The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ronaldo VII
Good job the players don't have that attitude :rolleyes:

Good job the players are getting the results, which is all that matters :rolleyes:

Rio Ferdinand summed it up perfectly. We didn't play the best, but we won five-one, which is all that matters at the end of the day.
The score line was flattering for a start. Do you think Capello will say "You won 5-1, so I wont bother with tactics this week or how we can improve on the performance. Well done, lads." Will he ********. Why do you think he was still standing out in the technical area at 5-1? By your reconning, he should have sat down after the 3rd went in, at the latest.
Ronaldo VII
It wasn't perfect, so why should people treat it as such? :rolleyes:

Very seldom (ever?) will you get a perfect performance.

I do agree with Stu Laverty that we're too hard on ourselves sometimes/a lot of the time. Naturally, I blame McClaren :smile:
Ascient
Very seldom (ever?) will you get a perfect performance.

I do agree with Stu Laverty that we're too hard on ourselves sometimes/a lot of the time. Naturally, I blame McClaren :smile:

Exactly, which is why the best are always striving to improve. If you stand still, you go backwards.
Ronaldo VII
The score line was flattering for a start. Do you think Capello will say "You won 5-1, so I wont bother with tactics this week or how we can improve on the performance. Well done, lads." Will he ********. Why do you think he was still standing out in the technical area at 5-1? By your reconning, he should have sat down after the 3rd went in, at the latest.

Firstly, no I didn't even imply such a thing. I merely stated that England might not have played perfectly, and that will be seen to by the manager, and I have full faith in Capello. The point is, that we won 5-1, in a scoreline that, yes, it was flattering, but its just annoying to see so many people like yourself being so pedantic about it all.

But why should we concentrate on saying what was bad about this performance when something must have worked because we won 5 ******* 1? He put on SWP, the whole thing worked and now Capello has probably worked out "hey, Rooney works well close to Heskey and SWP adds more pace. Beckham is still good for the last few minutes and two more solid performances from Lampard and Barry". But for fans such as yourself its the same old ignorant "right, well we'll ignore the positives, and berate our team for winning five one because we didn't quite pass the ball as beautifully as Brazil in the first half, Gerrard scored no goals and Ashley Cole sucks ass."

Clearly, there's something ****** up about that. And quite clearly, you love to twist words in your own favour, looking into connotations that I didn't even suggest. I even stated "Rio Ferdinand said it perfectly" then proceeded to say what Rio had said about it not being perfect, and you still assume that I was encouraging England to leave it at 3-1? Surely, you see, that you have tried petty little semantics to try and win the argument, and failed?
I'm not the one trying to create an argument from nothing. The fact we won 5-1 against a team ranked ~130th is irrelevant, especially as it was a flattering scoreline. Just because we won by 4 goals, it doesn't mean we should ignore the negatives. If you don't like discussions, please leave as this is a message board where such things occur. If you want to suck their dicks cos we beat a pub team 5-1, go ahead, but don't tell me what I can and can't do.
Ronaldo VII
I'm not the one trying to create an argument from nothing. The fact we won 5-1 against a team ranked ~130th is irrelevant, especially as it was a flattering scoreline. Just because we won by 4 goals, it doesn't mean we should ignore the negatives. If you don't like discussions, please leave as this is a message board where such things occur. If you want to suck their dicks cos we beat a pub team 5-1, go ahead, but don't tell me what I can and can't do.

I'm not trying to avoid discussions, I just hate asinine comments such as yourself who are so pejorative towards our country instead of having faith that the man in charge will get it right, which he did again. When the hell have I ever said ignore the negatives? I just feel the players don't get praised as much as they can, and its always such a retarded thing to complain about your side winning by four goals. You're the one avoiding discussion by being totally oblivious to my points because.

And surely, if I am the one trying to create an argument from nothing, then you can't say I don't like discussions. For the second time, you have shown mass idiocy in your posts by contradicting yourself. Please think before you type.

"The fact we won 5-1 against a team ranked ~130th is irrelevant"

Wait ... we got three points. Wait, we increased our goal difference by four. And wait, we are top of our group and looking good value for our lead. And its irrelevant, meaning its meaningless? Hold on ... are you for ******* real!? I mean, seriously? Are you - for ******* REAL? Are you completely ******* retarded? Seriously.

God have mercy ....

Irrelevant is such a horrible word to use in that case. It can be perceived in so many ways. Such as implying that you don't even care that we won.
Lol. You need to look at the bigger picture. Qualification is irrelevant as we should do it with ease. I don't care that we increased our goal difference by 4. That wont help us in South Africa.

Perhaps this is cos you're a Newcastle fan that isn't used to a team winning, let alone by 4 goals, so you think there is a need to get your cock out and start fapping away. Perhaps.

I'll ask you this one final thing: What is wrong in trying to improve? Answer me just that, not an essay, not a rant like RobbieC but without the humour or good English lad reference. I don't care about your short sightedness, just answer me that one question.

Also, irrelevant does not mean the same as meaningless. You should know that.
Ronaldo VII
Lol. You need to look at the bigger picture. Qualification is irrelevant as we should do it with ease. I don't care that we increased our goal difference by 4. That wont help us in South Africa.

Perhaps this is cos you're a Newcastle fan that isn't used to a team winning, let alone by 4 goals, so you think there is a need to get your cock out and start fapping away. Perhaps.

I'll ask you this one final thing: What is wrong in trying to improve? Answer me just that, not an essay, not a rant like RobbieC but without the humour or good English lad reference. I don't care about your short sightedness, just answer me that one question.

I laugh at you commenting about short sightedness. Perhaps I for one, value every three points because had we beaten teams like Kazakhstan in qualifying last time, instead of getting a draw (e.g. with Macedonia at home) then we would have at least reached the play offs.

And we are qualifying with ease. Conceding two goals and scoring ELEVEN in three games? And we're not qualifying with ease. Surely, that's easy enough so far.

Oh, funny, a Newcastle joke. I don't care, I have enough pride to admit my team's ****, but at least I support them and take everything I can get, for both my club and country. Sorry if five-one (FIVE ******* ONE?) isn't good enough for you. I must live in bizarro land where five-one could possibly be seen as a bad thing.

There's nothing wrong with trying to improve, but why complain about a performance which clearly worked because we won ... once again I repeat FIVE ******* ONE. Why complain about that? Against Belarus, Capello will have fixed the wrongs, because that's the sort of man he is. What I don't get, is why people complain about Gerrard's performance, when it was rectified when SWP came on. Surely that implication that Capello looked to improve, and he did. He fixed the negative and turned it into a positive. If that doesn't fill you with optimism, I doubt anything ever will.

Trying to improve can also have MANY negative implications. See, why fix something that isn't broken. If my toaster works fine, and toasts my toast to the right level, but it only does two piece, and I try to modify it to cook four pieces, surely I run more risk of damaging my already fine toaster? Another example is the Hindenburg. Now, people wanted to make the largest flying machine ever, so they filled it with Hydrogen (because it was cheaper) instead of Helium, Helium being totally inflammable and Hydrogen being quite combustible to say the least. It was the biggest flying machine at the time. And what happened? It set fire. The moral of the story? The other flying machines were working fine with Helium, but they wanted improvement and it didn't work. Don't fix what isn't broken. There was nothing drastically wrong with our performance, just little things which are meaningless in the bigger picture (which is quite funny, since you too brought that up. Isn't it great how words can be twisted against you?). We got our victory and can look onwards with 9 points at our next game.

"Also, irrelevant does not mean the same as meaningless. You should know that."

Actually, due to our language being a lot more serving, especially in debates, to connotations and not denotations, I think it does mean meaningless. Its literal meaning is "not related", which surely it is because we're discussing it, but the connotations are that you just don't care and would complain about the performance no matter what. Read into semantics.

As it is, I'm off to bed, but I hope to read a well proof-read reply tomorrow :wink: Try to avoid the oxymorons and contradictions, because it does make perceiving your issues very challenging. Happy arguing!
My complaints about the performance are with a view to improve. We wouldn't win the world cup with performances like todays and that is what I want from the national team; to win the world cup. However far off it seems, it isn't impossible. I'm not saying anything else as I'm just repeating myself. Comparing England's performance to a toaster really takes the piss. I'll be back on Wednesday to analyse the performance again and comment on what I hope to see be improved for whoever we play after that. One thing I will say that is if you ever criticise anything on here again and I see it, you're getting an essay :colonhash:
Ronaldo VII
My complaints about the performance are with a view to improve. We wouldn't win the world cup with performances like todays and that is what I want from the national team; to win the world cup. However far off it seems, it isn't impossible. I'm not saying anything else as I'm just repeating myself. Comparing England's performance to a toaster really takes the piss. I'll be back on Wednesday to analyse the performance again and comment on what I hope to see be improved for whoever we play after that. One thing I will say that is if you ever criticise anything on here again and I see it, you're getting an essay :colonhash:

Ever seen Brazil during qualifiying? They play well, but not nearly as good as in the actual world cup. Same with Argentina. As I've already said as well, Germany play crappy football and get to loads of finals. Its not the worst, but its definitely not pretty but they get the results and in the end I'd rather the team play **** and we get to the final than the team playing well and getting to the quarter finals.

And the toaster analogy was totally appropriate. I put it in a way that even you could understand. If you don't like it, there's always the Hindenburg analogy which you so eloquently ignored - however I have come to accept such ignorance from yourself.
Good result for Ing-er-land last night. I thought 5-1 was a bit flattering but oh well. But Gerrard's just not cutting it at the moment. Shouldn't have played yesterday and shouldn't play on Wednesday.
Reply 4012
"If there was a penalty awarded for every tug, push, or pull in the box then we would have very exciting penalties"

yours truly,

David Pleat. :p:
Stu Laverty
Ever seen Brazil during qualifiying? They play well, but not nearly as good as in the actual world cup. Same with Argentina. As I've already said as well, Germany play crappy football and get to loads of finals. Its not the worst, but its definitely not pretty but they get the results and in the end I'd rather the team play **** and we get to the final than the team playing well and getting to the quarter finals.

And the toaster analogy was totally appropriate. I put it in a way that even you could understand. If you don't like it, there's always the Hindenburg analogy which you so eloquently ignored - however I have come to accept such ignorance from yourself.

There is a difference between playing crappy football and playing crap, not that I would expect you to know the difference.
Ronaldo VII
There is a difference between playing crappy football and playing crap, not that I would expect you to know the difference.

Of course not, after all I've already broadcasted my knowledge, yet you give nothing in return to suggest that I should even listen to your inferior arguments full of passives and literal perceptions of connotations.

So, if England played crap, and we won 5-1, surely that's something to be OPTIMISTIC about? Great teams win games they don't deserve to, and we still even deserved to win, but even more convincingly than the first half would suggest. Yet Capello fixed the "faults" that you've said for the second half and it was a joy to behold. Where's the negative in that? Clearly, he fixed it.

Jesus, man, you're hopeless.
He now has to fix the faults in the 2nd half. Are we allowed to discuss them? :smile:
Ronaldo VII
He now has to fix the faults in the 2nd half. Are we allowed to discuss them? :smile:

No, because that's just being pedantic, as they're so few and far between and so minor that it isn't even worth the effort of your lethargic and worn-out pejorations.
Stu Laverty
No, because that's just being pedantic, as they're so few and far between and so minor that it isn't even worth the effort of your lethargic and worn-out pejorations.

So few and far between? :laugh: we were **** in the 2nd half.
Ronaldo VII
So few and far between? :laugh: we were **** in the 2nd half.

And scored five goals? Must have been doing something right. Is the few-and-far between bit the only thing you understood in the sentence why you brought it up? Aw, bless. The only real negative was Cole's error, which was just a mistake, and it wasn't exactly Fabien Barthez against Arsenal. We made up for it.
Stu Laverty
And scored five goals? Must have been doing something right. Is the few-and-far between bit the only thing you understood in the sentence why you brought it up? Aw, bless. The only real negative was Cole's error, which was just a mistake, and it wasn't exactly Fabien Barthez against Arsenal. We made up for it.

:reel:

We played well in the 2nd half, but set pieces apart it wasn't that good really. Didn't match up to the Croatia performance and against inferior opposition. How do you rate the performance yesterday in terms of England performances in the past?

Latest