The Student Room Group

Should the languages you speak be mentioned in your personal statement?

I've been going to Arabic school since I was 5 (and I've just learnt the language from my parents) and I've also learnt to understand and speak quite a bit of Spanish.
Is this relevant in a dentistry application?
Speaking multiple languages is always useful as you can communicate effectively with people whose first language is not English so it might be worth mentioning it if you have the space
Possibly. You need to explain how advantageous that would be when in practice. Personally, I didn’t mention my languages and got accepted for my course. I spoke more about my different work experiences that developed me into a suitable candidate for the course.
Reply 3
Original post by Fermion.
Possibly. You need to explain how advantageous that would be when in practice. Personally, I didn’t mention my languages and got accepted for my course. I spoke more about my different work experiences that developed me into a suitable candidate for the course.

The thing is I was meant to do way more work experience these past few months but corona kinda ruined that
Original post by xxlaila03xx
The thing is I was meant to do way more work experience these past few months but corona kinda ruined that

The universities are aware of this and should be willing to allow it. Do you have any work experience? If not then I would probably talk about the languages.
I mentioned it in mine (for Biology in Glasgow), but I don't think it's essential. I wouldn't devote too many words to it if you include it
Reply 6
Original post by Fermion.
The universities are aware of this and should be willing to allow it. Do you have any work experience? If not then I would probably talk about the languages.

I've shadowed a dentist
And I've been working as a teaching assistant at my Arabic school for the past year
Shadowing is good as it gives you an insight into the role, which you should reflect on in your PS. You could use the TA role to show some of your skills too, along with any other volunteering etc. you have done
Reply 8
Original post by Interrobang
Shadowing is good as it gives you an insight into the role, which you should reflect on in your PS. You could use the TA role to show some of your skills too, along with any other volunteering etc. you have done

thank youu so much
Reply 9
did you end up doing it? im thinking of doing that aswell but im not sure if i should
Original post by laila03x
I've been going to Arabic school since I was 5 (and I've just learnt the language from my parents) and I've also learnt to understand and speak quite a bit of Spanish.
Is this relevant in a dentistry application?
Reply 10
Original post by set1xoxo
did you end up doing it? im thinking of doing that aswell but im not sure if i should

doing what haha

i forgot about this post entirely
i’m a third year dental student now 💀

idt i included the part where i can understand spanish but i did talk about how i can speak arabic i’m pretty sure
Reply 11
Original post by laila03x
doing what haha

i forgot about this post entirely
i’m a third year dental student now 💀

idt i included the part where i can understand spanish but i did talk about how i can speak arabic i’m pretty sure

😭😭😭omg
okay imma do that too then it clearly worked mashallah
which uni do you study at x
Reply 12
Original post by set1xoxo
😭😭😭omg
okay imma do that too then it clearly worked mashallah
which uni do you study at x

hey sorry i barely use tsr

i’m at kings :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest