The Student Room Group

Should I meet or exceed entry requirements

Hi,
Im wanting to apply for Oxford Law (entry requirements AAA) and also Bristol Law (A*AA)
I feel like im going to be predicted A*AA
Should I push for the highest possible entry requirements I can to better my chances? Or should I just go with what I think I’ll get.
Original post by Chocolatebrown2
Hi,
Im wanting to apply for Oxford Law (entry requirements AAA) and also Bristol Law (A*AA)
Should I push for the highest possible entry requirements I can to better my chances? Or should I just go with what I think I’ll get.

It's not clear what you mean by "push for the highest possible entry requirements".

Are you asking whether you should apply to Oxford or Bristol? "Both" would seem to be a reasonable answer to that question.

Or are you asking whether you should put pressure on you school to increase your predicted grades in the hope that will increase the likelihood of an offer from either of these universities? Your school will a lot of experience of making grade predictions. You say that you "feel like im going to be predicted A*AA". Do those predictions seem accurate to you? If they don't, then you should have a conversation with your school. In the ideal world, you and they would have the same view as to your predicted grades.

The conventional wisdom is to apply to 1 or 2 universities which require above your predicted grades, 2 or 3 which require your predicted grades, and 1 or 2 who require below your predicted grades. Remember, you don't need 5 offers (you can only accept 2 anyway), so being a little aspirational with to where you apply is fine. However, you really don't want 5 rejections.
Reply 2
Original post by Chocolatebrown2
Hi,

70% of Oxford University Law applicant's with offers had A*A*A* or A*A*A predicted, so you should apply, but recognise the fact, they shortlist those with 3A* predicted and high LNAT scores more so than A*AA or AAA applicants. Also, less than 5% of applicants get offered interviews with AAA and 10% or so get offered interviews with A*AA predicted grades. So don't get your hopes up with Oxford, also remember they only shortlist about one third of applicants to interview in December.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending