The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Official Open University freshers 2023 chat

Hello and welcome to all the Open University Freshers of 2023! :hello:

You made it through your exams, results day has been and gone, and now you finally know where you’ll be headed in just a few weeks! :thumbsup:

This is a place where you can introduce yourself, meet other students who’ll be joining you at university, and make a few friends even before you arrive! :yeah:

So to kick off, why not introduce yourself with:
What course you’ll be studying
What you like doing in your spare time
What you’re most looking forward to about studying at Open University

Only share as much information as you wish.
In this forum, you can post anonymously if you tick the box at the bottom. :smile:

Finally, a few useful threads you might want to take a look at to help you prepare:
Remember to update your student finance application - The Student Room

Good luck everyone and a massive WELL DONE for everything you have achieved!

Scroll to see replies

I thought open uni doesn't do freshers events?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
They have an entire Freshers Fortnight :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
I thought open uni doesn't do freshers events?

We meant freshers as in our brand new first year students :smile:
Original post by Evil Homer

I'm studying BSc Computing. I've chosen TM111 and MST124 to start off with.

I like to read in my spare time and occasionally code for fun.

I'm mainly looking forward to the personal development that studying towards a degree will bring me. I'm not that bothered about the lack of social interaction at OU but I have joined some study groups for my course so won't be completely alone.
Hi everyone! I’m studying languages (French and Spanish). I love learning languages which is why I chose to study languages. I’m looking forward to learning from home at a time that suits me :smile:
Hi everyone! I’m studying languages (French and Spanish). I love learning languages which is why I chose to study languages. I’m looking forward to learning from home at a time that suits me :smile:

Hi there! :smile:
Hey would anyone like to make a discord together just so we can chat on there?
Hey would anyone like to make a discord together just so we can chat on there?

What course are you studying?
Sorry ignore me thought you were a different anonymous
French and Spanish I posted yesterday :smile:
French and Spanish I posted yesterday :smile:

If you create a new thread you might find other people studying a similar course to you
As my hnc course got cancelled due to lack of students i was looking into open university, its flexible enough to do part time, but google reviews and putting me off to wait 1 more year. I have short time to decide.
Anyone to help me decide...
Original post by polltegrais
As my hnc course got cancelled due to lack of students i was looking into open university, its flexible enough to do part time, but google reviews and putting me off to wait 1 more year. I have short time to decide.
Anyone to help me decide...

You could apply for Feb 2024 start so you have time to decide? You don't have to apply for October start

What course were you thinking of doing?
Original post by Evil Homer
Hello and welcome to all the Open University Freshers of 2023! :hello:

You made it through your exams, results day has been and gone, and now you finally know where you’ll be headed in just a few weeks! :thumbsup:

This is a place where you can introduce yourself, meet other students who’ll be joining you at university, and make a few friends even before you arrive! :yeah:

Only share as much information as you wish.
In this forum, you can post anonymously if you tick the box at the bottom. :smile:

Finally, a few useful threads you might want to take a look at to help you prepare:
Remember to update your student finance application - The Student Room

Good luck everyone and a massive WELL DONE for everything you have achieved!

Anyone studying law with the Open university?? I’m starting soon
I'm a mature and returning student. I last attempted the OU between 2009 and 2011 studying Law but had to stop when the needs of my children (two of the three have an ASD), became too much to combine with my studies and my results started to suffer.

This time I am doing an Open degree, I have been able to bring some credits forward but it does mean I have to complete the whole thing by July 2026 before more credits start to time out, had I got my bum into gear and not procrastinated, there would have been a whole lot more credits that could have been taken into account (all of first year equivalent, some of second year equivalent).

I'm enrolled in D110 and E104 to start with and the degree will follow a similar path but with a law course of two thrown in along the way so that it balances with the credits being brought forward.

Not only am I a mature student but I am also a disabled one, the DSA process has been an interesting (and at times frustrating) process but I think we are almost at the finish line with that. Not that I am a stranger to the Student finance/DSA process, all three of my boys went to university and two of them also had DSA support.

I go between feeling overwhelmed and wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew and being excited and positive. My brain is not what it was (one of the reasons for the wheelchair) but having spent the last 18 months doing online courses via Open Learn and other providers, it appears there is still some residue of intelligent working in it, probably helped by having to be the checker and advisor to my children's university assignments and dissertations, although my teacher like scribbles and corrections did not always go down so well.

In my spare time I am the owner, main administrator and site builder of a sporting live results website and have been for the last 18 years, I didn't know the first thing about computers really when I got into it completely by accident (I didn't even know how to copy and paste) but I'm a true believer in the "What does this button do?" approach and if it doesn't work, switch it off, swear a little at it and switch it back on again and if that doesn't work, do some research and work out how to do it.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Allierebel
Anyone studying law with the Open university?? I’m starting soon

Hi, I'm doing a Diploma in Law, Criminal Law and the Courts starting part time in October. Nervous but after having read around the Open University website and reducing my Student Home page to a mobile view by accident (which I haven't figured out how to get back to the correct screen size yet) am feeling a little more relaxed now after finding someone here with which we can both hopefully support each other. (If I figure out how to get back to this page)
Reply 17
I'm studying BSc Computing. I've chosen TM111 and MST124 to start off with.

I like to read in my spare time and occasionally code for fun.

I'm mainly looking forward to the personal development that studying towards a degree will bring me. I'm not that bothered about the lack of social interaction at OU but I have joined some study groups for my course so won't be completely alone.

I’m also studying TM111, I’m sure we will cross paths during the course 😁
Reply 18
Original post by JohnMarkie
Hi, I'm doing a Diploma in Law, Criminal Law and the Courts starting part time in October. Nervous but after having read around the Open University website and reducing my Student Home page to a mobile view by accident (which I haven't figured out how to get back to the correct screen size yet) am feeling a little more relaxed now after finding someone here with which we can both hopefully support each other. (If I figure out how to get back to this page)

Is that module W111?

I am also doing that module in October. It will be my second module. If you want to buddy up, feel free to private message me.
Reply 19
Hi,
I will be studying childhood and youth studies!

Quick Reply

Latest