The Student Room Group

2024 Entries - I'm not sure which offer to accept (BA Animation)

I've been offered an unconditional offer from York St Johns Uni which is great because I love the school and the city but I've also been offered a reduced conditional offer from Bournemouth Uni. I do like the facilities they have there and the course they offer, I'm just not sure if I make a firm choice for St Johns or I make it an insurance choice.

I'm not the biggest fan of the city of Bournemouth but they have good industry opportunities, seemingly more than York.

If any current students from either or anyone applying to either has any advice that'd be great ! I just wanted to make sure that if I didn't go straight for York then I wouldn't regret it.

(edited 1 month ago)
Where do you think you will be happiest?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Where do you think you will be happiest?
Probably York St Johns since the community there seems so nice but it's the way Bournemouth works I like. But yeah most likely St Johns is the nicer of the two (in terms of me wanting to spend a couple years of my life there).
Reply 3
In my point of view it doesn't matter which one you make your insurance or firm choice because at the end when you get your results you can still accept any uni you want doesn't matter if it's your firm or insurance choice.
What are your other 3 choices?
Reply 5
Original post by niycos
In my point of view it doesn't matter which one you make your insurance or firm choice because at the end when you get your results you can still accept any uni you want doesn't matter if it's your firm or insurance choice.
Not so. If you accept an unconditional offer your insurance offer disappears off UCAS, because you don't need it any more. If you change your mind on results day you have to ask the unconditional choice to release you and hope the other still has room and will let you in. Even if you choose the conditional offer as your firm and keep the other as insurance, if you meet the conditions on results day the insurance choice disappears. It's possible to go to your insurance choice not your firm, but it's not a guaranteed thing.
Original post by niycos

NO YOU CAN'T.

Results are processed by the Universities days before you get them and if your Firm Uni accepts you (regardless of grades) then your Insurance disappears and you cannot get it back or 'change your mind'.
Reply 7
NO YOU CAN'T.
Results are processed by the Universities days before you get them and if your Firm Uni accepts you (regardless of grades) then your Insurance disappears and you cannot get it back or 'change your mind'.

damn I got tols differently, I ****ed my application then 😭
NO YOU CAN'T.

Although to be fair YSJ is likely to take anyone given their desperation with unconditional offers. And BU isn’t exactly selective for animation despite their publicity.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
What are your other 3 choices?
Brighton, Bristol and Norwich Uni of Arts
Original post by meepm0rp
Brighton, Bristol and Norwich Uni of Arts

And have you ruled them out because you don’t like the places/courses at all? Or for another reason?

Is the ysj course as narrow as the BU course? Do you want to study/work in only computer animation?
(edited 1 month ago)
Bristol doesnt offer 'Animation' - do you mean UWE.
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
And have you ruled them out because you don’t like the places/courses at all? Or for another reason?
Is the ysj course as narrow as the BU course? Do you want to study/work in only computer animation?
I narrowed it down based on how the unis felt when I went there and know some people from bristol, UWE and NUA so they told me about how the community and such outside of the unis were. It just so happened that I prefer these 2. I mainly want to do 2D animation but I’m also really interested in stop motion and claymation :]
I think the YSJ is a little broader experimentation wise but Bournemouth seems to have a good idea of what they’re going for specifically.
Reply 13
Bristol doesnt offer 'Animation' - do you mean UWE.
Yeah sorry I mean UWE
I narrowed it down based on how the unis felt when I went there and know some people from bristol, UWE and NUA so they told me about how the community and such outside of the unis were. It just so happened that I prefer these 2. I mainly want to do 2D animation but I’m also really interested in stop motion and claymation :]
I think the YSJ is a little broader experimentation wise but Bournemouth seems to have a good idea of what they’re going for specifically.

The BU animation degree is only computer animation. If those are your interests then BU wouldn’t be a good choice.

Or have you applied to AUB not BU?
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
The BU animation degree is only computer animation. If those are your interests then BU wouldn’t be a good choice.
Or have you applied to AUB not BU?
I’ve applied to AUB so they have a little more leeway with that kinda stuff
I've been offered an unconditional offer from York St Johns Uni which is great because I love the school and the city but I've also been offered a reduced conditional offer from Bournemouth Uni. I do like the facilities they have there and the course they offer, I'm just not sure if I make a firm choice for St Johns or I make it an insurance choice.
I'm not the biggest fan of the city of Bournemouth but they have good industry opportunities, seemingly more than York.
If any current students from either or anyone applying to either has any advice that'd be great ! I just wanted to make sure that if I didn't go straight for York then I wouldn't regret it.
Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations on your unconditional offer with us!

Secondly, you should choose the university which is most suited to you. I would defiantly suggest that you go along to any decision/offer holder days at both of the universities to help you get more of a feel of the different campus's as well as allows you to speak to the students and lectures at each university. This will allow you to ask any questions you have about the courses at both the universities as well as get an insight from current students and what they think about the university. Our next decision day it the 27th March and you can book on using this link Decision Days | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk)

I would also suggest looking at the different courses on the website and see what modules interest you the most to help you make your decision.

If you have any questions about studying at YSJ let us know and we will be happy to answer them. I hope this helps 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador
Hi there,

Just echoing some of what Katie from YSJ said above. The most important thing is that you make the right decision for you. We also have Offer Holder Days coming up over here on Friday 12 and 19 April which are a great way to get a feel for studying with us. More info on our Offer Holder Days here: https://aub.ac.uk/apply/undergraduate/offer-holder-days.

If there’s anything else you’d like to know, ask us on here, email our admissions team at [email protected] or chat with current students on Unibuddy on our website

Hope this helps and best of luck with the decision making process,

AUB
(edited 1 month ago)

Hi,

My friends recently graduated from the animation course at YSJ in November of last year, and they really enjoyed it. In terms of opportunities, they made short films for their end of year project, in third year, which ended up being shown in film festivals across the UK. They have recently been nominated for Television Society award, which is amazing, achievement.

https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/news/2024/royal-television-society-2024/

Like the other YSJ student ambassador, Katie has said, come along to an open day/decision day and have a look around. Make sure where you go is best place suited to you and what you want to get out of your university experience.

You can also talk to the admissions team if you have any questions about firm and insurance choices on UCAS, and how it all works.

Good luck!

Suzan - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending