The Student Room Group

Jury awards $10M to former exec who said he was fired because he is white male

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Starship Trooper
No I think communism is bad just not everything about it, nor is it the root of all our problems. You also have to distinguish between different kinds of commie regimes.

Because the modern conception of equality is basically a gateway drug to (liberal ) communism. You can largely thank Rawls (among many others) for that: he basically laid the theoretical conversion for liberalism to communism.

Not really. The modern concept of equality, at least in the UK, has existed for a good 4-5 decades but we are no where near to communism. If anything, our economy has become more capitalist over time.
Original post by SHallowvale
Not really. The modern concept of equality, at least in the UK, has existed for a good 4-5 decades but we are no where near to communism. If anything, our economy has become more capitalist over time.

But I'm talking about communism in a social sense not economically.

Eg when Lenin seized power a hundred years ago they immediately legalised homosexuality, abortion and no fault divorce.

And in the last 4 to 5 decades here we have seen the same thing where these things are mainstream and we are in fact even more communist.
This is a ridiculous settlement. White people can’t be victims of racism because racism is prejudice plus power. White people have institutional power, BAME people don’t, so even if a white person is fired because of their race, it isn’t racism and they shouldn’t receive any compensation.
Original post by Supercorbynite
This is a ridiculous settlement. White people can’t be victims of racism because racism is prejudice plus power. White people have institutional power, BAME people don’t, so even if a white person is fired because of their race, it isn’t racism and they shouldn’t receive any compensation.

How do white people have institutional power?
Reply 24
mmm i disagree that it's an interesting article. lols doesn't even tell us how or why the appellant won his case. does nbcnews not have a journalist who is experienced in reporting civil trials. or maybe the facts of the decision doesn't matter anymore so long as there's clickbait and the decision excites readers political identity cuz let's face it, most readers don't read too much into it.
Original post by Supercorbynite

This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. It is so dumb that I’m genuinely surprised you were able to navigate the sign-up process in order to post such stupidity in the first place.
Original post by Djtoodles
This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. It is so dumb that I’m genuinely surprised you were able to navigate the sign-up process in order to post such stupidity in the first place.

I do struggle to believe sometimes that people can genuinely convince themselves of such nonsense, but evidently, some are quite capable of it - even excel at it. :biggrin:
How do white people have institutional power?

Original post by Djtoodles

Original post by TCA2b
I do struggle to believe sometimes that people can genuinely convince themselves of such nonsense, but evidently, some are quite capable of it - even excel at it. :biggrin:

They're probably a troll. New accounts that write stuff like that usually serve only to bait people.
Reply 28
Original post by ThomH97
I said 'consider', not 'hire'. It would be good from both a company point of view to at least try to genuinely interview candidates who haven't been referred as a buddy by an existing employee, and from a wider society point of view.

Theres not really any meaningful difference between the words there. If you're putting peoples foot in the door simply by dint of their skin colour it is patently racist. Especially as the example you gave in comparison hardly ever occurs these days. Can you name any people you know who got their jobs from the old boys network?
Reply 29
"Equality of opportunity" is just backdoor communism

Original post by TCA2b
Agreed.

I guess that then makes you backdoor Nazis. :dontknow:
Original post by Ascend
I guess that then makes you backdoor Nazis. :dontknow:

Wait I thought you said we were the same as Antifa? Make your mind up man :tongue:
Reply 31
Wait I thought you said we were the same as Antifa? Make your mind up man :tongue:

Ironically, you do share the same cognitive distortion on this front (out of many in general - in fact, almost all of them) in your shared loathing of liberal democracy and rationality.

Far right: equal opportunity is commie
Far left: equal opportunity is fash
Original post by SHallowvale
They're probably a troll. New accounts that write stuff like that usually serve only to bait people.

I hope so, Id rather be trolled than someone that dumb be a real thing lol.
Original post by Ascend
Ironically, you do share the same cognitive distortion on this front (out of many in general - in fact, almost all of them) in your shared loathing of liberal democracy and rationality.

Far right: equal opportunity is commie
Far left: equal opportunity is fash

I don't loathe "rationality" PMSL. I just don't think Science has all the answers, e.g how to live a moral life etc.

Are you really saying that people who oppose liberal democracy are mentally unwell? :tongue:

Uh, yeah reactionaries and far left people might agree on some things (albeit usually for different reasons)... what a shocker.

So do the far left and centrists...

Centrist Liberals: High Immigration and Liberal Social Policy is good
Far Left: High Immigration and Liberal Social Policy is good
Original post by Napp
Theres not really any meaningful difference between the words there. If you're putting peoples foot in the door simply by dint of their skin colour it is patently racist. Especially as the example you gave in comparison hardly ever occurs these days. Can you name any people you know who got their jobs from the old boys network?

If you think that an 'unusual' candidate would be more likely to succeed at interview should they be considered alongside 'usual' candidates, then perhaps you agree with me that it is a good idea to deliberately consider such candidates? It doesn't need to be specifically due to skin colour or gender, but some variety is bound to be beneficial. It is more effort for HR to do so, of course, and a company can be stuck in a locally optimum comfort zone, so it can take government intervention. That intervention is generally justified by increasing opportunity available to everyone, which I agree with in principle. It can go too far, but I don't think having to consider a variety of candidates is at all too far.

