The Student Room Group

OCR - F297: Strategic Management (June 2011)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AndSparkles
Erm... this might sound really stupid, but what the hell is apt analysis? I'm sure I've never learnt it.

And this is def for the exam on Wed about Belvoir Park?

APT analysis is an analysis for the case study which some schools purchase or even students to help them..it is useful because it pretty much gives you the answers and a structure to start writing from..personally it has helped me because I haven't had to go over much other than the content in the analysis.

And yes this is for the BPL case study, mine is on Monday however.
Woah. That's annoying. Surely that gives students an unfair advantage over students which don't have the money (or their schools/colleges) to purchase these reports?
What pointers is the report giving? If it means I don't have to go over 20 chapters of the textbook I'll take anything right now.

And why on monday?
Reply 42
Woah. That's annoying. Surely that gives students an unfair advantage over students which don't have the money (or their schools/colleges) to purchase these reports?
What pointers is the report giving? If it means I don't have to go over 20 chapters of the textbook I'll take anything right now.

And why on monday?

Mines on monday too...are you sure yours is on wednesday?!
Oh ****. Yeah its on monday. I got it confused with my human biology exam. You can tell I'm stressed. :s

Also, I found a free report type thing.. for anyone that hasn't got an apt analysis, it might help a bit.
http://www.obolynx.com/educator/info/ocr-f297-belvoir-park-ltd-bpl-2011-case-study-exposition
Reply 44
Any guesses on what might be on?
Reply 45
Does anybody have any ways of structuring essays regarding strategy?
Reply 46
My guesses:
1 a) calculation on decision tree, OCR will give the missing figures for us to work out
1 b) based on deciison tree and other factors, should BPL purchase the land?

the remaining 3 questions could be on:

Reversing the decline in net profit margin
Does exchange rate OR GDP affect BPL's ability to acheive its objectives?
How does strategic managment help BPL acheive its objectives? (that's tools available like product portfolio, SWOT analysis, PEST, Ansoff's and boston matrix)
Is Bpl's balance sheet healthy?
The current method of allocation of overheads to profit centres (done solely on employee numbers) - is it fair? suggest a new one (absorbtion)
Why has the room occupancy decreased?
Suggest methods to increase room occupancy
Was the managment of the change of renumeration strategy effectively managed? if not whose fault was it etc.
Evaluate Wilhelm's leadership style

Hope this is helpful to some?

I know strategy questions are anwered by discussing a few possible solutions to the problem and then suggesting the best one, or best blend of the metioned options, but I have no idea how to answer this question:
"discuss strategies BPL could use to reduce reliance of the peripheral income streams on the hotel"
any ideas?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
I was trying to write an answer for that
'discuss strategies BPL could use to reduce reliance of the peripheral income streams on the hotel'

and i literally dont know what to do. I know you have to link afew things in together that would work but I dont even know what the peripheral income streams are?
And another major thing im stuck on is 'How does strategic managment help BPL acheive its objectives?' We didnt do about SWOT analysis cos my teacher got ill at the end of the course so i am CLUELESS on how to answer it :/
Reply 48
I realllly don't know what to write in the strategy questions, especially 'how does strategic managment help BPL acheive its objectives' and 'discuss strategies BPL could use to reduce reliance of the peripheral income streams on the hotel'

I really hope all the questions are straight forward, but i'm not sure what they are going to give us for the 23 mark question at the end, because i would have thought something to do with which option to take, but it would make sense for that question to be 1b) if 1a) is the decision tree!
Reply 49
I thought the 23 marker would be on decide what option to take becuase I can think of loads to write for it, but i imagine it will be part b to the first question after they give us more parts of the decision tree.

Strategic management is the whole unit isnt it so what the hell do you write in the answer! Does it mean like the objective of increasing room occupancy can link in with reversing the decline of revenue becuase more people in the hotel means a higher room occupancy and more profit?
Reply 50
Original post by sloth1
I thought the 23 marker would be on decide what option to take becuase I can think of loads to write for it, but i imagine it will be part b to the first question after they give us more parts of the decision tree.

Strategic management is the whole unit isnt it so what the hell do you write in the answer! Does it mean like the objective of increasing room occupancy can link in with reversing the decline of revenue becuase more people in the hotel means a higher room occupancy and more profit?

In our mock the 23 marker was the decide which option to take (which i would really like to be the 23 marker this time too!) Guess we'll see!
Reply 51
i think the main thing with strategy is writing about how it will affect bpl in the long term

im dreading this exam
Reply 52
does anyone have the mark scheme for the jan 2011 paper?
I'm really hoping forecasting doesn't come up. I'm just revising it and I feel clueless :s
Reply 54
I'm really hoping forecasting doesn't come up. I'm just revising it and I feel clueless :s

If it were to come up, what exactly would they do a question about for BPL? I'm not sure it will come up tbh (hopefully it won't anyway!)
I'd say something like a graph? Where you have to plot some of the values, give line of best fit and forecast the values for the first two quarters of the year.

That or a table to complete with cyclical variations and average cyclical variations etc.
Reply 56
Oh ****. Yeah its on monday. I got it confused with my human biology exam. You can tell I'm stressed. :s

Also, I found a free report type thing.. for anyone that hasn't got an apt analysis, it might help a bit.
http://www.obolynx.com/educator/info/ocr-f297-belvoir-park-ltd-bpl-2011-case-study-exposition

Hey,
I found this too a couple of days ago as i was desperately looking for some help! I am struggling so much with the revision for this exam, my teacher has not taught me a single thing if i'm honest, so it's so hard to know where to start!
one of the questions that i really don't understand is:
"recommend a strategy for BPL to continue reducing the golf club waiting list?"
Why would they want to reduce the waiting list? Surely it gives them leeway if existing customers were to revert their membership?
I am so lost & was wondering whether you are anymore in the light than i am?
Reply 57
I'd say something like a graph? Where you have to plot some of the values, give line of best fit and forecast the values for the first two quarters of the year.

That or a table to complete with cyclical variations and average cyclical variations etc.

Hmm yeah maybe, but we came to the conclusion on our lessons that considering the maths question is 13 marks, that could be challenging to some in the amount of time?
Original post by JEWEL13
Hey,
I found this too a couple of days ago as i was desperately looking for some help! I am struggling so much with the revision for this exam, my teacher has not taught me a single thing if i'm honest, so it's so hard to know where to start!
one of the questions that i really don't understand is:
"recommend a strategy for BPL to continue reducing the golf club waiting list?"
Why would they want to reduce the waiting list? Surely it gives them leeway if existing customers were to revert their membership?
I am so lost & was wondering whether you are anymore in the light than i am?

Hahaha, I noticed that I didn't know much when I really looked at the textbook. I think reducing the waiting list would mean they get more income from subscriptions etc.

Original post by hannahsl
Hmm yeah maybe, but we came to the conclusion on our lessons that considering the maths question is 13 marks, that could be challenging to some in the amount of time?

Yeah exactly.. tbh I don't see how you can get 13 marks in a calculation question at all. I'm hoping for the decision tree.. at least I know what the **** I'm doing. :tongue:

Is there a set structure on number of questions and the marks for them? We've never discussed it..
Thanks for replying!! God I am so so so dreading the exam!! So if one of the questions asked us to recommend a strategy to achieve wilhelms objectives what area of the case study would you go into??

The APT analysis is just a booklet that a company makes up analysing the case study!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! Lets hope out paper is nice unlike the rest of the OCR papers lately!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending