Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    Production Possibility Fronteir... Oh the days :P

It shows the maximum optimal output of the economy, given under the assumption that all the variable inputting factors are operating at maximum efficiency. This relates to the Factors of Production (Land, Labour, Capital & Enterprise).

The PPF = LRAS essentially, showing the maximum possible output a company is able to produce at.

Because the PPF shows the maximum, let's take two variables to simplify what it's trying to show.

Let's assume an entire economy only produces motorbikes and cars. We can associate the X axis with Cars and the Y axis with motorbikes. Now the PPF is showing what the economy can produce with all its factors of production employed.. thus we can assume, if we are to produce at Point C on the curve we will produce C1 cars and C2 motorbikes, as illustrated.

Now.. if an economy realises there's more money to be made by producing motorbikes, they may decide to distribute the available factors of production towards motorbike manufacturing. This is illustrated by the movement from C->B on the curve. Thus an economy will now only produce B1 amount of cars but B2 amount of motorbikes. I think by now you understand the foundational concept.

To produce more of one thing, you have to give up the other if all factors are operating at their maximum efficiency. This shows an opportunity cost, as whoever runs this particular economy would have to make a decision as to whether to maintain production at current levels or produce more of one thing in sacrifice of another.

It resembles scarcity in the fact that there's limited input. There are only a finite number of resources (factors of production: Land, Labour, Capital, Enterprise) in which to work with. So allocating those resources efficiently is vital to the success of an economy.

The trade-off in this instance would be.. should we manufacture more cars? more motorbikes? or maintain current levels?

If you want I can briefly explain how the PPF can shift out, as we just talked about movement along the curves for your question.

If there's anything more you require explaining, don't hesititate to hit me up
    Yaaaaaas! Omg I am buzzing! I actually do understand it now properly!! Thank you so much kar!

I just love economics so far! So interesting.

I would definitely make sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    Yaaaaaas! Omg I am buzzing! I actually do understand it now properly!! Thank you so much kar!

I just love economics so far! So interesting.

I would definitely make sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Glad to be of service

It's an amazing subject, you'll love it.

ReputationRep:
    Glad to be of service

It's an amazing subject, you'll love it.
    Aha yep! Do you have any notes on AS?

Can you please tell me the best revision websites!
    I know tutor2u.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    Aha yep! Do you have any notes on AS?

Can you please tell me the best revision websites!
    I know tutor2u.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Watch PajHolden's videos on Youtube and Economicshelp online is pretty useful. I don't have any AS notes, although I have a fair few for A2.

ReputationRep:
    Watch PajHolden's videos on Youtube and Economicshelp online is pretty useful. I don't have any AS notes, although I have a fair few for A2.
    Username change?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Watching him now.

I like him

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How is there 100 people on my course but only 3 guys :lol:
    Didn't know psychology was so female dominated haha

Joined a somali soc and a few other socs. Woop woop

ReputationRep:
    University is hella over rated.
    Yeah freshers is too overrated.

Dont like your new name change btw. You should've chosen something witty

ReputationRep:
    How'd you get your name changed? I kinda want to get mine changed too.

ReputationRep:
    How did i spend 100 pounds for only 6 items please? Urgh and I stil havent got everything. >.<. Hows everyone been doing?

Enrolling Uni in two days and trying to buy everything last minute. Today was in town for over 6 hours. And going back again tomorrow. Who knew starting Uni would be stressful.

Cant wait to get this over and done with and just start it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeavyTeddy)
    You cant unless your current username is your actual name lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    You cant unless your current username is your actual name lol
    Well that's annoying. I wanted to get it changed because most of my friends know my username (it's my PSN), so it's fairly easy for them to recognise me on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aniga)
    Not too bad. And yourself?
    Good alhamdulilah just watched British Bake Off lool I enjoy that show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnimeCrazy)
    How did i spend 100 pounds for only 6 items please? Urgh and I stil havent got everything. >.<. Hows everyone been doing?

Enrolling Uni in two days and trying to buy everything last minute. Today was in town for over 6 hours. And going back again tomorrow. Who knew starting Uni would be stressful.

Cant wait to get this over and done with and just start it.

Lol I hate shopping, wow you spent a lot of money. All I need is probably some notepads and that's it lool I defos will not be spending anywhere near as that.

Good luck for you ntu enrolment in sha allah you have fun hun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMystryXxX)
    In Sha Allah hun Aww I have not even started yet, so I have no clue how it will be like.
    How many socs are you thinking of joining m'love?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusSeizure)
    Username change?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, because of the field I want to go into, too many people know who I am at events and I don't want HR finding my online mishaps when applying for things.

(Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Yeah freshers is too overrated.

Dont like your new name change btw. You should've chosen something witty
    Lool, I'm not a very creative person.

(Original post by HeavyTeddy)
    Met a mod at a networking careers fair a couple of days ago and asked him to change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMystryXxX)
    Lol I hate shopping, wow you spent a lot of money. All I need is probably some notepads and that's it lool I defos will not be spending anywhere near as that.

Good luck for you ntu enrolment in sha allah you have fun hun

I HATE shopping as well, but i just want to get everything over and done with Got some notepads and pen. Just need to order my laptop now and a bag. I've been working these past two weeks and havent brought any new clothes for the last two years :P I thought this would be the perfect time to splash the money

AW thanks babe, I hope I have fun too >.<

When do you start boo?

ReputationRep:
    Is that AK? How did ya find uni SN?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aniga)
    Hi everybadyyyyy i'm new here (or am I) so welcome me.
    Salaaaaaaaam Ahmed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chukkeigh)
    Is that AK? How did ya find uni SN?
    It is I.. but I go by a different name now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.