The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
buump
Reply 101
bump
I did geography and I found it okay, however we did the OCR exams and we had to remember 14 case studies and 25% of the grade was your controlled assessment on fieldwork but now the specification is changing I think. My friends did history and thought it was difficult however I would say to pick a subject you enjoy more because then when it comes to revising you won't dread it.
I took both History and Geography at GCSE and personally I found history more difficult.
I got an A in geography and a B in history (which was much higher than I was expecting).
The geography content is quite straight forward and there isn't too much to learn really apart from key words and case studies etc. It's pretty easy to remember :smile:
In history the course is much more dense and there is generally more to learn: having to memorise dates, names and countries and then piecing these facts together to form a coherent exam essay answer can be pretty difficult even if you forget only a little part.
I found the history course quite confusing because I wasn't too familiar with politics etc. so it took me longer to even understand what I'd been taught in the lesson.

From my experience it's harder to get a high grade in GCSE history than it is in GCSE geography.

I hope this made sense, sorry if I rambled too much haha :smile:
Reply 104
bump
Reply 105
bump
Original post by Txhmid
I am currently deciding what to do for GCSE
Which one is harder AND WHY!

Depends on whether you prefer writing essays (History) or memorising a bunch of case studies (Geography). Both are difficult in different ways - depends on what YOU find difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had the option of both and got 100% in both, Certainly enjoyed History more than geography but geography was easier.
Original post by Txhmid

a lot of people think that history is harder but truth be told if you really do get your head down and sort out your exam techniques, its not too hard. Also, I have friends doing GCSE Geography and they're always complaining about the amount of case studies they have to learn and the coursework they have.
Original post by Txhmid

I took both Geography and History. I found Geography easier to remember stuff for, but both subjects are really interesting. I think History is harder to remember as you have to remember like the exact dates and stuff, but for the Geography case studies you only need to know like When, Where, and like 3 Effects or whatever. That is what I did and I got full marks on my Physical Geography paper.
History! Although I'm not taking geography so I wouldn't be able to compare but I'm quite interested in learning it as well but I didn't elect it was my IGCSE subjects so..

History takes a lot of work and effort though, requires loads of hours to get things through (I mean, that's for me) and it requires a LOT of writing in the exam. So you should probably check out some of the past years ahha!

Good luck in picking them out. Sorry if I couldn't help much but history's a tough one for me.
Original post by Txhmid

When I was choosing my options I found history to be too hard and I picked geography.
History involves a lot of essay writing whereas geography involves a lot of case studies that you have to memorise and learn for the exam.
Reply 112
bump
Reply 113
Original post by Txhmid
bump

After 100 replies surely you have enough to decide which to do? =P

But anyways, I did History and I thought I found it hard but I revised literally the night before and got an A*, whereas I'm not sure I'd be able to do that with Geography (although I didn't take it so I have no idea). Basically if you're good at structuring an essay and writing quickly, then take History as you really don't need to memorise loads of specific details as some people have said - just enough for the examiner to think you know what you're talking about.

However I also find the subject Geography in itself incredibly dull, I can't stand learning about rivers or beaches or population.
(edited 8 years ago)
GCSE Geography I imagine, because from what I saw it seemed so awfully dull I don't know how anyone can put themselves through that personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did both and found Geography easier. Enjoyed History more though.
Original post by Txhmid

History because you need to remember multiple dates and in geography you just need to know about the coastal zone and human geography, much easier, but coursework is another story.
I took History GCSE and Geography iGCSE, personally I found History to be much easier, the levelled marking system for Geography essays was never something I could get my head around. I got an A* in History and an A in Geography though, so I imagine that if I hadn't gone for double humanities I'd have pulled off the A* in Geography. The best option is probably just to go with which one you're most interested in;enjoying the subject will make writing essays, and doing coursework, a little easier.
I never did Geography, but all my friends who did do it took one look at my History work and said it looked 10x more difficult than anything they had to do. It obviously depends on you and what you're good at, but History isn't as bad if you're naturally good at essay writing and drawing your own conclusions on historical events (or at least, you're willing to practice it). From what I understand of it, Geography is better if you're more inclined to remember straight facts and be able to apply them to situations in the way that you do for the sciences.
Reply 119
bump

Latest