The Student Room Group

2:2

I got rewarded a 2:2 which I'm not happy about. I usually attain A/B grades since GCSEs. What do I do now to become an accountant with this disadvantage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dynamzd
I got rewarded a 2:2 which I'm not happy about. I usually attain A/B grades since GCSEs. What do I do now to become an accountant with this disadvantage?

You've posted this in GCSEs. Are you actually talking about an undergraduate degree result?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
You've posted this in GCSEs. Are you actually talking about an undergraduate degree result?

Yes I'm talking about my degree grade
Find grad schemes or jobs that accept a 2:2, get work experience, take a masters - there’s plenty of options, it’s just going to take some research.
Reply 4
What were your a level results and subjects? What was your degree in?
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
What were your a level results and subjects? What was your degree in?

I studied A Levels Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry and got A*BB respectively. I studied Maths at uni and got a 2:2
Reply 6
Original post by Dynamzd
I studied A Levels Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry and got A*BB respectively. I studied Maths at uni and got a 2:2

which uni?
Yes, realistically most graduate accounting firms will require a 2.1, certainly all the well known multinationals.

You’ll probably have to target smaller local firms which might overlook your academics if you show you are well motivated, willing to work hard, learn etc.
Reply 8
Original post by Dynamzd

Cool. So there are a fair few routes into accounting. Some will be more complicated than others due to grade filters. Did you apply for grad schemes during your third year and if so how did you get on?

1) Large accounting firms. Its easy enough to google 'top 50 accounting firms uk' and check their websites for grade requirements. Some will accept a 2.2 but the number was limited last time I looked. EY and Grant Thornton would be good ones to look at for starters. One thing to be aware of - the larger firms have stated a 2:1 minimum for years and yet people with 2:2s get in. These seem to be applicants with STEM degrees from Oxbridge/ Imperial - not sure about other exceptions.

2) Large company grad schemes. Not all have a 2.1 requirement so look through as many as you can find and apply to the ones which are open to you

3) Civil service - I think that should be a possibility and might appeal?

4) Smaller accounting firms. Check https://jobs.icaew.com/ if based in England/ Wales.

5) Normal entry into business accounting - get an entry level job, do some training and progress. Let me know if you are interested in learning more about this route - probably more common as going through grad schemes/ accounting firms but not often mentioned on these forums where people think grad scheme or bust.

Few things to check:
Which area of the country are you in and which regions would you look for jobs in?
Do you have decent GCSE grades particularly English/ Lit?
Reply 9
Original post by Ak4753
which uni?

Queen Mary
Reply 10
Original post by ajj2000
Cool. So there are a fair few routes into accounting. Some will be more complicated than others due to grade filters. Did you apply for grad schemes during your third year and if so how did you get on?

1) Large accounting firms. Its easy enough to google 'top 50 accounting firms uk' and check their websites for grade requirements. Some will accept a 2.2 but the number was limited last time I looked. EY and Grant Thornton would be good ones to look at for starters. One thing to be aware of - the larger firms have stated a 2:1 minimum for years and yet people with 2:2s get in. These seem to be applicants with STEM degrees from Oxbridge/ Imperial - not sure about other exceptions.

2) Large company grad schemes. Not all have a 2.1 requirement so look through as many as you can find and apply to the ones which are open to you

3) Civil service - I think that should be a possibility and might appeal?

4) Smaller accounting firms. Check https://jobs.icaew.com/ if based in England/ Wales.

5) Normal entry into business accounting - get an entry level job, do some training and progress. Let me know if you are interested in learning more about this route - probably more common as going through grad schemes/ accounting firms but not often mentioned on these forums where people think grad scheme or bust.

Few things to check:
Which area of the country are you in and which regions would you look for jobs in?
Do you have decent GCSE grades particularly English/ Lit?

I'm in London. Would prefer a job in London or South East England
Reply 11
Original post by Dynamzd
Queen Mary

2:2 in Maths QMUL, I'd say ground up from smaller firms that accept 2:2 or don't have academic requirements. ACCA on the whole isn't particularly maths intensive iirc. The actuarial route on the other hand may be more difficult to go into as it is maths heavy. Any mitigating circs?
Reply 12
Original post by Ak4753
2:2 in Maths QMUL, I'd say ground up from smaller firms that accept 2:2 or don't have academic requirements. ACCA on the whole isn't particularly maths intensive iirc. The actuarial route on the other hand may be more difficult to go into as it is maths heavy. Any mitigating circs?

No mitigating circumstances
Reply 13
Original post by Dynamzd
No mitigating circumstances

I see. Did you just struggle with the degree? And how close to a 2:1?
Reply 14
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
Find grad schemes or jobs that accept a 2:2, get work experience, take a masters - there’s plenty of options, it’s just going to take some research.

Taking a master's may not be ideal if they struggle with higher-level maths content. Moreover, a lot of applied maths Mscs (acc/finance etc.) that are at least QMUL level (OPs alma matter) usually want 2:1s as they are competitive.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Dynamzd
I'm in London. Would prefer a job in London or South East England

That makes things easier - plenty to apply to.
Reply 16
Original post by ajj2000
That makes things easier - plenty to apply to.

Not really. Means they're applying in a more competitive market.

I'd actually recommend applying outside as well.
Original post by Ak4753
Not really. Means they're applying in a more competitive market.

I'd actually recommend applying outside as well.

I've recruited for accounting positions in industry in London, a nearby town in the south east and in the north of England. Its way easier to get a break and move up the ladder in London so long as you have somewhere to live. The transport network also helps a lot

I suspect some London based grad schemes may be more competitive as most young graduates are happy to live in London. The OP is more likely to be looking at general entry level positions though.
Reply 18
Original post by ajj2000
I've recruited for accounting positions in industry in London, a nearby town in the south east and in the north of England. Its way easier to get a break and move up the ladder in London so long as you have somewhere to live. The transport network also helps a lot

I suspect some London based grad schemes may be more competitive as most young graduates are happy to live in London. The OP is more likely to be looking at general entry level positions though.

Ahh, I see the confusion. I was referring to grad schemes but obviously entry-level would likely be more realistic considering OPs situation.
Original post by Ak4753
Ahh, I see the confusion. I was referring to grad schemes but obviously entry-level would likely be more realistic considering OPs situation.

Ah - get you. Yes - I think the advice varies a lot depending on where someone lives and their geographic mobility. That being said - what is the percentage chance of someone getting onto a grad scheme? Some people will get multiple offers but the average person with a 2.1 or first, AAB ish A levels? I doubt its more than 50% and suspect that's a high estimate depending on the degree taken. Possibly better if you've targeted a career for a while and / or have a year in industry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending