The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Spanish is supposedly used in a large regional places. If we're just talking about functionality.
Tombola
Spanish is supposedly used in a large regional places. If we're just talking about functionality.

Well, this is one thing we can thank colonialism for.

Spanish is of course spoken in large parts of the Americas; French is spoken in most of Africa. But English, with the Sun never setting on the British Empire and all, is spoken in most of the world!
Spanish
Reply 23
Depends whether you're wanting something that'll be useful in a business/career global market way...if so Russian and Chinese.

If you're wanting something useful for holidays etc I would say Spanish as spoken across parts of South America, similarities to Portugese and loosely Italian.
Reply 24
Spanish as it is spoken in Spain, large parts of South America and some parts of North America aswell. Arabic is also becoming more popular and the two have some connections. Perhaps I should learn Arabic. Hmmm...
Reply 25
you said you speak chinese, do you mean mandarin or Cantonese?
Reply 26
Portuguese.

Brazil has a population near to Spanish America all together, with a greater prospect, but far fewer people learn it.
Indian?
Reply 28
Hindi spoken in many countries! and Similar to Arabic n Urdu! but not the script!
Reply 29
Russian and Arabic.

hayleyk
Polish or Arabic, really.

Why..?
Reply 30
Arabic. I've bought arabic for dummies for summer reading :biggrin:
Reply 31
Oh because I meant to write Hindi but was thinking of Poland...

*note to self stop watching multi-language disney songs on youtube*
Reply 32
I'm learning Hebrew.
Reply 33
French is pretty useful, as it's spoken in many countries in both Europe and Africa...and Canada! Spanish, again, is spoken in several places around the world, obviously Latin America but also some countries in Africa. Arabic has a huge number of speakers, so that's another very useful one.

Perhaps an Eastern European language such as Polish eh?! :wink:

The thing is, though, everyone else speaks English :p: It never ceases to amaze me how flawless foreigners are when speaking English, they teach them so well in schools, particularly in Germany. I wish I could speak even one language as well as the Germans seem to be able to speak French and English!
MsScarlett
I already speak english!

Do you? :wink:
Reply 35
Learning any language is advantageous, it significantly increases the number of people you can communicate with, and opens up a number of possibilities with regards to culture and thought. If I was to suggest another language for you to learn I would say German, because it is very well respected internationally and a lot of great thinkers have been German.
Reply 36
I'm learning Mandarin.
Hmmm everyone has such different opinons! I used to do Spanish at school but didn't really like it. I think perhaps Russian or Arabic will be next on my list.
Probably Russian.
And I know what abc101 is saying! I'm recently hosting some chinese students who can speak amazing english, becasue they have been doing it since they were about 6. Yesterday she picked up my book on Lenin by Robert Service and was reading it very very well- and she understood it.
And theres me doing Chinese activity books for 5 year olds!! Ha.
I wish we started a lot earlier and there was more emphasis and CHOICE of languages at school.
Reply 37
Latin, Sanscrit, Hebrew/Arabic, Russian, German and Chinese. They represent all of the groups of languages in common use, and from those, you could probably learn any other language you ever needed to.

Latest

Trending

Trending