The Student Room Group

University

Is it a massive difference on if i go to a russell group uni or not
It's pretty meaningless for most undergrad subjects. It's certainly not a golden ticket for anything.
Original post by ellafaulkner07

@Ellafaulkner

It depends what you are going to study and how competitive the field is.

If it is a subject where it would be expected for you to attend a Russell Group university, then to stay competitive, it might be advisable.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield

@Ellafaulkner

It depends what you are going to study and how competitive the field is.

If it is a subject where it would be expected for you to attend a Russell Group university, then to stay competitive, it might be advisable.

Hope that helps,

Oh yes that makes a lot of sense i’m kind of on the fence of what degree i want to take but i’m leaning towards media/film/journalism what would you recommend for that ?
Reply 4
Remember that it is just as possible to be thoroughly miserable and hate the course at any RG Uni - it is not any sort of guarantee of instant happiness and fulfilment.

Go to Open Days, look around and ask questions, and pick the Unis where you will feel comfortable
Oh yes that makes a lot of sense i’m kind of on the fence of what degree i want to take but i’m leaning towards media/film/journalism what would you recommend for that ?

A course that is practical, meets any industry standards, and preferably has a placement year.
(edited 6 months ago)

Hi, that's a frequently asked question, and something I was worried about too when making my university decisions.

Russel Group is a university partnership primarily focused on research, which is usually more important if you are a postgraduate student. I would agree with other advices on the thread: to look for the best course for your specific subject of choice.
For example, The Complete University Guide rankings for Communications and Media studies are topped by Loughborough and Lancaster Universities, neither of which are in the Russel Group. (https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/communication-and-media-studies)
It's important to consider the course content as the main decision factor: is it practical, interesting, useful? At Lancaster University our degrees tend to focus a lot on practical and industry applications and the Media and Cultural Studies course has a lot of optional modules to allow you to adjust your degree to your liking. (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/media-and-cultural-studies-ba-hons-lp63/2024/)

Hope this helps :smile:

Polina (LU Student Ambassador)

Read this:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/what-are-russell-group-universities

@ellafaulkner07

I don't think you need to go to a Russell Group university for media, film or journalism but I think you do need to do some research to find out the best places to study your subject. So looking at rankings for your subject might be a good start. For example here is one table for the best universities in the UK to study journalism.

When it comes to media, film or journalism, I think you have to be good at what you do, have a strong portfolio of work that reflects your skills/talent or just be able to get your name out there. I think you need the right contacts who can help you get your foot in the door or provide opportunities to learn.
I think it's about being able to market yourself, networking and being very good at keeping up-to-date with competitions, internships, placements etc...

In short, I think experience and a strong body of work will serve you better than just having "a university that you went to", unless its known for its media, film or journalism course.

Hope that helps,

Hi there
this definitely used to be more of a thing, but now that met universities are so good, producing such good results ect. It really doesn’t make much of a difference!
thanks
Emily

Hi there,

Russell group universities are great and have very good reputation. However, this is not the only thing to consider when looking at universities. Just because a university is a Russel group, it doesn't mean it is the best option for you or for the course. There are lot of universities which have high rankings for courses/overall or have lots of good connections for graduates and placements and are not considered russell groups.

You should also consider what is best for you. While you want to go to a good university for your degree, you also want to make sure you are going to enjoy living and studying there. What are the cities like? What societies and clubs are offered? What are the living costs in the area? These are all things you'll want to consider and more to make your university experience right for you!

Hope this helped,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

If you want to work in film then you want a CILECT member film school - there's not many (only 1 is a RG member - Edinburgh - and even then it's joint with Ed Napier). You're unlikely to find any degrees with meaningful placement years in film - the industry and career pathways in film are through short term roles and self employment so there aren't generally big employers who have the capacity to offer a meaningful placement for a year.

Journalism - an accredited journalism degree. There's a lot more of these but again not many RG members - only Sheffield I think has NCTJ accreditation.

Media - I wouldn't recommend a media degree unless you're looking to work in radio. Any other medium you can find much more focused degrees (in film, tv etc)....radio is only really available at BA as a component within a decent media degree. However in that case a placement year is more likely to be a good option.

The russell group are a lobby group linked to research funding - if you're not looking to take a research degree then it's pretty irrelevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending