Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    physicsmaths

How did you do STEP III 2015 Q6? IIRC you posted your solution earlier on but I wouldn't be able to find it.
    I regret not doing this question in the mock itself, it's great .
    The first part?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466533460.271987.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  168.4 KB
    I just bounded stuff nicely to get equality must hold when stuff happens. Last part did the same as MS and i rearranged using diff of cubes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    I don't know why it's been suggested but having just done IA, I can confirm you don't need to have done Vector Calculus to do Dynamics and Relativity. Considering Inertia Tensors and in VC rather than D&R these days, that suggestion doesn't make any sense

It's probably better to do D&R first (needs no background other than M1-3) and properly learn VC at Cambridge.
    If you say so. Certainly wasn't the case last time I looked at D&R but that was years ago so it could've changed. (Conceptually VC makes sense to learn first before D&R.)

EDIT: I actually meant Vectors & Matrices (although VC first still makes conceptual sense to me, as a pure mathmo - isn't that where you learn what \nabla is? How do you learn about electromagnetism or central forces properly without first knowing that?

The reason I say V&M is that in my experience, people don't find the theory in D&R difficult, it's actually manipulating expressions with enough fluency to get to a final result. (Well that and getting the equations of motion / CoE / Co angular momentum etc. To begin with but that's a problem with A-level mechanics too.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    The first part?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466533460.271987.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  168.4 KB
    I just bounded stuff nicely to get equality must hold when stuff happens. Last part did the same as MS and i rearranged using diff of cubes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah it was a very short Q tbh, first part one direction is done in one line with just w and z and then the other direction with w=a+bi, z=c+di (or x+yi as you did). Then same I used sum of cubes factorisation with wz=1/3 and the other stuff was easy.

I need to get better at choosing questions - actually more precise is that I need to get better at not judging questions so harshly by extremely small things. I kid you not I've dismissed so many Qs just because I saw an inequality symbol or a subscript lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Yeah it was a very short Q tbh, first part one direction is done in one line with just w and z and then the other direction with w=a+bi, z=c+di (or x+yi as you did). Then same I used sum of cubes factorisation with wz=1/3 and the other stuff was easy.

I need to get better at choosing questions - actually more precise is that I need to get better at not judging questions so harshly by extremely small things. I kid you not I've dismissed so many Qs just because I saw an inequality symbol or a subscript lol.
    Tbh in pure this year I will do anything other then polars stuff like Q3 2015 III.
    Luckily i can manage geomety which is a big advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    That's harsh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How does the removal of university student number caps affect acceptances/rejections by Cambridge? I was told that Cambridge can be now more flexible in their decisions, and since they would not be restricted by such caps, they would be now able to accept more people. Is this true?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Insight314)
    How does the removal of university student number caps affect acceptances/rejections by Cambridge? I was told that Cambridge can be now more flexible in their decisions, and since they would not be restricted by such caps, they would be now able to accept more people. Is this true?
    Dunno, but afaik the cap was to do with ABB places and below. So not very relevant for Cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    Tbh in pure this year I will do anything other then polars stuff like Q3 2015 III.
    Luckily i can manage geomety which is a big advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I like geometry but only the standard Euclidean geometry stuff, not vector geometry.
    I've even discovered that I like polar, which is good. Gonna try the conchoid of Nicomedes Q later, doing Q7 now.

As long as I can manage 5 Qs I will be happy. I'd love an S in this since I would've liked at least one S in my STEP papers given my mock results, but looks like it's not gonna happen. Hopefully will get a 1 though, 111 would be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Is the STEP III exam definitely at 2 pm UK time?

ReputationRep:
    Was 2014 easier than usual? The grade boundaries seemed average..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Is the STEP III exam definitely at 2 pm UK time?
    Yeh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    2pm? I thought it was 1:00? I guess we can start at 1:30 if it starts at 2pm though - isn't there some 30min leeway rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tridianprime)
    2pm? I thought it was 1:00? I guess we can start at 1:30 if it starts at 2pm though - isn't there some 30min leeway rule?
    What leeway rule? Technically you can probably sit at any time tmmrw since some internationals will take it later. My school starts exams at 2pm in afternoon so my exam will be at 2pm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by tridianprime)
    It does say 2pm on the website

https://support.admissionstestingser...-for-STEP-2016

also

(You are allowed to start any STEP paper up to 30 minutes before or after the published start time for your country, but you must inform us of your adjusted start time by completing the Timetable Variation request form).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishdesai7)
    I found it about 8 marks harder than average. I never do mechanics, so I wouldn't know if that was easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishdesai7)
    Harder then usual the grade boundaries suggested.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please could someone predict what a grade I is for STEP II 2016? Would it be lower than last year's 68 for a grade I?

Many thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by box036)
    Please could someone predict what a grade I is for STEP II 2016? Would it be lower than last year's 68 for a grade I?

Many thanks!!
    Consensus seems to be that it will be slightly higher, in the low 70's. No-one really knows though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just a quick question not sure if this is the right place but here i go: Can i still use adjustment if I get grades lower than my conditional for step 2 and 3 but i exceed in my a-levels?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by King Beast)
    Hey guys just a quick question not sure if this is the right place but here i go: Can i still use adjustment if I get grades lower than my conditional for step 2 and 3 but i exceed in my a-levels?
    Yes. But universities such as Cambridge and Imperial don't use Adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Beast)
    I think so (not sure why you'd want to though).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.