The Student Room Group

Switching from BA to MSci

Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to switch from BA to MSci in the Natural Sciences Tripos after being admitted to the programme.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to switch from BA to MSci in the Natural Sciences Tripos after being admitted to the programme.

I'm not sure there is any other way, ie you can't apply from the outset. If you Google, it seems that the MSci is treated like what Cam calls Part III. Conventionally, Part III courses have required a separate application, much like a Masters degree, because entry depends on your Part 1 and Part II grades. There have been a few changes in recent years, but I think this is the case for NatSci. Look here https://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/students/fourth

Not sure we have an active undergrad NatSci using TSR at the moment, so can't think of anyone to tag, sorry.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
I'm not sure there is any other way, ie you can't apply from the outset. If you Google, it seems that the MSci is treated like what Cam calls Part III. Conventionally, Part III courses have required a separate application, much like a Masters degree, because entry depends on your Part 1 and Part II grades. There have been a few changes in recent years, but I think this is the case for NatSci. Look here https://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/students/fourth

Not sure we have an active undergrad NatSci using TSR at the moment, so can't think of anyone to tag, sorry.

Thanks, I guess you're right that it doesn't really matter whether I choose the BA or MSci course when submitting UCAS. I would appreciate it if you could give more information when you get them (though I don't even have an offer yet, the results come out on Jan 24).
As above I gather that's normally arranged once you start as some part III courses gave capped numbers (e.g. HSPS, the bioscience ones).

I think most of the physical science part iii courses normally allow anyone who meets the requirements to progress (or if they do have capped numbers e.g. chemistry I think in recent years they've never come close to reaching the cap anyway).

There are some timelines involved I think and hard limits (once you officially graduate and receive the BA you can't swap, which can be a factor if Part III progression is contingent on Part II results, so for the relevant cases I think they advise students to do a winter graduation instead in case?), but presumably your DoS or personal tutor would inform you?

@Theloniouss I think might be able to advise more on the internal processes...?
Original post by artful_lounger
As above I gather that's normally arranged once you start as some part III courses gave capped numbers (e.g. HSPS, the bioscience ones).

I think most of the physical science part iii courses normally allow anyone who meets the requirements to progress (or if they do have capped numbers e.g. chemistry I think in recent years they've never come close to reaching the cap anyway).

There are some timelines involved I think and hard limits (once you officially graduate and receive the BA you can't swap, which can be a factor if Part III progression is contingent on Part II results, so for the relevant cases I think they advise students to do a winter graduation instead in case?), but presumably your DoS or personal tutor would inform you?

@Theloniouss I think might be able to advise more on the internal processes...?

@threeportdrift has got it all right. The link above (https://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/students/fourth) is pretty much all I've been given as a third year. Which MSci you can take will depend on your results and choices in third year, and you apply towards the end of 2nd or 3rd term of your third year (Details in the link). Each department offering a part III has their own process for considering applications.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Thanks everybody, I now received an offer and it says the same stuff as you guys told me here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending