means that someone took someone else's work and furthered it themselves. Is that what you mean?

If you just mean 'they are doing a lot' then yes definitely. I'm just wondering why no one else is?

If you are a young student interested in biomedical science research or clinical medical say, well who else is actually doing research? Is there a UCL vaccine, or a Manchester antiviral (both unis a lot bigger than Oxford)
I saw a meme/Facebook post about how the Oxford vaccine works by telling the coronavirus inside one's body all about how it's from Oxford, until the coronavirus gets fed up and leaves the body. So maybe it's all part of the master-plan to banish the virus once and for all? :teehee:
Original post by medds
I thought other unis were getting better, and then they had this big chance to prove themselves in a global pandemic and...

All the covid research is from Oxford ffs. The vaccine, the dexamethasone medication, a bunch more stuff I see in the news - is all from Oxford?

Wasn't there supposed to be an Imperial vaccine? What happened to it? Was it not good enough? They've done a lot of the public health research of course... which has gone really well...

Or is it all media bias, maybe? Are other unis making vaccines and new medications too?

What happened?

I heard Brookes is sick as a parrot about it
Original post by medds

What happened?

I saw a research article mentioning how oxford university has been preparing a vaccine for a pandemic for years now. I'm guessing this put them significantly ahead of the competition. I don't know if the source was reliable, but it does make sense. Other universities, especially the Russel group institutions have exceptional researching facilities but I think Oxford was a lot better prepared for this situation than anyone else hence they were able to provide a vaccine first.
Reply 6
Original post by medds

Wasn't there supposed to be an Imperial vaccine? What happened to it? Was it not good enough?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/covid-19-vaccine-trial/trial-info/
Reply 7
Here's what happened: Oxford were the superior. The end. Now, sit back and enjoy. 😌
Reply 8
That group at Oxford were already researching coronaviruses when the pandemic hit, so they were in a good position.
Also Imperial has been in the news for coronavirus, and not just because Neil Ferguson had sex with someone else's wife.
Oxford are one of the biggest medical health centres in Europe, and they are way ahead of essentially all other unis in terms of doing research for health in the developing world (where there is no money for the research), which is in large part vaccines. They were very well placed.

But they are also just a very large research centre with loads of funding, and anyone pretending that all other universities are just as well placed to do medical research, is clearly wrong. Very few other unis would have been able to create their own vaccine purely in terms of clinical trial infrastructure, and few would have been able to lead a study like the Recovery trial (the dexamethasone one).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending