The Student Room Group

BA FILM ( which uni, AUB / NAPIER/ UCA)

Hi I got accepted into these three universities for ba in film/ film production
UCA
AUB (Bournemouth film school)
Edinburgh Napier University

They all are pretty good, like napier is ranked number 1 in film and photography in guardian but its four years, and aub has great alumni and is known for its bournemouth film school? Im confused on which to decide between these three.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 123studentt
UCA

They all are pretty good, like napier is ranked number 1 in film and photography in guardian but its four years, and aub has great alumni and is known for its bournemouth film school? Im confused on which to decide between these three.

I’m at AUB and it’s awful. Wouldn’t recommend you doing film altogether if I’m being honest. It’s not worth it and there are better ways of getting into the industry aside from university
Reply 2
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I’m at AUB and it’s awful. Wouldn’t recommend you doing film altogether if I’m being honest. It’s not worth it and there are better ways of getting into the industry aside from university

Hey, sorry to hear that, I thought it would be great considering its rank and reputation for the bournemouth film school. Why wouldn't you recommend AUB? also I agree that university isn't the only way, but considering that ,universities (especially art degrees) then aren't necessary at all, other than degrees in the scientific field
Hey, sorry to hear that, I thought it would be great considering its rank and reputation for the bournemouth film school. Why wouldn't you recommend AUB? also I agree that university isn't the only way, but considering that ,universities (especially art degrees) then aren't necessary at all, other than degrees in the scientific field

I’m going to copy and paste what I wrote in another thread as I can’t be bothered to type it again.

I would first advise you to read this post as it sums up why film production courses are basically a complete waste of time.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5210328

It certinally doesn’t help that I’m doing a practical course and will have been on campus for a grand total of 12 times during the entire year that I’ve been on the course. I’ve spent most of this year being depressed and crying my eyes out in my bedroom. It has without a doubt been one of the worst years of my life.

AUB specifically is awful because:-

- Accommodation is way to overpriced
- No study abroad opportunities
- No work experience opportunities or year/term in industry
- Employment statistics after the course are false
- Campus is too small. You literally cannot fit anyone in the cafeteria and there isn’t enough space for everyone in the library.
- What happens on film courses is that lots of people dominate and they make good films and the people who are shy/introverted etc get left out and they make ****y films that no one cares about.
- Students aren’t academically engaged
- Because you don’t have ultimate control of your films (unless you direct and write) it is entirely possible to spend three years at film school and not work on any films you are happy with
- SU is absolutely dire and there’s basically no clubs/societies
- No social life in Bournemouth as it’s full of boomers
- Nothing to do on campus aside from go to university
- When you get to the point where you start to crew up your films it’s essentially first come first served so all the people who are good make good films and the people who are awful make bad films and it is not fair

Honestly if are serious about making films I would either go to university and do a traditional degree (Christopher Nolan chose to go to UCL specifically for the filming equipment) and get involved with the film societies at university or do an apprenticeship as there a surprising amount in film. No one cares about which university you went to with film. They care about your portfolio. Going to AUB over Westminster makes no difference as no one will care. It’s all down to your showreel.

If I was in your position I would email your local FE college (email several) and ask about film related apprenticeships. Defer your offer(s) and start volunteering doing film related stuff for local organisations (charities and stuff) near you. Use the experience from volunteering to basically guarantee a yourself good apprenticeship that will essentially set you up for life (many people who I know who got good apprenticeships at 18 are still working for the same companies now, 6 years later and are doing much better than my friends who have degrees - I am 23!)

There’s no point in doing a film degree when you don’t actually need one to progress in your life. University is too expensive and far too much stress these days (with it being too competitive to get a job after your degree) to just go for the sake of it or go because you think ‘it might be fun.’
UCA

Hi!

Congratulations on being accepted with Edinburgh Napier! Just a couple of points to add about our uni that may support doing 4 years rather than 3. We offer a 3rd year placement opportunity (previously students have gone on the work with the same companies when they graduate) but overall this is a great addition to your CV. Alternatively you could choose to study abroad which many students opt to do. Our University is also known for its graduate support, the student futures team are very involved with students and our Alumni have gone on to work with some of the biggest companies in the industry.

Ive also added a link below for our film society:

https://www.napierstudents.com/organisation/societies/7662/

If there's anything else that I can help with, please give me a shout! Best of luck with your decision!

Thanks

Stef @ ENU

Quick Reply

Latest