The Student Room Group

M6 Edexcel Papers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tiny hobbit
I believe that the numbers for Edexcel S4 are also tiny. They tried to scrap it in 2004 but the few schools that did it kicked up a fuss.

S4 is a silly module really. It would make sense if it had some of the stuff from the old modules - moment generating functions, pgfs, Wilcoxon et al - but as it is S3 and S4 are almost entirely homogenous content, with no real difference in overall level (not to mention much of both being unutterably tedious). In my limited experience I find statistics is reduced to a feeble shadow of what it could be at A Level in a way that mechanics perhaps isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bookmarked for when I can do this :redface:
Some good questions here. I might be able to attempt a couple now that I've finished my work for this weekend.
Original post by Krollo
S4 is a silly module really. It would make sense if it had some of the stuff from the old modules - moment generating functions, pgfs, Wilcoxon et al - but as it is S3 and S4 are almost entirely homogenous content, with no real difference in overall level (not to mention much of both being unutterably tedious). In my limited experience I find statistics is reduced to a feeble shadow of what it could be at A Level in a way that mechanics perhaps isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

go look at S4 OCR MEI. S4 is a massive step up from S3 and has all of the content you mention and much more (experimental design, ANOVA, pgf/mgf, wilcoxon, F test, estimation theory, MLE etc)
Reply 24
Original post by newblood
go look at S4 OCR MEI. S4 is a massive step up from S3 and has all of the content you mention and much more (experimental design, ANOVA, pgf/mgf, wilcoxon, F test, estimation theory, MLE etc)

That sounds very good indeed, and could be useful in getting out the last few questions of STEP III... (I of course was referring to Edexcel).
Original post by Krollo
That sounds very good indeed, and could be useful in getting out the last few questions of STEP III... (I of course was referring to Edexcel).

tis....the S4 question on mgfs in my exam was significantly harder than the pgf question i did in my STEP III paper. Why you should do MEI, it actually includes slightly hard maths and testing questions :wink:
In case people want them, the Edexcel and MEI Curriculum 2000 syllabus are attached (think these were in-force from 2001 to around 2006?)
tis....the S4 question on mgfs in my exam was significantly harder than the pgf question i did in my STEP III paper. Why you should do MEI, it actually includes slightly hard maths and testing questions :wink:

I have integral maths and had some practice on the mechanics OCR MEI questions; they're more about knowing everything about the concepts, but overall they're not that much harder than Edexcel. I'd say the OCR MEI questions tend to expose your understanding of a topic.
Original post by Marxist
I have integral maths and had some practice on the mechanics OCR MEI questions; they're more about knowing everything about the concepts, but overall they're not that much harder than Edexcel. I'd say the OCR MEI questions tend to expose your understanding of a topic.

Surely thats the whole point..
A slight contribution to the corresponding solution bank (if it does not already exist )
Please spot any mistakes.
thanks for sharing.
Original post by shamika
In case people want them, the Edexcel and MEI Curriculum 2000 syllabus are attached (think these were in-force from 2001 to around 2006?)
Surely thats the whole point..

No, I was suggesting that they were 'slightly' harder due to this fact.

Edit: Edexcel do require understanding, but OCR MEI test more concepts. In my opinion
this only makes them slightly harder - not significantly harder as you had written.

It might have been confusing due to the way I worded the reply. Language is not my forte.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Marxist
No, I was suggesting that they were 'slightly' harder due to this fact.

Edit: Edexcel do require understanding, but OCR MEI test more concepts. In my opinion
this only makes them slightly harder - not significantly harder as you had written.

It might have been confusing due to the way I worded the reply. Language is not my forte.

I didnt write anything of the sort.

Re-read my comment. I said a question in my OCR MEI S4 exam was significantly harder than a Stats question in my STEP III exam. Not making any comparisons with Edexcel.
I didnt write anything of the sort.

Re-read my comment. I said a question in my OCR MEI S4 exam was significantly harder than a Stats question in my STEP III exam. Not making any comparisons with Edexcel.

Oops, I see it. That's pretty cool. Have you found any other questions from different modules other than S4 that seemed to be harder than the STEP questions?
Original post by TeeEm

Do you know if there are any solutionbanks for the Edexcel M6 textbook exercises? I realise this message is a little out the blue, I'm self studying and have no solutions to check my working by - are there any good M6 resources out there?
Original post by Mista Dobalina
Do you know if there are any solutionbanks for the Edexcel M6 textbook exercises? I realise this message is a little out the blue, I'm self studying and have no solutions to check my working by - are there any good M6 resources out there?

M6 was taken in the early 2000s, and there were only Solutionbanks for P1, P2, P3, S1,S2, M1, M2 and D1 only. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending