The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abdul-Karim
No worries, I'm always lurking on the economics study help forum to lend a helping hand :biggrin:

Make sure you know how to answer the 25 markers properly for the highest marks, that's the question people lose out on. I made a thread a while back actually to help AS students. Keep it in a tab somewhere because tbh, this is priceless information. I managed to get 100 UMS on my unit 2.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2641741

Aha! omg I'm buzzing.
I think I will copy+paste the OP because it will definitely help me with exam practice!

Also do you recommend any good AS revision books.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats
What is your exam board? I am doing psychology too with AQA. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA Spec A:colone::colone: are you doing Spec A?
I reallyy need an A in A2 and an A in Unit 1 which am retaking. My timojilac teacher at colly keeps telling me its impossible.:angry: nearly ALL timojilacs ive encountered have put me down and tried to discourage me :rolleyes:
Original post by missfats
Aha! omg I'm buzzing.
I think I will copy+paste the OP because it will definitely help me with exam practice!

Also do you recommend any good AS revision books.
Posted from TSR Mobile

The standard one is fairly sufficient.

Also these ones:

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781444148244?redirected=true&viewCountry=UK&selectCurrency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAjw1ZWgBRD-n6ew0oan1xwSJABAbf8pW8y1XtUUzOsYHuNlnIxxl9U13KNLqtVVgXE8PICjHRoCbCjw_wcBThe

They're like recap books which are pretty useful.
Original post by Biryani007
So lucky mashaaA!
Did you move there for a reason or?..

My dad was offered a good job here.
What does warya mean?
It means "boy"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elm Tree
What does warya mean?

Original post by Elm Tree
What does warya mean?

It just means "oi you" but you say it to males. The female equivalent is nayaa. Don't say this to somali girls if you value your life :colone:
Original post by MathsAddict
Well, said i really couldn't care less about qabils. I see a huge economic market in Somalia everyone can benefit from. Literally no infrastructure.

Yup but according to some family who visited this summer, a lot of things are controlled by thieves. For example, my aunt said all the pasta and rice had reached their sell by date but that was the only thing available so they had no choice but to buy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Canttellyou
Yup but according to some family who visited this summer, a lot of things are controlled by thieves. For example, my aunt said all the pasta and rice had reached their sell by date but that was the only thing available so they had no choice but to buy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have never heard of that. Its because Law and Order is minimal, the army and police are too busy patrolling qabil borders. These old men in power need to step down.
Original post by MathsAddict
I have never heard of that. Its because Law and Order is minimal, the army and police are too busy patrolling qabil borders. These old men in power need to step down.

Ikr there's a reason in the western world that they are always looking for 'fresh young minds'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
It just means "oi you" but you say it to males. The female equivalent is nayaa. Don't say this to somali girls if you value your life :colone:

I'm definitely going to say nayaa to you girls :lol:
Original post by Biryani007
I'm definitely going to say nayaa to you girls :lol:

Lool it doesn't bother me that much but i know some girls who get pissed off when you call them naya (it makes me want to call them that all the time just to piss them off further :teehee: :giggle: )
Making a video but I'm unsure about the editing. What's your thoughts on what I have so far? Thanks in advance.

[video="youtube_share;NeNbyyhJiTU"]http://youtu.be/NeNbyyhJiTU?list=UURrUWdBJ72wqKq 2ZmoA85mg[/video]

This what happens when you're unemployed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Insha'Allah. Have you gone with anything this year?

I've filled in the rare application quite recently so I don't know what they're going to say. I'm not going declare to the other that I'm with one. This year I was with the Brokerage and SEO and nothing was said to me. They're both development programmes so I don't see why they would care much if external assistance was given.

Havent actually attended anything apart from that Morgan Stanley insight day and a short Amplify Trading course.
I've also applied to upcoming Credit Suisse insight day that you were talking about too. But as for SW, i haven't got down to actually completing applications. Im still doing research but i've decided i'll be going for S&T.

Also, i got accepted into Rare today a few hours ago. So i'll have to see how they can help out with the application process in terms of fast tracking. Got a meeting with them later on in the month, so i'll then find out exactly how they can benefit me.

Im still waiting on a reply from SEO careers, yet to hear back from them but they say it can take up to 8 weeks lol..:s-smilie:
Original post by Hazard17
Havent actually attended anything apart from that Morgan Stanley insight day and a short Amplify Trading course.
I've also applied to upcoming Credit Suisse insight day that you were talking about too. But as for SW, i haven't got down to actually completing applications. Im still doing research but i've decided i'll be going for S&T.

Also, i got accepted into Rare today a few hours ago. So i'll have to see how they can help out with the application process in terms of fast tracking. Got a meeting with them later on in the month, so i'll then find out exactly how they can benefit me.