At my company, I know several who have got the job (or left for another) primarily due to knowing someone. If you want someone famous then the House of Commons has a lot of examples.
Reply 35
Original post by ThomH97
If you think that an 'unusual' candidate would be more likely to succeed at interview should they be considered alongside 'usual' candidates, then perhaps you agree with me that it is a good idea to deliberately consider such candidates? It doesn't need to be specifically due to skin colour or gender, but some variety is bound to be beneficial. It is more effort for HR to do so, of course, and a company can be stuck in a locally optimum comfort zone, so it can take government intervention. That intervention is generally justified by increasing opportunity available to everyone, which I agree with in principle. It can go too far, but I don't think having to consider a variety of candidates is at all too far.

At my company, I know several who have got the job (or left for another) primarily due to knowing someone. If you want someone famous then the House of Commons has a lot of examples.

Im not sure what you mean by the first point?
Suffice it to say io believe no one should be given preferential treatment, ber it simply consideration or actively hiring, because they come from a so called marginalised community people should only be hired based on their competence and nothing else. Job hunting is a zero sum game and giving people an advantage because of some quirk of fate is absurd.
People should be considered only in that they put their cv on someones desk, as it were, nothing more. The way the civil service do it is relatively good in that they make you remove identifying traits from your resume so you dont know if theyre black, gay, white etc.

The long and the short of it is i dislike rascist or other bigoted hiring practices, whichever way the current flows.
Original post by Napp
Im not sure what you mean by the first point?
Suffice it to say io believe no one should be given preferential treatment, ber it simply consideration or actively hiring, because they come from a so called marginalised community people should only be hired based on their competence and nothing else. Job hunting is a zero sum game and giving people an advantage because of some quirk of fate is absurd.
People should be considered only in that they put their cv on someones desk, as it were, nothing more. The way the civil service do it is relatively good in that they make you remove identifying traits from your resume so you dont know if theyre black, gay, white etc.

The long and the short of it is i dislike rascist or other bigoted hiring practices, whichever way the current flows.

You said there isn't any meaningful difference between considering and hiring an unusual candidate, as if you would expect them to generally be the best option for hiring? That is how I understood what you said, though it seems now like you see any preferential treatment as unacceptable.

I can understand that point of view, and ideally that would be fine. But it is the case that if a workforce is dominated by people of a certain skin colour, gender, ethnicity etc, it can be off-putting or intimidating to those who aren't. If a company has to consider 'outsiders', then at the very least they have to work on their image to be more inviting.
Reply 37
Original post by ThomH97
You said there isn't any meaningful difference between considering and hiring an unusual candidate, as if you would expect them to generally be the best option for hiring? That is how I understood what you said, though it seems now like you see any preferential treatment as unacceptable.

I can understand that point of view, and ideally that would be fine. But it is the case that if a workforce is dominated by people of a certain skin colour, gender, ethnicity etc, it can be off-putting or intimidating to those who aren't. If a company has to consider 'outsiders', then at the very least they have to work on their image to be more inviting.

What exactly do we mean by 'unusual' here sorry? Are we talking about minorities or something else?
Indeed i do, i see that jobs should be given to the best candidate, not on some pointless box ticking exercise. Hiring someone based solely on race, gender, sex is by definition bigotry.

Given that Britain is a white country's the workforce will always be majority white though.. plus i see no particular benefit to hiring a minority simply because theyre a minority. If theyre the best candidate then brilliant, hire them by all means but it makes no sense to hire someone who isnt the best candidate simply to appease some stupid HR diktat on having 'diversity' for diversity's sake. It harms the company, it harms the candidates and at the end of the day, when thew racist hiring is shown to the public and company employees (after all, hiring someone because of their ethnicity is racist) will hardly reflect well on the person who got the job where theyre shown to be there for no other reason than they tick a box. They might well appreciate having a job but personally, if i were in that position , id find it grossly demeaning in that i had to rely on my supposed marginalisation to get a job and not on my skills.
Original post by Napp
What exactly do we mean by 'unusual' here sorry? Are we talking about minorities or something else?
Indeed i do, i see that jobs should be given to the best candidate, not on some pointless box ticking exercise. Hiring someone based solely on race, gender, sex is by definition bigotry.

Given that Britain is a white country's the workforce will always be majority white though.. plus i see no particular benefit to hiring a minority simply because theyre a minority. If theyre the best candidate then brilliant, hire them by all means but it makes no sense to hire someone who isnt the best candidate simply to appease some stupid HR diktat on having 'diversity' for diversity's sake. It harms the company, it harms the candidates and at the end of the day, when thew racist hiring is shown to the public and company employees (after all, hiring someone because of their ethnicity is racist) will hardly reflect well on the person who got the job where theyre shown to be there for no other reason than they tick a box. They might well appreciate having a job but personally, if i were in that position , id find it grossly demeaning in that i had to rely on my supposed marginalisation to get a job and not on my skills.

Well said. Prsom

Of course what this all means in practise is that if you are a white heterosexual man you are basically seen as at best expendable. As ever, it's not about bringing people up or helping anyone it's about dragging people down and then screaming racist if they dare complain about it

If you're white and think other people are more deserving of your job than you then by all means quit just don't try and drag the rest of us down with your weird ethno masochism cult.
Original post by Napp

Unusual could be a minority in society, or within their company, or within their applicants.

Why do you keep jumping to extremes? I'm sure you are aware that's grossly misrepresenting what I have said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending