The Student Room Group

Oxford application as a mature student

Has anyone had any experience applying to Oxford as a mature student? I will be 21 in November and will be applying this year for 2024 entry. I have BCC at A level. I'm also sitting an extra A level next year, hoping to get an A*/A. Just wondering if Oxford will even look at me with those grades or, as I will be classed as mature, whether they'll have a different approach?
Original post by Tuffers
Has anyone had any experience applying to Oxford as a mature student? I will be 21 in November and will be applying this year for 2024 entry. I have BCC at A level. I'm also sitting an extra A level next year, hoping to get an A*/A. Just wondering if Oxford will even look at me with those grades or, as I will be classed as mature, whether they'll have a different approach?

I know this isn't relevant to this thread but do Oxford and Cambridge pick people based on their looks meaning someone that they think is ugly won't get in or get treated well. If you watch videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuR_yuDqOXw you'll notice that all the girls are really pretty. Also I had an interview at Cambridge at 20 years old with retakes but that is a different university.
aim for the highest A level grades that you can and apply to Oxford :smile:
Your circumstances are unique in comparison to the typical undergraduate applicant at Oxford, and I think one of the most important thing about university applications is about being realistic. The competition at Oxford is extremely high.

I don't think your age is an issue, but having excellent grades is a prerequisite. Additionally, you also need to make sure you have strong leadership and extracurricular experience to maximise your chances.

On TSR spreadsheets, you can pretty much see what grades get offers at various universities, and universities like Oxford are very unforgiven in giving out interviews/offers to students with grades below the entry requirement. Of course, contextual circumstances are the exception.

Therefore, whilst its great to aspire to go to Oxford, try to be realistic and "spread your bets" in your application. However, if you want to go to an elite university, you should focus on getting the highest grades possible to give yourself the best possible chance and do research on other experience the university/course department considers highly.

Good luck!
Original post by Tuffers

If being 19 and on a gap year counts me as a mature student, then yes. I was also successful in my endeavour and will be starting in October.

Have a look at the entry requirements for the course you are interested in and consider resitting at least two of your other A levels. Afaik, the lowest set of entry requirements (excluding courses offering foundation years) are AAA and even then, those applying to said courses with AAA often aren’t the ones to get the offers for those courses.

I would suggest looking to see if Oxford has published an admissions criteria for the course you want to apply to and see if you can strengthen your application in ways that involve gaining any mentioned skills you feel you lack on the admissions criteria. Perhaps then, put a mention of this on your personal statement and explain how it has made you a better student.

Other things worth doing for the time being include preparing for entrance exams (if any - these will be listed on the Oxford website for whichever course you are applying to) and making sure you arrange either practice interviews or critical discussions about certain aspects of the subject you are applying to, so as to get used to thinking out loud.
Reply 5
Original post by TypicalNerd
If being 19 and on a gap year counts me as a mature student, then yes. I was also successful in my endeavour and will be starting in October.

Have a look at the entry requirements for the course you are interested in and consider resitting at least two of your other A levels. Afaik, the lowest set of entry requirements (excluding courses offering foundation years) are AAA and even then, those applying to said courses with AAA often aren’t the ones to get the offers for those courses.

I would suggest looking to see if Oxford has published an admissions criteria for the course you want to apply to and see if you can strengthen your application in ways that involve gaining any mentioned skills you feel you lack on the admissions criteria. Perhaps then, put a mention of this on your personal statement and explain how it has made you a better student.

Other things worth doing for the time being include preparing for entrance exams (if any - these will be listed on the Oxford website for whichever course you are applying to) and making sure you arrange either practice interviews or critical discussions about certain aspects of the subject you are applying to, so as to get used to thinking out loud.

Thank you for your reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending