The Student Room Group

Helpp sociology is killing me

Please can someone tell me how to improve in a level sociology as I’m in year 13 and I’m still getting grade Ds and Es and I’m super worried about my exams.

Scroll to see replies

Im exactly the same!! I try so hard but I’m getting awful grades :frown:
I did A level sociology last year and got an A* so if either of you have any specific questions or need any guidance at all I'm happy to help in whatever way you need
Reply 3
Original post by SB1234567890
I did A level sociology last year and got an A* so if either of you have any specific questions or need any guidance at all I'm happy to help in whatever way you need

Thank youuu so much! Do you have any effective ways to revise sociology? I always struggle with remembering all the sociologists and key concepts
Original post by ayesha_15
Thank youuu so much! Do you have any effective ways to revise sociology? I always struggle with remembering all the sociologists and key concepts

I would say that it's not worth trying to remember absolutely everything and instead just try to remember the sociologists that you would use in an essay on each topic plus a few extras in case a 10 marker covers a slightly different area
I created quizlets on every topic which I tested myself on regularly then once I was confident on the quizlet I would use blurting to see if I could recall the content without prompts. For areas that had had little confidence in, I would create flash cards, or another source such as mind maps or posters
I also created essay plans on each topic to summarise the key facts/sociologists, evaluation points and conclusion of each essay
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any other questions you have

How do I do a conclusion? I never know how to as stupid as it sound
Original post by basicallyahm1
How do I do a conclusion? I never know how to as stupid as it sound

It's not stupid at all- I'd agree that it's hard as it's less like there's a set structure and more that there is a set conclusion (or choice between a few) for each topic
Do you do AQA because, if you do, if you'd like, I could message how I would have conluded an esssay on each topic
Yeaaa I do AQA
Reply 8
I would say that it's not worth trying to remember absolutely everything and instead just try to remember the sociologists that you would use in an essay on each topic plus a few extras in case a 10 marker covers a slightly different area
I created quizlets on every topic which I tested myself on regularly then once I was confident on the quizlet I would use blurting to see if I could recall the content without prompts. For areas that had had little confidence in, I would create flash cards, or another source such as mind maps or posters
I also created essay plans on each topic to summarise the key facts/sociologists, evaluation points and conclusion of each essay

Oh right thankss that was really helpful, also what general structure did you use to write your paragraphs?
Original post by basicallyahm1
Yeaaa I do AQA

Internal vs external differences in achievement/subject choice for different subject choices- differences are caused by a combination of and the interaction between internal and external factors. For example... However, (insert social groups that haven't been mentioned) also have to be considered and interact with (insert social group that's the focus of the essay. For example...
Role of education- short sentences summarising the consensus vs conflict debate then flip it by adding structure vs action (for example all of them are too deterministic)
educational policy- despite marketisation and privatisation policies appearing to improve achievement, this has only been for the middle class, resulting in greater inequality...

methods in context- focus on what positivists and interpretivists would argue

family (if your school does it)
- division of labour- although couples are becoming more equal, progress can still be made...
- childhood- summarise the debate between childhood improving and getting worse then flip with action by including the new sociology of childhood
- theories on the family- same idea as role of the family
- demography- more likely to be a 10 marker
- changing family patterns (divorce)- caused by the interaction between explanations (create a chain of how one links to the next) and/or summarise consensus vs conflict debate of explanations then flip with structure vs action (action theories focus on meaning individuals give to divorce...)
- family diversity- summarise structure vs action debate then summarise by saying interaction is best explanation (late modern or use Chester to show the only important change is the move to the neo-conventional family)
- families and social policy- summarise consensus vs conflict debate

beliefs (if you do the topic)
- social change- summarises structure vs action debate then use neo marxism to show how structure and action interact (religion can both cause and inhibit change)
- secularisation- depends on how religion is defined...
- globalisation- despite globalisation causing an increase in religiosity, this may be short lived and eventuallu, like in the west, globalisation will cause secularisation...
- sects, cults and NRMs- select a theory that you think is best at explaining sects, cults an NRMs
- ideology and science- we never did an essay on this but I would if you're ever unsure how to conclude an essay start by summarising the debate then try to apply core debates, particularly if not already mentioned in the esssay

crime and deviance:
- all will be usefulness questions so pick an explanation that combines multiple factors, or combines structure and action

theory and methods:
- research methods- same as methods in context
- sociology and science- depends on structure vs action viewpoint..
- objectivity and values- Weber's argument is most useful (links structure viewpoint and action viewpoint by showing different stages have to be more objective or use values more)
- structure theories- summarise consensus vs conflict debate then flip with using structure vs action to evaluate
- action theories- Giddens' theory is most theory (brings structure into action)
- globalisation, modernity and postmodernity- we're in late modernity...
- sociology and social policy- summarise influencing factors and consensus vs conflict debate

For some topics I couldn't completely remember how I concluded them but I hope this helps in some way
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh right thankss that was really helpful, also what general structure did you use to write your paragraphs?

we were taught to use PELE though generally you can adapt the structure to fit the essay and your own style
Point (hook will be in the item so apply)
Evidence (create analysis chains between different sociologists, statistics....)
Link back to the question
Evaluate the point

Could you share your essay plans?
Original post by Nudljoos
Could you share your essay plans?

Unfortunately I did them all on paper and recycled them once I got my results though I basically turned essays into a single page by using key words and symbols, and writing the AO in capitals as well as the topic of the paragraph in the margin
I have a few complete essays on my laptop though and, if you or anyone else would like, I could message a copy of these and if it helps I could message the details to access my quizlets?
Sorry I can't give you exactly what you wanted
It was about feminism and how it’s useful or not in our society
Reply 14
Unfortunately I did them all on paper and recycled them once I got my results though I basically turned essays into a single page by using key words and symbols, and writing the AO in capitals as well as the topic of the paragraph in the margin
I have a few complete essays on my laptop though and, if you or anyone else would like, I could message a copy of these and if it helps I could message the details to access my quizlets?

Could you message me these please? They would be really useful and honestly thank you so much for your help x
Could you message me these please? They would be really useful and honestly thank you so much for your help x

I tried messaging you but it told me that you have chosen not to receive private messages so I don't know if you could change that in your profile so I could send them?
Reply 16
I tried messaging you but it told me that you have chosen not to receive private messages so I don't know if you could change that in your profile so I could send them?

Hey I’ve changed it now, so I think it should hopefully work.
@SB1234567890
Hello, I have a BA (Hons) Sociology degree. There is some great advice on the board already which I would like to add too.

Your key areas to focus on are getting to learn perspectives such as functionalism, marxism, feminism, and interactionism. When you understand these keys these will unlock all of the topics you look at. These are usually the instruments you explore them with

A good overview of research methods will be essential for one of the papers - you might design your own study to help you remember the key points

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Hey, could you send it to me as well? I really appreciate your other replies as I am really struggling with sociology at the moment and would help me out a lot thank you!
Original post by gamze012
Hey, could you send it to me as well? I really appreciate your other replies as I am really struggling with sociology at the moment and would help me out a lot thank you!

I don't have the essay plans anymore to send but I will now send the essays and details to access the quizlets
Hope they help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending