The Student Room Group

Oxford masters grades

I'm thinking about applying for a master's degree at Oxford when the next application cycle starts. I'm at the end of my second year, not sure what my final grade will be, but unless something goes wrong, it'll be a 1st. However, my first-year grades are a bit lower, I got a 65, which, although not a bad grade, falls below Oxford's entry requirements (67 for my course). Although my first-year mark doesn't count towards my final degree, it doesn't exactly give my academic record a good look. Am I better off waiting until after my 3rd year to apply when I have all my grades, or should I risk it now?
Reply 1
What subject?
It's important to remember that applying for Oxford Postgraduate is a very different (and in my opinion nicer) system to applying for undergraduate. A 65% in first year will not be a deal breaker if you're super-curricular's and portfolio are strong.
I was at a 2:2 in first year (COVID year, lots of modules not assessed etc), but have been offered a place at Oxford after securing a 1:1 in my second year (so long as I achieve a 67% overall in my degree). Ultimately, as long as you meet the requirements, Oxford seems to value research experience and original ideas/projects more than exceptional grades.
If you do take a year out, be prepared to talk about what you did in that year and how it prepared you for study. If you want to maximise your chances focus on research and publication opportunities
Good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm thinking about applying for a master's degree at Oxford when the next application cycle starts. I'm at the end of my second year, not sure what my final grade will be, but unless something goes wrong, it'll be a 1st. However, my first-year grades are a bit lower, I got a 65, which, although not a bad grade, falls below Oxford's entry requirements (67 for my course). Although my first-year mark doesn't count towards my final degree, it doesn't exactly give my academic record a good look. Am I better off waiting until after my 3rd year to apply when I have all my grades, or should I risk it now?

1. You should get a 1st Class grade in Year 2, so you really should wait until the 3rd year to make an application.

2. Your 65 score in Year 1, is slightly lower than 67, so you might risk being rejected.

3. I would wait and apply after having achieved a 1st in Year 2 and Year 3, as Oxford University is heavily oversubscribed for a lot of its Masters courses.

4. Which Masters degree course are you considering applying for at Oxford University? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending