The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3860
Original post by Fang_RedDragon
Its on the college website under 'coping with exams' or something like that. I found it a rather unnerving and tactless thing to write! :smile:

"Nervous? Don't be! We have drugs!"

Maybe they had a spate of people dealing with stress in less healthy ways; sleeping pills are not a bad thing if they're instead of people taking drugs or feeling suicidal. And the college handbook is for everyone, not just freshers.
Stilllllll haven't heard about the OOB. I guess I'll send an e-mail next week. Blah.
Whoa whoa whoa carefull! Each survey is individually tied to the person it is sent to! You put in numbers and it matches it to your name. Its not a general survey! If you had put in your UMS results, they would have come up as qwertyuiop1993's personal results. Eeek.

Thanks. I actually have the email myself now. I don't think I can find my UMSs anyway.
Finally got the OOB letter on SFE.

Yay!
Got my suit today :biggrin:

Felt well posh innit.
Original post by dbmag9
Clothes are about functionality and appearance. The whole of fashion is based around wearing not just what you like the appearance of but what projects whatever image it is you want to project, and life is about striking that balance. /musing

Your first paragraph kinda clashes with "embarassed to go to Oxford", though. What's embarassing about going to a great uni?

It's not such an interesting story really.

I do like musing about clothing though. It's hard trying to say one thing and do another. I say I don't care if people look at me wearing an Oxford hoodie and see a tourist or a show-off, but since I am neither of those things, of course it does bother me and I edit how I clothe myself accordingly... Clothing causes a massive conundrum! On a less thoughtful level, I genuinely just don't like the college hoodies. I don't like the tiny crest, its placement or the navy colour.
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Our freshers' t-shirts are £11, and we had to pre-order ... I haven't bought one!

I'm going to buy a scarf instead :colondollar:

Apparently ours are 'kindly provided by our freshers week sponsors, Clifford Chance'

Clearly someone at the College has a parent high up in the law firm :tongue:
Original post by The Anti-Hero
Out of interest, is anybody going to be buying college hoodies/t-shirts, or is that a total faux pas?

I'm probably going to get a Magdalen scarf, but otherwise, no - I don't wear hoodies, though I may get a t-shirt for scruff. College stuff only.
I don't think Teddy Hall even has Freshers' shirts.
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Ours are made of organic cotton or something, so maybe that's why we have to pay so much for them ...

Hand-woven by eco-minded Tibetan monks using only their left hand?
So how much stuff are you guys taking?? I think, no I know I am bringing too much!! A week and a few days left now :smile:
Original post by Comet Andromeda
So how much stuff are you guys taking?? I think, no I know I am bringing too much!! A week and a few days left now :smile:

I'm bringing two cars (so we can fit the bike in) and intend to fill them quite effectively!
Christ Church's freshers' t-shirts are £7. I've ordered that and the college hoody, so I'm hoping it's not a social faux pas! :biggrin:
I think I'm going to get my parents to buy me the college scarf at Christmas..
Original post by brendan.
Christ Church's freshers' t-shirts are £7. I've ordered that and the college hoody, so I'm hoping it's not a social faux pas! :biggrin:
I think I'm going to get my parents to buy me the college scarf at Christmas..

Do you know where you can order college T-shirts or do you have to order from your own college because I haven't heard anything from mine about t-shirts :frown:
Original post by Comet Andromeda
Do you know where you can order college T-shirts or do you have to order from your own college because I haven't heard anything from mine about t-shirts :frown:

I think it's specifically through your college. The ones that we were offered say 'IN DA HOUSE' on the back, so they're not exactly official Oxford ones. :P
Sorry!
Original post by billieerin23
I'm bringing two cars (so we can fit the bike in) and intend to fill them quite effectively!

I'm only bringing one, but I am leaving my sister at home so that I can fit more things in the car :colondollar:

I'm only kind of joking. She doesn't want to come because she doesn't want to miss a day of school :confused: how quickly she'll learn, oh naive year 9 that she is :rolleyes:
Its on the college website under 'coping with exams' or something like that. I found it a rather unnerving and tactless thing to write! :smile:

"Nervous? Don't be! We have drugs!"

Original post by dbmag9
Maybe they had a spate of people dealing with stress in less healthy ways; sleeping pills are not a bad thing if they're instead of people taking drugs or feeling suicidal. And the college handbook is for everyone, not just freshers.

They do tell you very heavily in the run up to exams that sleeping pills/proplus are NOT recommended, so it's not like they dish them out willy-nilly. But they are aware of the kind of stress that people are under and the very fact they give out that advice shows that people have resorted to it in the past. As someone who has been through Oxford exams once already, I can see why :colondollar: Better to advise, contain and control.
Original post by flywithemma
I'm only bringing one, but I am leaving my sister at home so that I can fit more things in the car :colondollar:

I'm only kind of joking. She doesn't want to come because she doesn't want to miss a day of school :confused: how quickly she'll learn, oh naive year 9 that she is :rolleyes:

Snap! This is the exact case for me too! My sister is also in year 9 and doesn't want to miss school! Have they suddenly made school more fun or something because I would have jumped at the chance to miss a day of school back then...
Oh well, my cousin will have to do!
Original post by Incarnadine91
Better to advise, contain and control.

Good point.
So. Reading list wise. I've seen quite a few mathematicians/scientists talking about finished problem sheets, but has anyone actually finished a reading list?? And if not, how are you feeling? Confident that you've done enough, or are you panic reading through this last week??

Personally...panic reading. But also i'm having to work out what I know about each author which is terrifyingly little!!!:s-smilie: how's everyone getting on?

English at Lincoln by the way.
:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending