The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
I'm going to fail so hard. Please help me, I don't understand any of it.. :frown:
How do you know if you need a numerical answer or in terms of letter, it doesnt seem apparent and its so annoying
Hi, Very simple question, when do you know you have to split something into its components, e.g. the weight of a particle?

Thanks
Original post by metrize
How do you know if you need a numerical answer or in terms of letter, it doesnt seem apparent and its so annoying

Do you mean surd and decimals?
Original post by mani119
Do you mean surd and decimals?

Like T=3/5m for example
Original post by ryandaniels2015
Hi, Very simple question, when do you know you have to split something into its components, e.g. the weight of a particle?

Thanks

When it's acting at an angle so if the object was on a slope you'd split it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by metrize

Yeah I always get stuck on that as well I spend ages trying to work out a numerical answer and then the mark scheme has it in terms of a letter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flowerspace
When it's acting at an angle so if the object was on a slope you'd split it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks but what about this case, why would you split for the ring?

Actually mark scheme says you don't, why?

Thanks

I have no idea, I would split it for the string.
Maybe they are resolving it relative to the string not the ring that might make sense.
Do you have the mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually mark scheme says you don't, why?

Thanks

Ok yeah that makes sense
It's because it's not on a slope the rod is not at an angle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thx for the reply, why would you resolve the string?
Ok yeah that makes sense
It's because it's not on a slope the rod is not at an angle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiasne
I'm going to fail so hard. Please help me, I don't understand any of it.. :frown:

I feel you. I'm retaking M1 and just started t revising for it today. Vectors and graphs are the ony topic I can't comprehend and I really need 90%+ on it :frown:

You should try focusing on topics you do not understand first. Try watching these tutorials first, and then jump straight to question by topic booklet on Physics and Maths Tutor.

Original post by metrize

I usually don't give numerical answers unless the question is on kinematics or it asks for magnitude. Use letters if one of the info they give you (such as speed before collision, weight of a particle) is in letters.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thx for the reply, why would you resolve the string?

Does this diagram make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does this diagram make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I should have added the friction too, here

Posted from TSR Mobile
I should have added the friction too, here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes thanks very much, but it's not splitting that bothers me, it's when to do it?
Yes thanks very much, but it's not splitting that bothers me, it's when to do it?

Ok, do you have the answers for that question and then I'll see if I can do it and write out why I'm doing each step?

I've attached some pictures to try and explain it (i think)
Sorry I'm pretty bad at explaining things haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kkboyk
I feel you. I'm retaking M1 and just started t revising for it today. Vectors and graphs are the ony topic I can't comprehend and I really need 90%+ on it :frown:

You should try focusing on topics you do not understand first. Try watching these tutorials first, and then jump straight to question by topic booklet on Physics and Maths Tutor.

I usually don't give numerical answers unless the question is on kinematics or it asks for magnitude. Use letters if one of the info they give you (such as speed before collision, weight of a particle) is in letters.

Yeah I'm resitting too :frown: the vectors always get me but I feel like I'm getting them a bit more too. When ever the question is find the time when the ship will be due north of the other ship I could never get them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'm resitting too :frown: the vectors always get me but I feel like I'm getting them a bit more too. When ever the question is find the time when the ship will be due north of the other ship I could never get them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks the question was JUNE07 Q5, just want to know when u actually need to split components

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! I can never seem to get my head around it :cry2: The questions on M1 are worded in a confusing manner compared to M2 and above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending