Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by shamika)
    I'm pleased that (at least) two people looked at Q12. I'm guessing very few attempted it given that it introduces a university level concept, but if you get over the fact it's unfamiliar it is easy. I bet it was done by a handful correctly; most will have ignored it, or panicked and moved on.
    Its not really an unfamiliar style of question, I've seen quite a few of these 'you can use this result without proof in this question' questions. They are often inequalities, too

I think the problem is that people don't tend to even glance at the statistics section. Which is pretty understandable, I guess they assume that they don't stand a chance since they've not done lots of stats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Its not really an unfamiliar style of question, I've seen quite a few of these 'you can use this result without proof in this question' questions. They are often inequalities, too

I think the problem is that people don't tend to even glance at the statistics section. Which is pretty understandable, I guess they assume that they don't stand a chance since they've not done lots of stats
    No stats is just boring

(Original post by Insight314)
    It is very sided with Brexit, but it gives facts and statistics for almost every point. It is made very professionally, good quality and I really liked it. Definitely watch it.

I don't even glance at stats lol.

That feel when you haven't done any stats so you couldn't get all the bants from the paper.
    It does sound worth watching

lol I guessed people didn't - Siklos is eventually going to have to fill STEP with GCSE level statistics just to get people to give the stats section a go

I only learnt stats for STEP

ReputationRep:
    It does sound worth watching

lol I guessed people didn't - Siklos is eventually going to have to fill STEP with GCSE level statistics just to get people to give the stats section a go

I only learnt stats for STEP
    We need a referendum of removing Stats from STEP. Pure and mech can do it on their own.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Those stats enthusiasts, it's all banter chill.

No stats is just boring
    :unimpressed:

We need a referendum of removing Stats from STEP. Pure and mech can do it on their own.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Those stats enthusiasts, it's all banter chill.
    I hate how statistics (and maths in general actually) is taught at school (and, I hear, at University also), its like they just want to scare everyone away from it.

Still, can't really complain, if very few people take stats modules it'll make me more employable (and its already given me an advantage in STEP)

ReputationRep:
    :unimpressed:

I hate how statistics (and maths in general actually) is taught at school (and, I hear, at University also), its like they just want to scare everyone away from it.

Still, can't really complain, if very few people take stats it'll make me more employable
    I agree with you. I like looking at the bright side of not taking stats modules - I will at least experience probability in its fullest form in part IA.

ReputationRep:
    You sleep for 14 hours? :confused:
    if only

I agree with you. I like looking at the bright side of not taking stats modules - I will at least experience probability in its fullest form in part IA.
    Probability is probably more interesting than stats

ReputationRep:
    Probability is probably more interesting than stats
    What is the probability of probability being more interesting than stats?

ReputationRep:
    What is the probability of probability being more interesting than stats?
    Warwick first year probability is taught terribly and it was still more interesting than stats
    So approximately 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Warwick first year probability is taught terribly and it was still more interesting than stats
    So approximately 1
    Which one is stats, the one with those awful tables full of data?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm pleased that (at least) two people looked at Q12. I'm guessing very few attempted it given that it introduces a university level concept, but if you get over the fact it's unfamiliar it is easy. I bet it was done by a handful correctly; most will have ignored it, or panicked and moved on.
    I began it in the last ten minutes, I somehow managed to ignore it all exam and I only managed to bang out the first part and write down some poisson bs before I ran out of time

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by drandy76)
    Which one is stats, the one with those awful tables full of data?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probability is inferring a sample from the population.
    Statistics is inferring the population from a sample.

ReputationRep:
    Alexis Kaminski. Did you have her?
    No it's like we applied to different colleges lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    So approximately 1
    Going to Warwick in October, how are the problem sheets and such? Do you get many very challenging problems or is it mainly practising the stuff you've learnt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Going to Warwick in October, how are the problem sheets and such? Do you get many very challenging problems or is it mainly practising the stuff you've learnt?
    I wouldn't say most of them were particularly challenging in first year, but then most of the exams/modules weren't that challenging (overall anyway, there are some nasty questions). They take time and require thought and it is generally pretty stupid and ineffective to leave them really late, but they are nearly always doable. There are A, B and C questions; A are ones that on the whole are pretty easy and just for warm-ups, Bs are the assessed ones which need work but are still okay, Cs are unassessed and tend to be a bit harder (sometimes C questions or similar will come up on exams so they are worth doing as we all discovered in geometry and motion this year..) I often found, though this may simply be due to my lecture skipping habit, that I learnt the material through doing the assessments: I would necessarily read up on stuff in the lecture notes and then have to apply it in non-trivial ways and it made it stick fairly well.

(Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Most of the questions on the problem sheets are applications of what has been learned. The difficulty of them varies from module to module - personally, I felt they were relatively hard when I was in the first year.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with this (except if you are going to insist on starting early, do N&S. An easy introduction is given by Liebeck's book intro to pure maths). But you can get a high first without self studying in advance. Dabble if you really want, but definitely don't do it out of a mistaken belief you'll get left behind.
    You know you can still go to the N&S and D&R lectures right? (They're scheduled so that they don't overlap.) For mathmos I still suggest N&S over Groups because it's a foundational course designed to get you infused to rigorous mathematics with objects (numbers and sets) which you'll be familiar with. If you don't want to do N&S, how about V&M? It's another foundational course that follows on from FP3.

Groups is probably the hardest of the lot you can start with, hence me suggesting otherwise to raff. It's entirely doable to self study though. Whatever you decide, don't waste money on textbooks - get lecture notes instead. A few mathmos have beautiful notes on their blogs which I'm sure you can find with some googling (hopefully some of those in Cambridge now can link to some). Ill put some suggestions for books to look at if you really want some, once you've decided which course you're going to start with
    Aah yes. I'm trying to avoid N&S because a) I'm maths with physics, b) I'm just not to fond of it. I am really dabbling, as you nicely put it rather than really studying, because I've decided to lighten my workload and take a break after STEP. But V&M seemed rather interesting so I'm picking up a bit of that.

So I'm using Dr Stephen Cawley's 2010 notes primarily and Alan Beardon's Algebra and Geometry for reference for stuff I can't make head or tail of (since the schedule didn't have any daggered text book for V&M). Is there something you'd suggest would be nice material to begin with?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Next year's education headline:

"Teenagers flood Twitter with statements of relief after opening STEP III and finding Q12 is a stem and leaf question".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Next year's education headline:

"Teenagers flood Twitter with statements of relief after opening STEP III and finding Q12 is a stem and leaf question".
    I can't see how 500 candidates can flood Twitter but all right.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.