Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnesium)
    Next Wednesday!? So soon! Are you all prepared for it then?

Which one are you going to insure then out of those 4?

Yeah, It was only really Cambridge that made STEP compulsory and/or Imperial who make it compulsory if you don't do well enough in the MAT!
    Yep, next Wednesday! I've done as many practise papers as I can get my hands on, including the multiple choice section and the essay section. I've done all I could have done, so just need to rely on my ability and not freak out!

All the unis I've applied for require A*AA-AAA so none of them are particularly safe, but I think I got high enough UMS on my AS levels to only need a B or C to get an A overall, so one of the AAA unis would be my insurance.

Ah so it's not just Oxford that uses the MAT?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I noticed on Oxford's website that they only have statistics for 'college success rates' to 2013; I was wondering if anyone knows of any statistics for this which are a bit more recent? I'd been thinking of applying to St. John's, but I really like Christ Church and I worry they're going to be a very popular choice, however it's very hard to make many inferences from the 2013 statistics what 2016 stats might look like! - if it matters at all I'm applying for English.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 4170sre)
    Hi guys, I noticed on Oxford's website that they only have statistics for 'college success rates' to 2013; I was wondering if anyone knows of any statistics for this which are a bit more recent? I'd been thinking of applying to St. John's, but I really like Christ Church and I worry they're going to be a very popular choice, however it's very hard to make many inferences from the 2013 statistics what 2016 stats might look like! - if it matters at all I'm applying for English.
    More recent statistics aren't published yet but there's really no point getting worried about statistics. I wouldn't have thought there'd be any humongous changes since 2013 but of course there will be year-on-year variation so you're not going to be able to make accurate statistical predictions about your chances even if you had the 2015 data. Particularly if we're talking about by-subject college-specific admissions percentages, because of the small sample sizes, they will jump around. Just apply for the college you like the most, it doesn't affect your chance of getting into the university and if you end up being reallocated to another college you'll be happy there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnesium)
    Yeah, offers from Warwick aha
    Is it not a bit early, or am I getting confused lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Msachdeva789)
    GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AA
    IB: 45 (Predicted)
    Course: Computer Science and Philosophy
    College: Hertford College

Really hope that I get in.
    Got an offer from Warwick today, so hope the others go well too!
    Just got to kill the MAT!
    How come Warwick offers are coming in so early?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by skylake)
    How come Warwick offers are coming in so early?
    Because they work fast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaf)
    Yep I am! Trying to get PS done atm and hoping to apply to Somerville College. You?
    Ive submitted my form to the school but they haven't sent it off yet :'( but apparently the other places I have applied to all give out English offers late :'(

Im hoping to go to St Catherines- I haven't been to Somerville... is it a central college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skylake)
    Is it not a bit early, or am I getting confused lol
    Not really, depends how early your school processes your UCAS. Lot of people gave their UCAS forms to school almost 2-3 weeks ago now and my school approved it as soon as. A lot of people got their offers from Warwick within 24 hours of having gotten confirmation that Warwick have received their application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitchentowel1)
    Ive submitted my form to the school but they haven't sent it off yet :'( but apparently the other places I have applied to all give out English offers late :'(

Im hoping to go to St Catherines- I haven't been to Somerville... is it a central college?
    It is central but not right on the high street...I haven't actually been there but have been won over by the recommendation of a friend: also the professors' interests match my own!

Really? Where else have you applied...I'm curious now! I have gone for Durham, York, Edinburgh, Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm applying to do Law at Pembroke Super nervous and I think I'm sending off my application tomorrow. I'm also applying to Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol and Exeter. Anyone else applying for law?

Good luck to everyone here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranayounis)
    Hi everyone!

I'm applying to do Law at Pembroke Super nervous and I think I'm sending off my application tomorrow. I'm also applying to Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol and Exeter. Anyone else applying for law?

Good luck to everyone here!
    Yep I'm applying for Law too! My application was sent off last week to LSE, Bristol, Warwick, Oxford and Durham, so vaguely similar ones to you. I've applied to University College though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitchentowel1)
    Anyone applying for English?
    Yep!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Grades: 8A* 4A
    A-Levels achieved: A*A*A* (4A 1B at AS)
    Course: English Language and Literature
    College: Lincoln

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ylmdk)
    I will register to ielts if I get an offer, does it carry any weight in application?
    Not necessarily! I suppose if a college receives two applications from two international students with very similar grades, references & Co, they might be more declined to choose the one that has already taken and passed the IELTS. It reduces the risk of the student failing their offer in case they don't make the required grades.

Some universities might require you to actually have taken the IELTS and fulfilled the requirements prior to applying, so maybe you should check with them.

(@Bearbert I'm sure you did really well!I took mine in May, scored 9/8.5/7.5/8 in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking, 8.5 all in all.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveToArgue)
    Yep I'm applying for Law too! My application was sent off last week to LSE, Bristol, Warwick, Oxford and Durham, so vaguely similar ones to you. I've applied to University College though
    Oh University was the one I had been considering between with Pembroke but I decided to go with Pembroke when I went on one of the Open Days during the summer. I was also considering Durham but I do IB and I'm afraid of dropping points so I don't want to apply to everyone wanting 38+ so that's why I added Exeter in. Good luck to you though!

ReputationRep:
    Considering applying to oxford to study law but not sure if it's worth it with my grades, could someone please give me some advice?

GCSE: 6A* 4A

AS level: AABB (A in English and biology, Bs in chemistry and maths)

Predicted A level results: A*AA

I am lead to believe that my AS grades may not be good enough- any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellejennifer)
    Considering applying to oxford to study law but not sure if it's worth it with my grades, could someone please give me some advice?

GCSE: 6A* 4A

AS level: AABB (A in English and biology, Bs in chemistry and maths)

Predicted A level results: A*AA

I am lead to believe that my AS grades may not be good enough- any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    GCSEs are good. Your AS grades may be an issue. However, I can't say 100% either way as people can get offers with those grades. You're predicted grades that exceed the offer. Therefore I would say just apply if you want to. Nobody on TSR can say comprehensively whether you'd be successful or not so apply if you want to. If you choose to apply, best of luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    GCSEs are good. Your AS grades may be an issue. However, I can't say 100% either way as people can get offers with those grades. You're predicted grades that exceed the offer. Therefore I would say just apply if you want to. Nobody on TSR can say comprehensively whether you'd be successful or not so apply if you want to. If you choose to apply, best of luck with your application.
    Thank you:-)
    It shouldn't put me at a disadvantage for other unis if I apply to oxford and don't get in right?

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't put me at a disadvantage for other unis if I apply to oxford and don't get in right?
    No your other UCAS choices wouldn't know.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for it, it won't hurt to applybecause you never know . And I don't think it should be a disadvantage at all. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.