Im still waiting on a reply from SEO careers, yet to hear back from them but they say it can take up to 8 weeks lol..:s-smilie:

Going to go through the verbal and numerical reasoning tests to make sure I'm solid on those before I start my applications. Have a pre-sessional maths course starting on the 10th so most probably start applying to SW after that. I'll be going for S&T too, I suppose. I might look into (equity) research as that's pretty interesting too.

Nice, I only applied to Rare yesterday so hopefully they reply soonish. Sources tell me they're pretty good. Do you think Rare is more competitive than SEO?
Original post by Secretnerd123
Lool it doesn't bother me that much but i know some girls who get pissed off when you call them naya (it makes me want to call them that all the time just to piss them off further :teehee: :giggle: )

Hmmm I wonder if this is some form of reverse psychology to make me not want to call you nayaa...kidding :biggrin:
Do guys mind if you call them warya? Wbout xalimo? :mmm:
Going to go through the verbal and numerical reasoning tests to make sure I'm solid on those before I start my applications. Have a pre-sessional maths course starting on the 10th so most probably start applying to SW after that. I'll be going for S&T too, I suppose. I might look into (equity) research as that's pretty interesting too.

Nice, I only applied to Rare yesterday so hopefully they reply soonish. Sources tell me they're pretty good. Do you think Rare is more competitive than SEO?

Yeah the online tests are going to be a hassle. I'll make sure i know the division inside out as well as the banks im applying to, then i'll start doing some test practice. Will you be applying to GS and JP's SW programme aimed especially at those looking to go into S&T then. Its the "eat what you kill" atmosphere with trading which attracts me, getting the huge bonuses when you do well. M&A is also extremely tempting, but it's probably the most soul-sucking division in IB. Needs less brain power too, it seems like its more about being that guy who is available 24/7 and puts his heart and soul into his job. Much more practical, interacting with clients and constantly coming with the "pitch book". More fun but also more demanding.

Also, i applied to Rare on Saturday so i don't think you'll have to wait too long now. From what i've found out today Rare seems to be more competitive than SEO since the entry req for Rare are AAA whereas SEO is ABB. But Rare will ensure you get an interview, they'll literally go out of their way so that you get one. SEO has more students, as to be expected with the lower entry req, but it seems to be better for interview preparation and helping to mould you into a better candidate which helps once you've actually been called up for an interview.
Original post by Hazard17
Yeah the online tests are going to be a hassle. I'll make sure i know the division inside out as well as the banks im applying to, then i'll start doing some test practice. Will you be applying to GS and JP's SW programme aimed especially at those looking to go into S&T then. Its the "eat what you kill" atmosphere with trading which attracts me, getting the huge bonuses when you do well. M&A is also extremely tempting, but it's probably the most soul-sucking division in IB. Needs less brain power too, it seems like its more about being that guy who is available 24/7 and puts his heart and soul into his job. Much more practical, interacting with clients and constantly coming with the "pitch book". More fun but also more demanding.

Also, i applied to Rare on Saturday so i don't think you'll have to wait too long now. From what i've found out today Rare seems to be more competitive than SEO since the entry req for Rare are AAA whereas SEO is ABB. But Rare will ensure you get an interview, they'll literally go out of their way so that you get one. SEO has more students, as to be expected with the lower entry req, but it seems to be better for interview preparation and helping to mould you into a better candidate which helps once you've actually been called up for an interview.

Those 18 hour work days are not for me. I agree IBD is more practical/hands on but the hours are not the way forward. I've seen these heartless/soul destroyed bankers lmao. Trading is no better tbh, staring at a screen constantly from 7am to 7pm, but I suppose it's the thrill seeking environment. Yeah researching the company is immensely important, to show an active interest.

I'll apply to everywhere that's available. Given the stiff competition, we're in no position to be selective. Although, I'll spend a good amount of time on each application, I'll formulate some sort of schedule to balance it with uni work. I may not even be applying this year, as if you do a 4 year course, you'll apply in your second year. I'll have to wait and see. I'll ask some uni staff regarding a year in industry because I'm pretty sure the place I interned this summer would take me back, if I just asked my manager.

Rare gave the feeling that it only accepted target university students so I'm really not sure whether I stand a chance with them. SEO did me well last year, so I hope I get onto their fast track programme for this year. I've already been confirmed with Bright Network & Brokerage and have some career/networking events coming up over the course of this month and next month.
I wanna know what all these words mean, such as Rare, SEO etc. It sounds exciting.
Original post by Chukkeigh
I wanna know what all these words mean, such as Rare, SEO etc. It sounds exciting.

Investment banking/economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest